UKC

UKC Forum dark mode

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Escher 22 Jul 2021

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the colour of the forum? White text on a black background really messes up my vision. Thanks

In reply to Escher:

You can switch between dark/light using the Day/Night mode link at the bottom of every page. It defaults to what your OS is setup to use.

Post edited at 09:19
OP Escher 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thank you

afx22 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Escher:

Incidentally, thee seemed to be a change recently.  In Dark Mode (running Safari on an ipad), the background colour switched from a deep grey to straight black.  This made it awkward to read (for me), so I’m trying it with Dark Mode switched off.

Dave Garnett 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Escher:

I though UKC Dark Mode might be a suggestion for a new forum. 

In reply to afx22:

I've changed it from the straight black. Still need to do more work on dark mode tbh.

afx22 22 Jul 2021

Apologies for taking the thread off on tangents - but there’s also blank space in both the left and right margins on the iPad.

Carry on!

In reply to afx22:

Should look better now. The addition of Tokyo 2020 to the menu was throwing it out.

George Ormerod 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I though UKC Dark Mode might be a suggestion for a new forum. 

It's a new action thriller where a team of old trad farts 'with a very special set of skills' (mainly drinking Landlord and talking shite) hunt down anyone who thinks Three Pebble Slab is E1, tell them they are lightweights and give them a wedgie. 

afx22 22 Jul 2021

It does look better.  Thanks Paul.

You say you've changed night mode from straight black. I see it's #111111  !!! I don't think the human eye can discern the difference from #000000. I've just tried in Photoshop comparing different areas of black and it seems to have to be about #2c2c2c before there's any discernible difference.

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Maybe my monitor is better I see a difference here quite clearly.

I've made it the same colour as Reddit uses. Hopefully that's better for those sensitive to it.

OK, you might be able to see a subtle difference comparing one with the other, but the point is that anyone using the dark mode is not comparing the background with anything. It just looks black, very black. Pretty much pure black. Why not just ease it off a bit more, and maybe put a faint touch of colour into it, e.g. blue??

ChrisBrooke 22 Jul 2021

It's like, how much more black could the dark mode be? And the answer is 'none.' None more black.

Garethza 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Escher:

The previous background colour was a bit more easy on the eyes, however the new black (not #000 one) seems to be better but i still prefer the way it was! 

freeflyer 22 Jul 2021

> Maybe my monitor is better I see a difference here quite clearly.

> I've made it the same colour as Reddit uses. Hopefully that's better for those sensitive to it.

Cracking monitor comment

I think you should allow Gordon to have his own set of colours.

In reply to freeflyer:

On my huge and fantastic iMac retina 4K 21.5 inch desktop monitor in my office of course I can see it. But 95% of the time most people on this planet, including myself, are not using such things but a lap top, iPhone, iBook etc, etc, etc, out in the real world, often out of doors in quite bright conditions, etc etc. Also, I assume most people would only be using the Dark Mode quite rarely at night, e.g. in bed, on an iBook or laptop of some kind. Also, I think most people would not have their screen on maximum brightness, particularly if they're in bed with someone else

Post edited at 23:41
 FactorXXX 22 Jul 2021

> On my huge and fantastic Apple desktop monitor in my office of course I can see it. But 95% of the time most people on this planet, including myself, are not using such things but a lap top, iPhone, iBook etc, etc, etc, out in the real world, often out of doors in quite bright conditions, etc etc.

Not sure if UKC have made any changes since you voiced your original concerns, but to me, the forum background is more charcoal grey as opposed to black and the difference is obvious - Comparing the forum background against the header containing the UKC logo is a simple way to see that difference.  
I personally think the current 'Night Mode' is just about right.  Not overly dark background and with the clickable icons/features being nicely subtle.
Nice one UKC. 😀

In reply to freeflyer:

On my 13-inch MacBook Pro laptop my screen is typically on about 70-85% maximum brightness. Only out of doors in extremely bright conditions do I ever turn it up to 100%.

In reply to FactorXXX:

Yes, he's changed it now to #181818 And yes, it's probably about right now for all conditions, but I'd still be tempted to spin in a subtle trace of colour (probably very, very slightly blue to imitate night time colour temperature/ movie moonlight conventions, etc etc)

Post edited at 00:07
 Timmd 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I though UKC Dark Mode might be a suggestion for a new forum. 

Those thoughts that people have but most never share or act upon.

I only choose pure black before because it offers a battery saving on devices with OLED screens. They light up each pixel individually.

It does look better being slightly grey

Post edited at 10:37
 Luke90 23 Jul 2021

I think this thread shows that you don't just need a binary dark mode switch. Based on the comments so far, I propose:

• Light mode
  • Dark mode
  • Medium grey mode
  • OLED energy-saving black mode
  • Dark with a subtle hint of colour that evokes moonlight reflecting on the lake as you bathe with your beloved mode
In reply to Luke90:

I'll add that to the todo list

Looking forward to seeing what you do

Alkis 23 Jul 2021

My vote is for a Geocities mode!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...