UKC

UKC General Election Exit Poll

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cú Chullain 12 Dec 2019

Scores on the doors

I voted Lib Dem at 7am this morning

MG 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I very reluctantly voted Labour at 7.10

OP Cú Chullain 12 Dec 2019
In reply to MG:

I live in one of the few Lib Dem strongholds, basically they have a 10,000 majority over the Conservatives, then daylight, then Lord Buckethead's cousin, some moss, then Labour

MG 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I'm in a Lab/Con marginal.

I believe Lord Buckethead's intergalatic advice was to vote tactically this time.

subtle 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

SNP

No Tories in Scotland - and potentially less than 5 Labour MPs in Scotland as well!

MG 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

So it looks like a Lib/Lab/SNP hung parliament then. 

steve taylor 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib Dem via proxy 

Ecce Homer 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted Tory at 9:10

MG 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Ecce Homer:

With enthusiasm?

BnB 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib Dem by post

krikoman 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour, with some emotion

skog 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I voted SNP about a week and a half ago (by post).

We're a Tory/SNP marginal, so fingers crossed. The forecast is poor for the evening, which might adversely affect turnout; good turnout is going to be key for us.

Ben_Climber 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib Dem/ Con marginal.

Voted Lib Dam 7.30

girlymonkey 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

SNP, postal vote so sent it on Monday

johncook 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I have voted. That now gives me the right to indulge in praise/complaints for who-ever is in power. Those who don't vote have removed their right to praise/complain as they couldn't make the effort when they had a chance. 

P.S. This was a vote for the least bad of the choices. 

Ian W 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour, with reluctance, in  a lab/con marginal (500 votes) in a strongly leave area. 

Normally would be libdem but they have been almost literally invisible in the campaign, and stand no chance whatever. Incumbent labour is ok, but very traditional and not so dynamic, but at least she voted against Corbyn in the leadership contest. Brexit party candidate was the best of the lot (but for the joint worst party), and he probably annoyed Farage and Johnson whenever he appeared on TV (lucid, honest answers). The tory, who i suspect will win, is a bright young thing who used to do the PR for Cuadrilla amongst others, is completely on message Tory wise (i.e. not especially honest), and has campaigned to the already converted. 

neilh 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib Dem by post

In a swing seat with Tories expected to win from a Labour MP.

I refuse to vote tactically for either Labour or the Tories.

Doug 12 Dec 2019

I've not voted as I've been out of the UK > 15 years while benefitting from the EU's Freedom of Movement so although I'm one of those with the most to loose with Brexit, I have no vote

Andypeak 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lab/con marginal seat.

Voted Labour at 7.30 but would have voted lib dem if they had a candidate in my constituency.

oldie 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Andypeak:

Tactical vote for Lib Dems. Labour has zero chance here.

mrphilipoldham 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Still undecided between Green and Labour. Ruth George (2000ish majority) was impressive handling the Whaley Bridge dam incident so I think she's earned her vote, but I also like the Green chap.

Jackspratt 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib Dem

La benya 12 Dec 2019

In reply to Ecce Homer:

What a strange format to get 3 year old news from. I don’t think I’ve ever known of someone to access their info from Pinterest. 

Just out of curiosity... are you over 60?

summo 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib dem by post. Although irrelevant. Rishi Sunak has a 40,000+ majority. 

stevieb 12 Dec 2019
In reply to summo:

Lib Dem too. 

Looks like a Lib Dem landslide on UKC, so Jo Swinson should start measuring for curtains. 

Rob Exile Ward 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I haven't voted yet but I will this evening. In my case it's easy, following my dictum of voting for the Remain candidate most likely to win, as the local Labour candidate is  fervent Remainer and resigned from the Front Bench in the face of Corbyn's indecisiveness.

Hat Dude 12 Dec 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> Looks like a Lib Dem landslide on UKC, so Jo Swinson should start measuring for curtains. 

Definitely curtains for Jo Swinson

In reply to Hat Dude:

> Definitely curtains for Jo Swinson

Ba-da-boom-tish

Hooo 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib dem. Last minute tactical decision in the booth, based on a hunch that the one in a million chance of getting the Tory out will be Tory remainers switching, and they aren't going to be voting Labour.

Gone for good 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Conservative box ticked at 7.10. Not without some soul searching though. I voted remain in the referendum but truth be told I'm heartily sick of politics in this country and just want Brexit done and dusted so we can move on . Hopefully a healthy Tory majority will let us do that.

Lusk 12 Dec 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> Labour, with some emotion

Labour, with a pencil ...... sorry!
Manchester Withington, just to prevent the slim chance LibDem might regain it.
The Cons, vanishingly small chance of winning, so, bit a useless vote really.

nickprior 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

A scottish constituency with a tory MP so I've lent Nicola my vote. But I want it back again if she goes all Indyref on us!

Andy Johnson 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

Out of interest, how soon do you think brexit will be "done and dusted"?

pasbury 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Not voted yet, tory constituency with 10,000 majority (Forest of Dean).

No LibDem candidate, no Brexit candidate.

I'll be voting Labour with no doubt in my mind. Though it would take a minor miracle for them to win here.

'...just want Brexit done and dusted so we can move on . Hopefully a healthy Tory majority will let us do that.'

I'm afraid to say you are going to be profoundly disappointed.

summo 12 Dec 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> Lib Dem too. 

> Looks like a Lib Dem landslide on UKC, so Jo Swinson should start measuring for curtains. 

Shouty won't need a microphone for any speeches. 

Andy Hardy 12 Dec 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Also voted LD in a Tory / LD marginal. Unfortunately the country as a whole does not follow UKC's lead. Realistic best hope - hung parliament. Realistic worst case scenario - Bozo gets a majority and we (the 99% of the UK electorate) get our rings reamed by the Tory brexit todger, lubeless.

Escher 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Tactically for Labour in a Con/Lab marginal in the hope that Boris does not receive a majority. Like many I don't like Corbyn and distrust those that think the sun shines out of his arse, or indeed anyone who idolises any politician, smacks of lack of critical thinking skills for me.

My strong worry is about rewarding someone who is power hungry and lacking in morals with more power, even if I was a Conservative voter or wanted a no deal Brexit (I don't) I (hope I) still wouldn't vote for him as I think it is very dangerous to hold your nose and vote for someone who is morally bankrupt just to get what you want short term. The "get Brexit done" thing is that whole game played out before our eyes and yet I feel large swathes of the population have fallen for it, it is only about a power grab, bugger all to do with Brexit other than a vehicle for disfunctional egos (for clarity I am talking about Boris and Cummings not those that voted leave). That power will surely corrupt him and our system even more.

Whether or not I agree with Corbyn on anything, I don't believe him to be morally bankrupt nor corrupted by power, unlike Momentum but hey it's complicated! Our democratic system is more important than any one of these politicians.

In reply to Andy Johnson:

> Out of interest, how soon do you think brexit will be "done and dusted"?

A lot quicker than if that idiot Corbyn and his mates were in charge.

'... just want Brexit done and dusted so we can move on.'

I don't think any metaphor could be less appropriate for Brexit than 'done and dusted'. This is a 'clean-up' operation that will take years, more like Chernobyl. There will be very little forward movement for a long time, and much backward.

In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> '...just want Brexit done and dusted so we can move on . Hopefully a healthy Tory majority will let us do that.'

> I'm afraid to say you are going to be profoundly disappointed.

I might end up disappointed, who knows,  but the country would be devastated if Corbyn and his momentum supporters took control. The Conservatives are the lesser of 2 evils.

Escher 12 Dec 2019

> Conservative box ticked at 7.10. Not without some soul searching though. I voted remain in the referendum but truth be told I'm heartily sick of politics in this country and just want Brexit done and dusted so we can move on . Hopefully a healthy Tory majority will let us do that.

I'd recommend watching last night's Newsnight for the debate with political advisors/journalists/experts about "getting Brexit done" in order to set your expectations about how likely that is. AKA not at all likely/impossible.

The New NickB 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I haven't voted yet, will be doing so at about 5 this evening.

I'm in what was probably considered a safe Labour seat, but they had a bit of a scare from UKIP in a 2014 by-election. That was very tactical from the Tories though and they are considered the biggest threat. Tuesday's YouGov poll suggests that it will stay Labour, but my wife went to pick up her daughter from University last night, so that she can vote today.

As you can probably guess, I will be voting Labour, the rest of the household tell me that they will be doing the same.

Post edited at 11:54
Roadrunner6 12 Dec 2019

> I might end up disappointed, who knows,  but the country would be devastated if Corbyn and his momentum supporters took control. The Conservatives are the lesser of 2 evils.

Really, I don't think even with a labour win they'd have the MP's to get the policies through they'd want. Like the Tories now.

I think Brexit will be around for decades. Look at UKIP, just because the country goes one way does not end the debate and politics. And it shouldn't.

mullermn 12 Dec 2019

> I might end up disappointed, who knows,  but the country would be devastated if Corbyn and his momentum supporters took control.

You have to factor in capability as well as intent. They’re pretty (vanishingly) unlikely to get ‘control’ as such, and frankly even if they did the same thing that makes them inept at winning a slam dunk election makes them unlikely to be able to turn society on its head in the way they would ideally like.

In contrast the Tories have more mundane and predictable goals but a much higher likelihood of following through on them. In the real world they’re more dangerous at present. 

edit: This doesn’t mean I think the tories can  ‘follow through’ on Brexit (other than in the sense of shitting their pants), but I think they can cause massive damage while following through on the plan they’ve laid out for attempting to. 

Post edited at 11:44
 Flinticus 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

The two in my household voted Green by postal votes. We're in an SNP Glasgow area and expect them to hold it. I don't mind that: better than either Labour or Tory. My Westminster vote rarely makes a difference but I do it all the same. 

This current bunch of Tories are the great of any number of evils you care to mention.

I rather liked Peter Oborne's assessment. A conservative on what has become of the Conservatives:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/11/boris-johnson-destroy...

laurie 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

labour with the hope Corby can make some reforms to this rotten system

Post edited at 11:49
In reply to The New NickB:

> This current bunch of Tories are the great of any number of evils you care to mention.

> I rather liked Peter Oborne's assessment. A conservative on what has become of the Conservatives:

What a load of sentimental old tosh!! 

Not quite sure why my opening post earned a 'dislike', there are some precious folk around here it would seem.

You must be a fast reader!

In reply to summo:

> Lib dem by post. Although irrelevant. Rishi Sunak has a 40,000+ majority. 

Only 23,000 actually, but he is probably safe.

Welsh Kate 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

A vote that will I hope increase the already unassailable majority of my staunchly remain-voting Labour MP.

MG 12 Dec 2019

A damp-looking Conservative candidate just knocked on my door!  

jkarran 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Still undecided, Green or Labour. Pretty safe Labour seat.

Predicting 80 seat Con majority.

jk

Post edited at 12:13
In reply to Cú Chullain:

The current UKC exit poll is Labour 40.6%, Lib Dems 34.4%, SNP 12.5%, Tories and Greens both on 6.25%.

MG 12 Dec 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> Predicting 80 seat Con majority.

Possibly better than a 10 seat majority.  Johnson, having no moral or political anchor, may judge it better to go for a softer brexit to to maintain his personal power.  With a decent majority he could ignore the head-bangers  more easily.  I'm being optimistic today.

krikoman 12 Dec 2019

>  and just want Brexit done and dusted so we can move on.

Surely the quickest way to deal with Brexit, is to knock it on the head, it's done as soon as we do that.

Thinking it's going to be over by the end of January, you might as well ask Santa to sort it out.

There's years and years of bullshit to wade through, in trade deals and negotiations, before it's over, that is if we end up leaving.

Just want Brexit done!!! F Me!

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour here in High Peak

krikoman 12 Dec 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> Still undecided, Green or Labour. Pretty safe Labour seat.

> jk

Please don't make a mistake.

In reply to MG:

My fear that the head bangers are mostly what he has got left after ripping the soul out of the party.

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

She's a good local MP. The green guy is good, but the race is too tight to call in HP so Ruth needs every vote she can get. The Tory guy is a nasty piece of work from the husting I went to and his trail of twitter posts.

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Tick the box with PEN not Pencil...

Removed User 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Walked into Holmfirth to vote this morning. Voted Labour, I'm a member. Stocked up on drink and munches, I'll be up late.

JamButty 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

i'll be voting Labour tonight as will my daughter with me and the other by proxy.  Its a relatively safe Labour seat,  but could let in Cons if not careful.

Whilst I can't see a situation where Boris isn't PM,  the aim has to be to minimise his majority as much as possible

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voting green, and binge watching the new series of the Marvellous Mrs Maisel on Netflix as it’ll likely be on the banned list if JC wins a majority.

wercat 12 Dec 2019
In reply to La benya:

> Just out of curiosity... are you over 60?

>Jist out of curiosity... are you a stereotyping ageist?<

Post edited at 12:39
 knthrak1982 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Not yet but will be voting Lib Dem. I'm in a safe Tory seat with both Labour and Lib Dems arguing that they are the tactical non- Tory vote, so no hope here really. 

In reply to Welsh Kate:

N Cardiff? 

AndySL 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib Dem here in Tory / LD marginal - hoping to get Tessa back in to replace doormat / yes man James Heappey.

ericinbristol 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted Labour in Bristol Kingswood. Best chance of unseating the Tory MP. Appalled at Swinson's line that Corbyn and Johnson are equally awful - Johnson is worse by a mile. Lib Dems and Greens are likely to be what lets the Tory win in my seat.

I can genuinely say that I have never felt sick with worry about the outcome of a UK election to anything like this degree. We are heading for an extreme right wing government that will make the climate emerency, racism, xenophobia and inequality all worse; will operate by blatant lying and then doubling down on those poisonous lies; and will do serious harm to the economy in its willingness to have a reckless no deal Brexit. A vote for this Tory party under the vile Johnson is a tragic thing for those who have been conned and is a shameful thing who know what he is about.

Post edited at 13:17
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

'Stocked up on drink and munches, I'll be up late.' I think a bottle of scotch and revolver should be enough.

Alex@home 12 Dec 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

You have to vote Ruth. Sadly stopping Tories has to take priority for now and greens have no chance. Good friends of mine have stood as local green candidates recently and they are all completely behind tactical voting today.

It's very far from ideal. Fwiw I'll vote for her when I get home tonight but if we had a sensible system i'd probably vote green

DR 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

SNP at 7:55 this morning in a very marginal SNP/ Tory seat. Got to get the bastards out.

La benya 12 Dec 2019

In reply to Ecce Homer:

Can you point me at the humour in anything you’ve posted? It must have been so subtle as it’s passed me by. 

point remains valid... a social media create for mood boarding your dining room is an odd place for political postings. Seems an odd place to trust.

58?

earlsdonwhu 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted for an Independent. He just seemed like a normal sensible bloke not bogged down by big party dogma. Obviously, he stands no chance but I'm happy to have voted positively.

Ecce Homer 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted Tory at 12:50

La benya 12 Dec 2019
In reply to wercat:

Ironic technical failure there for comedic effect or....

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Have just voted Labour (usually Lib Dem) without enthusiasm, purely tactically, as I see the damage of Brexit to the economy as potentially far greater than anything Labour might do. It's a safe Tory seat (10,500) but my thinking is as follows: if her majority is greatly reduced she'll be much more vulnerable next time, particularly if Brexit is as much of a disaster as I fear. Also, if Labour does badly (i.e. fails even to lead to a hung parliament) then surely that is the end of Corbyn ... he's quite old anyway. It's just conceivable that he could get replaced by the likes of Keir Starmer, who would almost certainly beat BoJo in another election.

Sadly, many/most people in my constituency don't realise just what an extremist my MP, Pauline Latham, is. One reason why I dislike her so much is that she's fundamentally dishonest: she pretends to be a fluffy, middle-of-the-road, small-c conservative, when she's actually a member of the secretive ERG - which isn't mentioned anywhere on her very detailed website. (If you don't believe just how extreme the members of the ERG are, take a look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Research_Group.)

sammy5000 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted labour as did  my partner my mother my father my brother my sister and their partners and my eldest daughter who is currently training to be a teacher at the age of 23 with a mountain of student debt and holding down a full time job in a restaurant.

Do you think the conservatives will start grant systems up for the less privileged.

I f...cking doubt it horrible set of .......s!

In reply to Ecce Homer:

>  Voted Tory at 12:50

You voted twice? I'm sure you voted Tory earlier this morning.

Ecce Homer 12 Dec 2019

Voted Tory at 13:31

Yes, he told us he voted Tory at 9:10. If so, he's committed a serious criminal offence.

Ah, he's now telling us he's voted a third time, with a . I suppose this is his idea of his self-proclaimed 'sense of humour'.

Post edited at 13:32
 Dave Garnett 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> I'll be up late.

I’m 8 hours behind in California so at least I don’t have to do that.

In reply to Ecce Homer:

>  Voted Tory at 12:50

Did you forget to switch sock puppets?

Ecce Homer 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Hmm... I wonder what is more likely?

Do you really think that if I had the wit and the balls to be able to vote twice I’d be advertising on here!

What a moron!

In reply to Ecce Homer:

What was your point in telling us you voted twice, then? I think that's pretty moronic.

Gary Gibson 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour for me. Our local MP is Karen Bradley who became Minister for Northern Ireland and didn’t know where it was. She also didn’t challenge major potential redundancies in the NHS locally.

Dr.S at work 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib Dem at 720

MeMeMe 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Just voted Labour in a strong Tory seat (there's never been anyone in it but a Tory).

Was undecided between Labour and Green but since the popular sitting MP decided he'd had enough of the Tory party and wants to be mayor of London instead then I thought that might cause enough chaos that Labour had a chance although it seems incredibly unlikely.

Philip 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lab, tactically about a week ago.

We have a conservative candidate who is currently divorcing the previous conservative (outgoing MP) for the area. So she knows what a Tory b***ard is but decided to be one.

La benya 12 Dec 2019

To look big in front of internet strangers? Same reason he keeps calling people names. 

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted Labour 11:30

after consulting the UKC, my disabled mate and my conscience.

alastairmac 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Only one way to go in Scotland. SNP. Out with the Tories and in with democracy.

Carless 12 Dec 2019

>  just want Brexit done and dusted so we can move on

Hi Wanderer100: I wouldn't normally be this direct, but do you really mean this?

If yes, try engaging your brain

George Ormerod 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour by postal proxy a couple of weeks ago.  Con / Labour marginal with a 3000 majority to the Cons.  I'm no Corbyn fan, it's a judgement on who will f*ck the country up least:  The lying, policy free Conservative offering, with a sinister undercurrent attacking the rule of law leaves me cold.

Snyggapa 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib dem for the first time in my life. Libcon marginal

drunken monkey 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted SNP here (In a Tory held seat). Will be tough as he's got a decent majority, but i hope we get rid as hes been worse than useless for standing up for his constituency and Scotland.

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Update on the numbers:

Labour - 54.1%

Lib Dems - 26.2%

SNP - 9.8%

Green - 4.9%

Conservatives - 3.3%

Independant - 1.6%

Jeremy, Jo and Nicola will be pleased. Boris less so

maxsmith 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

voted green in a constituency with a huge tory majority

Lusk 12 Dec 2019

> Update on the numbers:

> Labour - 54.1%

> Lib Dems - 26.2%

> SNP - 9.8%

> Green - 4.9%

> Conservatives - 3.3%

> Independant - 1.6%

> Jeremy, Jo and Nicola will be pleased. Boris less so

There'll be a parallel universe where that will be the result.
Someone please transport me there.

mullermn 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

It's the parallel universe where they got rid of Corbyn 6 months ago.

Hat Dude 12 Dec 2019

> ' I think a bottle of scotch and revolver should be enough.

I always like to listen to that classic Beatles album on election nights, takes me back to the halcyon days when Harold Wilson had a 98 seat majority

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Well, there's some pretty exciting stuff going on now on Twitter. Literally hundreds of people who have always voted Tory or Lib Dem saying they have voted tactically for Labour for the first time - to get rid of Bojo. Admittedly of the 4200 people I follow about 4000 are Remainers, so I might be getting a very distorted picture. Even so.... Also, there's being reported a very high turn out, particularly in London, with queues at polling stations, and particularly of young people.

stevieb 12 Dec 2019

> Update on the numbers:

> Labour - 54.1%

> Lib Dems - 26.2%

> SNP - 9.8%

> Green - 4.9%

> Conservatives - 3.3%

> Independant - 1.6%

> Jeremy, Jo and Nicola will be pleased. Boris less so

The figures aren’t looking quite so good on UK Fox Hunting though

In reply to Cú Chullain:

I held my nose and voted Labour.  Great respect for Jeremy Corbyn as an inspiration, but he's not a leader of men, still less the country.  But given the alternative . . .

T.

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted Green at 8am.

Safe Tory seat of Robert Jenrick in Newark and Sherwood. 4 candidates stood. Tactical voting felt pointless and after Jo Swinson's show on Monday night I had to vote but really it was Hobson's choice.

Very sad.

Enty 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Postal vote went in two weeks ago.

It's a Lab / Con marginal and I'm having to cancel my dad's vote out ( He's 81, had his prostate cancer cured on the NHS and voted to make his son, daughter in law and grandaughter's life in Europe much much harder)

E

pasbury 12 Dec 2019

> Sadly, many/most people in my constituency don't realise just what an extremist my MP, Pauline Latham, is. One reason why I dislike her so much is that she's fundamentally dishonest: she pretends to be a fluffy, middle-of-the-road, small-c conservative, when she's actually a member of the secretive ERG - which isn't mentioned anywhere on her very detailed website. (If you don't believe just how extreme the members of the ERG are, take a look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Research_Group.)

That page is eye opening. The list of subscribers to the group include many people I consider dangerous and reprehensible (and rather stupid). Though strangely David Gauke is listed - presumably he subscribed as a way to 'know the enemy'. A Boris majority will embolden this caucus when it comes to any trade negotiations and regulatory divergence from the EU over the next year(s), leaving a no deal rupture firmly on the table.

mullermn 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Following some further research it turns out my constituency is on the outer limits of ‘marginal’ with Labour against the Tory incumbent.

Subsequently I fought past the nausea and voted for Labour.

On the way home I went in to Tesco and noted a tactical voting poster next to the door. In the time it took me to pick up milk and pay at the self checkout someone had ripped it down and screwed it up. There’s a lot of strong opinions about. 

pasbury 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

> I always like to listen to that classic Beatles album on election nights, takes me back to the halcyon days when Harold Wilson had a 98 seat majority

I reckon 'The lunatics have taken over the asylum' could be more appropriate tonight.

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour. 

Welsh Kate 12 Dec 2019

No, North Cardiff is a key marginal; I'm in Cardiff South and Penarth which is as Labour as they come with the doughty remainer Stephen Doughty who defied the Labour whip on occasion on Brexit issues.

Andy Johnson 12 Dec 2019

> A lot quicker than if that idiot Corbyn and his mates were in charge.

You do know that its not going to work out like that, right?

MonkeyPuzzle 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

One of 40'000+ to vote Labour in Bristol West today. Flew in from Cork, polling station on the way back from the airport and now snacking on out of date food from the fridge.

Such a large majority ironically makes it feel like a wasted vote even though I voted for the guaranteed winner. At least she has the best name in the commons: Thangam Debbonaire!

MarkH55 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted Labour in a Lab/Con swing seat

climbingpixie 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour at about 8.30am in a fairly safe Tory seat. There are claims it might be a potential swing seat but the sitting MP got over 50% of the vote last time and I'm doubtful that anyone who voted for him in 2017 will have changed their minds, whereas the non-Tory vote is likely to be split. Hasn't stopped the absolute avalanche of Labour campaigning around here though - I must've had 7/8 Labour leaflets, one visit from the Labour doorknockers and I bumped into one of their very cheerful 'get out the vote' teams on my way out for lunch earlier. I have no idea if that's replicated across the whole constituency or if it's just down to the fact we live in the cheaper, younger and more urban part of the area but 10/10 for effort anyway!

AllanMac 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Would have voted LibDem, but opted for Labour instead. The reason:

Cons have a 23.5% majority.

Labour 23.5%

LibDems 7%

Doug 12 Dec 2019

Just noticed this on the Guardian's politics blog

"A reminder as per all election days to please not state how you voted today or how you voted via postal vote. Any comments stating how you voted will be removed for legal reasons."

If true, seems UKC & all of us who have posted here have broken the law. Will Allan be locked up ?

Neil Williams 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour in MK South.  It's always been Tory so far (only existed for a short time) but it is worth a go.

Post edited at 17:44
 Jon Stewart 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I voted for the notorious queer-basher Tim Farron. I had to forgive him for all those times he scrawled "god hates fags" in excrement on my front door, but it's still a lot better than getting a Tory.

wercat 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

did he bribe you with a slice of spicy roast baby?

RomTheBear 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

SNP

jkarran 12 Dec 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> Please don't make a mistake.

Well I went Green in the end, undecided until I got to the booth. Gotta keep some pressure up.

JK

haworthjim 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Family tick for Lab-add 3 to your exit poll. Fingers crossed we keep our MP but is going to be close.

Jon Stewart 12 Dec 2019
In reply to wercat:

> did he bribe you with a slice of spicy roast baby?

The tory candidate tried that. "It's my own grandson" he said, to entice me.

In reply to Doug:

I'm pretty sure that only applies to news media, not social media. My FB timeline would be awash with criminals otherwise!

In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm glad you're cutting him some slack, you can't hold people responsible for everything they write in excrement. I mean, we've all been there, right?

Dax H 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib dems a few days ago by post. 

I live in a safe labour seat and normally vote tory but I couldn't even think of voting for the current crop. Plus their candidate for South Leeds lives in Hastings. No wonder Labour have won forever round here.

I also voted leave and I genuinely believe it would be good for the country if our so called leaders had the ability to lead rather than piss away the last few years infighting. On balance I would now rather stay and stop being the laughing stock of the developed world. 

colinakmc 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Another loan of 2 votes to Nicola, to keep the Tory out here. We’ll take them back at the next Scottish election, though. 

I think.

In reply to Cú Chullain:

SNP.

There was a queue to vote, first time I've seen that for a long time.

Jon Stewart 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Dax H:

> I couldn't even think of voting for the current crop

Nice one. They need to be told that what's happened to the Tory party will not stand with the decent, moderate people that they rely on.

skog 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Doug:

You're allowed to tell people how you, yourself, voted, as long as you aren't doing so from inside the polling station.

You aren't allowed to tell how other people voted (although sharing their own online post is allowed).

So most of us are OK - but those saying, for example, how their family members voted, are technically breaking the law. I don't expect to see many prosecutions, though..!

UKC isn't breaking the law letting us post this, but it probably would be if it collated it into an article and published it before 22:00 this evening.

Wilberforce 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour (Cambridge) for three reasons. 1) Our sitting MP Daniel Zeichner is a decent bloke. 2) I like the direction of travel of the Labour manifesto even if some of it is whacky. And 3) Labour have promised to halt our arms sales to the Saudis who are committing war crimes in Yemen. 

In reply to Jon Stewart:

That's the first laugh I've had today.

I suspect it may be my last as well.

Andy Johnson 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Doug:

The relevant law seems to be the Representation of the People Act 1982, Part 1, Section 66a

Publishing (posting) your own voting intention or decision is legal. Publishing an exit poll is illegal. Aggregating posts in a way that effectively creates a predictive exit poll is arguably illegal but doesn't appear to have been adequately anticipated by the law.

As a national publication with many thouysands of commenters, I guess the Guardian are simply playing safe. I'm not  lawyer but it seems like a stretch to interpret this thread as an election-influencing exit poll.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/06/08/illegal-post-election-vot...

(Sorry for the torygraph link - the simplest summary I could find with limited time)

Rob, I suspect you might be being a bit too gloomy, and that it might not be quite a bad as we'd feared ...

Sealwife 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

SNP - could be interesting in this seat because it’s been safe Lib Dem for many, many years but SNP candidate is well liked locally.

The odds on a hung parliament have shortened online and there's some interesting stuff going around on Twitter. Queues at polling stations and apparently one uni ran out of ballot papers and had to get a load more in. Been keeping my eye on #YouthQuake and feeling a bit emotional!

marsbar 12 Dec 2019

I think its unlikely to be done and dusted anytime soon.  

Gear Lover 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted Lib Dem at 7.20 this morning.

Safe labour seat, would have voted labour if tories had any chance here!

Dave Garnett 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> Labour for me. Our local MP is Karen Bradley who became Minister for Northern Ireland and didn’t know where it was. She also didn’t challenge major potential redundancies in the NHS locally.

Me too.  I couldn't have voted for her even if there weren't any other reasons for not voting Conservative.  Which there are.

the sheep 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted Lib Dem in a Tory seat

Dave the Rave 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Labour first thing this morning. My main stumbling block was the strength of Christian name. Boris sounds a strong leader but Jeremy a push over. 

Putin: ve vant your islands

Jeremy: ok.

Same question to Boris

Boris: ????

paulcarey 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Voted Labour at around 11am . Canterbury which has a Labour mp since 2017 with a majority of 187.

a friend of mine sent a photo of students queuing in the rain on campus in Canterbury so hopefully she will keep her seat. 

Not a huge fan of Corbyn, but....

bouldery bits 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I did a vote. 

Not telling you who for though. 

Dewi Williams 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I voted Labour despite my major misgivings over Corbyn. The current MP is the arch brexiteer Philip Davies who had a 5,000 majority. This could be overturned, keep an eye out for this one, there has been a big campaign to unseat him. 

DaveHK 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Green. For the bairns like.

In reply to Cú Chullain:

It's a landslide. 

wercat 12 Dec 2019

we are fooked

break out the ammo

we can only hope to take some with us

Post edited at 22:02
In reply to wercat:

> we are fooked

> break out the ammo

More importantly Corbyns fooked!!

wercat 12 Dec 2019

I think the campaigning has been as the 1940 situation we had with the referendum.  All but the Cummings faction fighting with tactics of the last war

Metaphorically our troops should have adopted commando methods in terms of disruption and ruthlessness

The clown/greased piglet was the most visible but not the weapon

Post edited at 22:06
 Jon Stewart 12 Dec 2019

> More importantly Corbyns fooked!!

To try to be positive, you're right. And maybe in the medium/long term the opposition can get themselves together...?

In reply to Jon Stewart:

A hung parliament would have meant that Corbyn would have stayed and the same situation would arise at the next election. At least now he has to go and Labour can appoint an electable leader, will they learn the lesson? 

Mark Edwards 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I’ve voted Green in a Labour safe seat. Not for one moment thinking it will make any significant difference (well, perhaps it will help them save their deposit) or that I agree with their policies, but because as I see it, it’s the least worst option.

F.F.S. Is this really democracy? Voting for not who you want, but for what you see as the least worst (or maybe just a cop out) option.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> To try to be positive

... I’m trying... without much success though...

Jon Stewart 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

All the best music is sad. I'm going to listen to spectacularly good music all day tomorrow. I really am clutching at straws here!

jkarran 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Dewi Williams:

> A hung parliament would have meant that Corbyn would have stayed and the same situation would arise at the next election. At least now he has to go and Labour can appoint an electable leader, will they learn the lesson? 

It doesn't matter now, there will be no UK and little we recognise left in 5 years.

Jk

Jon Stewart 12 Dec 2019

> will they learn the lesson? 

Trouble is, the membership of the political parties is clearly off-the-chart moronic. Hence Johnson vs. Corbyn. 

I think we need a new system!

In reply to jkarran:

> It doesn't matter now, there will be no UK and little we recognise left in 5 years.

> Jk

Nothing lasts forever. Maybe now is the time for Scotland to go it alone and to make it's own way not that I would agree with that but if it does so be it.

The one thing that is certain in life is change is inevitable and that very much includes the political landscape. 

stevieb 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

> ... I’m trying... without much success though...

Well, brexit is now totally and utterly owned by the Tories. Much harder to blame anyone else now if it isn’t everything that was promised. 

The Irish will also soon realise that they will be shafted under this so called brexit deal, this will also change the political landscape in Northern Ireland, it may not just be the Scots saying see you later. 

earlsdonwhu 12 Dec 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Sorry, you are wrong....there is still plenty of mileage in blaming the EU!! If the next deadline is not met , it's not Remoaners but Barnier etc's fault . Tories can still pass the buck.

LastBoyScout 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I voted.

I honestly don't think it would have made any difference who for, as we've had the same veteran Euro-sceptic, pro-brexit Tory MP (in a borderline pro-remain constituency) for the last 32 years! He had a 56% majority in 2017.

It would take something spectacular to shift him.

Robert Durran 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I really am clutching at straws here!

One small straw to clutch at I heard on Radio 4 is that, with a big enough majority not to held hostage by the ERG and other extremist right wing f*ckwits, Johnson might veer towards a softer Brexit and something resembling one nation Conservatism (which, if he has any remaining principles, might be where they lie)

Jon Stewart 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

> One small straw to clutch at I heard on Radio 4 is that, with a big enough majority not to held hostage by the ERG and other extremist right wing f*ckwits, Johnson might veer towards a softer Brexit and something resembling one nation Conservatism (which, if he has any remaining principles, might be where they lie)

I think there are some liberal elements to his politics. But quite honestly I'm not sure he really has any politics...Brexit was just a game. Whoever gets to him will get what they want...I don't have any idea who that's going to be.

^^New low-effort posting style, since the result has kind of wiped out any motivation to try at anything.

Post edited at 23:27
 MargieB 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Lib Dem, Highlands, Scotland

In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

Blyth Valley has gone Blue. 10% swing and a very significant loss for Labour. The Brexit party took over 3000 votes which did for the Labour party. 

gavmac 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Here’s to Scottish independence. 

In reply to Robert Durran:

Any remaining principles - he never had any to start with! He stands for nothing apart from what is best for Boris, even his partner has said it. 

andyb211 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Doug:

Does Allan like handcuffs? 

Pan Ron 12 Dec 2019

> A hung parliament would have meant that Corbyn would have stayed and the same situation would arise at the next election. At least now he has to go and Labour can appoint an electable leader, will they learn the lesson? 

I'm not entirely sure Corbyn is the problem. I quite like him and he's clearly principled (I'm happy he'll talk to anyone, that's exactly what I want in a leader, so not terribly concerned about the Hamas/IRA issue).

The problem looks more that he has no apparent limit on how far leftward he is willing to go. He'd clearly go much further if he could, so represents something distasteful or dangerous to the majority. With Momentum and the unions behind him, and the UK left having shifted, the entire party has imploded. It's not really Corbyn himself.

If your party views "the centre" as being right-wing, and therefore not to be accommodated, then you are going to be handed your arse over and over. What remains to be seen is if the left, yet again, doubles down. Or if they finally open their fvcking eyes and ears to what people have been telling them. I'm not confident in that.

Andy Johnson 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> Or if they finally open their fvcking eyes and ears to what people have been telling them.

What have people been telling them?

jkarran 12 Dec 2019

No more excuses, nowhere to hide. You and your fellow travelers own this now. 

Jk

Pan Ron 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> What have people been telling them?

I'm surprised you need to ask the question, and I'm pretty sure (given my experience on here) what your response to the answer will be, so I'm not going to bother yet again.

But here's a plan for any Labour voter. Go find yourself some opposition voters and actually listen to what their issues are. Dispense with the caricatures, forget your sense of holding some innate moral high ground, and give some credit to the validity of their views without jumping to the racist, bigot alt-right accusations.

You might then start to get an idea for why the current left mindset fails to get a ball in the net when the goal is wide open.

Dewi Williams 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

Corbyn would talk to anyone you say, he never spoke to the Israeli govt despite his supposed policy of talking to people you may disagree with.

You are right about the party imploding but Corbyn was the catalist that allowed this to happen, he has a lot to answer for. 

Post edited at 00:13
 Pefa 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

You say momentum are far left yet the policies are no different to Scandinavian countries and tax policies of France and Germany so are they all far left?

No. 

Britain is so far to the right that ordinary social democrat policies are viewed as Marxist - Leninist for one reason only. 

Britain is owned by billionaires and a deeply entrenched establishment who tell the people what to think and the people believe them. We have always been a nation of servants to the upper classes and nothing has changed.

The majority of us it would seem have been played by them again. 

Wainers44 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

Things must be really really bad as I feel OK about the prospect of a clear Tory majority. Never ever thought I would feel like that. No I didn't vote Tory, nor will ever do so. 

As per post the other day, BJ will f this up and will not see his term out, but we might finally see this Brexit debacle move on. Although "end of the beginning...." is probably the reality.

Polls being accurate Corbyn did exactly what I always said he would. And that's be so totally inept as a LEADER that no one would trust him for anything. 

"Neutral about Brexit..." I hope that b*locks attitude to the most crucial issue facing the country in the short term haunts him to the grave. 

Pan Ron 13 Dec 2019

> Corbyn would talk to anyone you say, he never spoke to the Israeli govt despite his supposed policy of talking to people you may disagree with.

Yeah, that's true. He is dogmatic. But I wouldn't  put him beyond opening up a bit, even after all these years.  But surrounded by the people he is, backed by uncompromising leftists, and with the state of the mainstream, he's a fair representation of the alternative to the Tories.  Just blaming him misses the root cause.

Pan Ron 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

> Things must be really really bad as I feel OK about the prospect of a clear Tory majority. Never ever thought I would feel like that. No I didn't vote Tory, nor will ever do so. 

Likewise. It'll be crap. But the Left have become so utterly repellant the possible silver linings, and hopefully a bit of introspection, might get us somewhere.

I wouldn't put it beyond Boris to moderate a do some good either. That's unlikely to appear a possibility to Labour supporters blinded by the one-sided bile of their own media.

Labour may even still come through, despite the exit-polls. The scary few hours should then also hopefully prompt some examination.

Pan Ron 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Momentum and Labour are nothing like Scandinavian Social Democrats. The mindset of Per Albin-Hansson and the Folkshemmet has no place in the UK's Left and the ability to embrace all players in the social structure is actively opposed by the Left in this country.

Its "you're with us or against us" and a million miles from anything approaching the best of SD. The very fact you are still wedded to Marxist-Leninist ideas, that you think you are not far enough leftward, and are tainted by being insufficiently doctrinaire, is exactly your problem. 

> The majority of us it would seem have been played by them again. 

Your fundamental inability to comprehend democracy and its benefits is shining through.

Post edited at 00:31
 Wainers44 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

Mr Ron I rarely agree with you (sorry!) but I hope you are right about BJ and also a wind of change for the good blowing through labour. The most unlikely Silver Lining for me tonight is still that Mr R Moggy is also looking for another job by tomorrow but that is unlikely to say the least! 😀 

Lusk 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Wow! At 10'o'clock I haven't felt such an empty, hollowed out feeling for since I don't know when. 

I suspect the great British public will just shrug and grumble and tug their forelocks at another five years of shit our superiors dump our way.

I've now progressed into the bollocks to it all phase.  Politics - I'm out!

Clauso 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

I've gradually resigning myself to 5 more years of Tory shite and fervently hoping, by way of consolation, that Priti Patel loses her seat and those veins in Dominic Cummings's forehead burst. 

Pefa 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

Uh? The policies are no different and are you saying Labour would not have made deals with the lib dems or SNP or the rest? That is absurd.

Why are you using a stupid George Bush quote when referring to Labour? You are flanneling and my politics have nothing to do with Labour whatsoever.

But its every socialists duty to vote for the party that best represents the interests of the working class. 

Post edited at 00:43
 Wainers44 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Clauso:

> I've gradually resigning myself to 5 more years of Tory shite and fervently hoping, by way of consolation, that Priti Patel loses her seat and those veins in Dominic Cummings's forehead burst. 

Oh please, yes...... 

Wainers44 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> But its every socialists duty to vote for the party that best represents the interests of the working class. 

And its every socialist parties duty to be lead well enough to stop the right from doing whatever the heck it likes. 

The New NickB 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Either the UKC exit poll or the official exit poll got it wrong, hard to tell which so far

Grim night!

Post edited at 01:05
Pan Ron 13 Dec 2019

Ha! Yes. Quite a marked difference between the UKC view and the population view it seems. Perhaps a shed load of closet Tories on here?

Pefa 13 Dec 2019

At least UKC is not full of brainwashed gimps that would vote for an upper class toilet brush. 

Pefa 13 Dec 2019
In reply to gavmac:

> Here’s to Scottish independence. 

With a heavy heart, Yeah Scots ... Scexit let's get it done!

And get back in the EU. 

Post edited at 01:08
Lusk 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

You're on dodgy ground here now, you'll be condemning the rUK to Cons rule perpetuity.

As much as I appreciate the Scots ability/opportunity they may have to break free, I'll be struggling to ever forgive them for the above.

pec 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> But here's a plan for any Labour voter. Go find yourself some opposition voters and actually listen to what their issues are. Dispense with the caricatures, forget your sense of holding some innate moral high ground, and give some credit to the validity of their views without jumping to the racist, bigot alt-right accusations.

> You might then start to get an idea for why the current left mindset fails to get a ball in the net when the goal is wide open.

You are absolutely right about this. As one of those opposition voters I've often told people on here why their message isn't cutting it beyond their own echo chamber but all I meet is a wall of abuse from people so certain they actually do own the moral high ground that they presume they have a divine right to it.

It has sometimes felt like I'm the goal keeper and I walk out of the penalty area saying look there's my open goal but they'd rather kick the ball at me than into the back of the net.

In the best long term interest of the country I hope this election gives them a sufficiently bruising kicking that it finally pricks that bubble of arrogance.

Pefa 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> You're on dodgy ground here now, you'll be condemning the rUK to Cons rule perpetuity.

> As much as I appreciate the Scots ability/opportunity they may have to break free, I'll be struggling to ever forgive them for the above.

You are right I just over reacted out of frustration at this potentially ridiculous result, forgive me as I want to stay united with the Labour voters of England and Wales because the workers are stronger together. 

Lusk 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

Arrogance?!?!?

I've been meaning to ask this question for ages, in the light of all the evidence and data that's out there, you know where it is, that for millions of people, poverty has hugely increased in this country, don't you care, or do you just choose to ignore it?

A favourite stat I've seen regularly quoted is, record unemployment at 3 or 4%.
Now, what do you consider a worthwhile job is?  For example: Cycling around in the pissing rain and dark with a stupid kangeroo box on your back, with zero job security on shit money, delivering shit to lazy, fat type 2 diabetics whose only idea of exercise is operating their phone?
They're not jobs, they're just an insulting exploitation of people.

Now I haven't got got the audacity to be arrogant, but I think I've got a right to point to the finger of shame at the likes of you, your ilk and the party you support.

RIP 'Great' Britain.

Pefa 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

What arrogance? The British people have been conned again by you and your party so let's look at where any arrogance in this campaign really stems from. 

Roadrunner6 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

I don't think that's fair. This was a Brexit election and Corbyn decided to say he was neutral and wanted to make it about other things and has been trashed.

This is about Labours Failings, we all know Bojo is what he is. 

Can w finally just get rid of Corbyn and move back to having some normal party.

girlymonkey 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

But would you not vote for independence if you were up here? Surely this vote shows how out of step with each other us and rUK are? 

Dell 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

A while back Corbyns position was a firm NO to a second referendum. 

I wonder what the results would be had he stuck to his guns and not given in to the die hard Labour party remainers? 

Removed User 13 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> But would you not vote for independence if you were up here? Surely this vote shows how out of step with each other us and rUK are? 

Socialism is about solidarity and internationalism. 

Don't be so sure that opinion in Scotland has shifted to any significant degree on independence from 2014. Also bear in mind that the Tories won't countenance another independence referendum so it's off the table until at least 2025 no matter how much Wee Jimmy Krankie jumps up and down. With a healthy majority the Tories can do what they like. You're too young to remember Thatcher but I think we're in for much of the same, a deeply unpopular government (at least with some)  that does what it says it was going to do.

Lusk 13 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> But would you not vote for independence if you were up here? Surely this vote shows how out of step with each other us and rUK are? 

This is the quandary.  Now, if I lived in Scotland, I'd vote leave, because of the horror story we've now got. I'd never vote SNP though because they're rubbish (to put it politely).  But I couldn't vote leave because it condemns rUK to eternal Toryism. This confuses my tiny brain!

summo 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Can w finally just get rid of Corbyn and move back to having some normal party.

If there was any calibre in the other parties the Tories wouldn't have won the last two elections. Yesterday Labour missed an open goal from 1m away.

Labour and the lib dems need to sort themselves quick to provide some decent opposition with a credible leader and policies. 

profitofdoom 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Mark Edwards:

> F.F.S. Is this really democracy? Voting for not who you want, but for what you see as the least worst (or maybe just a cop out) option.

Democracy is having a vote, not who you choose to vote for/ your rationale for voting 

Robert Durran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Removed User:

In reply to Removed UserEric9points

> Don't be so sure that opinion in Scotland has shifted to any significant degree on independence from 2014. Also bear in mind that the Tories won't countenance another independence referendum so it's off the table until at least 2025.

Maybe, but in the meantime Nationalist, pro EU resentment will only grow; this election result may delay a referendum but will make, I believe, independence all but inevitable in the longer term.

Post edited at 06:42
 girlymonkey 13 Dec 2019

And the Tories not countenancing it will only strengthen the independence case. They aren't exactly popular up here!!

And I'm not too young to remember Thatcher, I was born towards the beginning of her reign. I remember how poor my parents were under her. She is definitely not forgotten up here!

girlymonkey 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Plenty are willing to vote SNP to get independence and then change their allegiances. 

The ramifications on NI when we go independent do concern me a bit, but England has made it's own bed and can lie in it. Our vote makes sod all difference there.

In reply to summo:

Jo Swinson has rightly resigned, and it would be a total disgrace if Jeremy Corbyn hasn't done so by lunchtime today. The most disastrous political leader I've seen in my (70 year) lifetime.

climbingpixie 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Dell:

> I wonder what the results would be had he stuck to his guns and not given in to the die hard Labour party remainers? 

I reckon they'd have been eviscerated on both sides, rather than just on the leave side, in the same way that they were during the EU elections. Caroline Flint doesn't seem to have done too well out of backing the Withdrawal Agreement, losing by an bigger swing than the national average. Their electorate is 2/3 remain and their policy was the only way to try to bring those two sides together, unlike the Tories who were happy to abandon their remain voters and go full Brexit. Under a different leader, not burdened with so much historical baggage, it might have worked. But a leader with catastrophic personal approval ratings, an over-ambitious manifesto promising too much radical change too quickly and a live divisive issue on which the party has pleased neither side... well, we can see what the result is...

FWIW I still like lots of elements of Labour policies and I hope they don't overreact by swinging too far back to the centre, though obviously they do need to shift their position. The problem was that the manifesto was overambitious and unfocussed and they needed to scale it back. You don't need to renationalise/restructure everything and you need to be realistic and honest about tax, and that everyone needs to pay more if they want better services. They have an uphill battle next time around after a result like this and the forthcoming boundary changes. I think the only hope for real change in the future is a progressive alliance with the aim of electoral reform and ending FPTP.

Post edited at 07:12
 summo 13 Dec 2019

> Jo Swinson has rightly resigned, and it would be a total disgrace if Jeremy Corbyn hasn't done so by lunchtime today. The most disastrous political leader I've seen in my (70 year) lifetime.

Agree.

What is worse is that because of Corbyn's (and his cronies) incompetence many competent Labour mps have probably lost their seats and been replaced by mediocre Tories. Corbyns legacy will continue for some time. 

rogerwebb 13 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Plenty are willing to vote SNP to get independence and then change their allegiances. 

Plenty of people were willing, and did, vote SNP in this election to try and stop brexit. That does not mean that they will vote for independence as well. The SNP won 46% of the vote. I would imagine that Nicola Sturgeon rather hopes that her request for a referendum is refused. She needs to build that percentage up. In the circumstances of yesterday's election I doubt there were many closet independence supporters voting anything other than SNP or Green. 

Indyref2 2021 or 2022. I wouldn't bet on the outcome either way. 

> The ramifications on NI when we go independent do concern me a bit, but England has made it's own bed and can lie in it. Our vote makes sod all difference there.

If

alan moore 13 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I remember how poor my parents were under her. She is definitely not forgotten up here!

Please remember that 90% of us living outside Scotland suffered equally under Thatcher. We blamed her though, rather than blaming the English.

Your notion that England made its own bed and can lie in it ignores the fact that Tory power has been (in part) handed to them by Scotland turning its back on the poor of Britain in an attempt to just look out for itself.

mullermn 13 Dec 2019
In reply to summo:

> Corbyns legacy will continue for some time. 

Apparently so - from the BBC article:

"Given the result, you might assume Jeremy Corbyn would swiftly fall on his sword - but he has instead called for a period of quiet reflection. Party rules make it difficult to oust him, but already senior figures are asking how long this period will last. 

Senior figures at Westminster and in local government feel delaying an inevitable leadership contest will lead to a similar result in May's council elections. Mr Corbyn seems intent on staying in place until someone from his wing of the party is ready to take over"

Just to ensure continuity of unelectability.

In reply to Pefa:

> You say momentum are far left yet the policies are no different to Scandinavian countries and tax policies of France and Germany so are they all far left?

> No. 

> Britain is so far to the right that ordinary social democrat policies are viewed as Marxist - Leninist for one reason only. 

> Britain is owned by billionaires and a deeply entrenched establishment who tell the people what to think and the people believe them. We have always been a nation of servants to the upper classes and nothing has changed.

> The majority of us it would seem have been played by them again. 

... pretty much spot on...

... but, trying to look on the bright side; it is Friday 13th... maybe we’re in for a repeat of the  shenanigans of BC44...

girlymonkey 13 Dec 2019
In reply to rogerwebb:

And some Indy supporters voted to leave EU too. 

Maybe it's the echo chamber effect, but it feels like Indy momentum is building. I was a no voter in 2014, but not now. There are a growing number of us who have shifted.

girlymonkey 13 Dec 2019
In reply to alan moore:

How do you think Scotland has turned its back on the poor? We have for a long time voted for left of center parties. We just have sod all influence!

mullermn 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

>The British people have been conned again 

This is the really key thing Labour need to take away from this. Every one of the 21,605,280 people who voted yesterday and didn't vote for Labour, or the ~14,542,000 people who didn't bother to vote at all has been brainwashed. Definitely. There's definitely nothing wrong with Labour or their leader, and what they probably need to do is just shout harder in everyone's faces about how anyone who doesn't worship Papa Smurf is morally bankrupt.

That will fix this.

rogerwebb 13 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> And some Indy supporters voted to leave EU too. 

> Maybe it's the echo chamber effect, but it feels like Indy momentum is building. I was a no voter in 2014, but not now. There are a growing number of us who have shifted.

I agree, I think momentum, at least for a referendum, is building. I don't think that will necessarily translate into an independence vote. At this point proponents can use phrases such as 'remain in the EU' which sounds easy but is wrong in fact. To an extent they are, like the brexiteers, guilty of greatly understating the impact and difficulty of their path and underestimating the time scale. As those issues become more widely understood the momentum will likely stall. Some will shift back some will not. 

neilh 13 Dec 2019
In reply to mullermn:

This is in a way a typical answer from people not willing to recognise hard reality.

If you will not learn then you will get the same answer next time.

Calling people brainwashed etc is just plain stupid.

krikoman 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I suppose we can at least look forward to

40 new hospitals,

50,000 new coppers, and

50,000 new nurses, so it might not be all that bad. I'm holding my breath.

neilh 13 Dec 2019
In reply to krikoman:

I will be interested to hear of Offwidth's views on the results.

Pretty scathing for Labour.

In reply to mullermn:

He is so incompetent he can't even resign properly! 

summo 13 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> How do you think Scotland has turned its back on the poor? We have for a long time voted for left of center parties. We just have sod all influence!

It has more to spend per capita than England, has flex over it's taxation rates. Has freedom to manage and or it's own independent police, education, judiciary, local services and health system... exactly which bits can't the snp control that you are blaming everything on?

mullermn 13 Dec 2019
In reply to rogerwebb:

> I agree, I think momentum, at least for a referendum, is building.

Did you say momentum? We've got one you can have.

You just need to give them a few minutes to edit their slogan though, since their agenda has been categorically shown to be 'For the few not the many'.

RomTheBear 13 Dec 2019
In reply to summo:

> It has more to spend per capita than England, has flex over it's taxation rates. Has freedom to manage and or it's own independent police, education, judiciary, local services and health system... exactly which bits can't the snp control that you are blaming everything on ?

It has flex mostly on income tax, which isn’t useful on its own. It doesn’t have control over immigration which is absolutely crucial to growth. It doesn’t have control over things like EU membership which are also crucial.

summo 13 Dec 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

>  It doesn’t have control over immigration which is absolutely crucial to growth. 

Logically, every country in the world can't have a net in flow of people to maintain growth, so they are destined to fail? In these times of climate change, finite resources etc perhaps economies shouldn't be relying on endless growth to survive? 

If the snp are so amazing at running Scotland, they should have no problem attracting a few of the 50+ million living in England, wales and NI. 

jkarran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> Britain is owned by billionaires and a deeply entrenched establishment who tell the people what to think and the people believe them. We have always been a nation of servants to the upper classes and nothing has changed.

> The majority of us it would seem have been played by them again. 

A minority, fractionally bigger than I feared but a significant minority none the less given the drama about to unfold in its name. Yes, we've been comprehensively outplayed.

Those clinging to the hope a big majority means Johnson has the power to outmanoeuvre the ERG miss two things: who he owes for funding this brexit election and the fact none of the new intake will be moderating voices on Europe, many will be inclined toward the ERG position.

jk

John2 13 Dec 2019
In reply to neilh:

I think you're missing a hefty slice of sarcasm.

pec 13 Dec 2019
In reply to mullermn:

> Senior figures at Westminster and in local government feel delaying an inevitable leadership contest will lead to a similar result in May's council elections. Mr Corbyn seems intent on staying in place until someone from his wing of the party is ready to take over"

> Just to ensure continuity of unelectability.

Ideological purity is far more important to the far left than actually winning, they are a bunch of serial protesters.

pec 13 Dec 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> I suppose we can at least look forward to

> 40 new hospitals,

> 50,000 new coppers, and

> 50,000 new nurses, so it might not be all that bad. I'm holding my breath.

Actually what seems to have escaped many people is that if you take Brexit out if it, most of the Tory manifesto could have been a New Labour manifesto. All the talk of the far right is complete nonsense.

LastBoyScout 13 Dec 2019
In reply to mullermn:

> On the way home I went in to Tesco and noted a tactical voting poster next to the door. In the time it took me to pick up milk and pay at the self checkout someone had ripped it down and screwed it up. There’s a lot of strong opinions about. 

One of our friends down the road has a Lib Dem signpost in their front garden. The other day, I noticed it had been pulled out, turned round and stuck back in!

jkarran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to climbingpixie:

> FWIW I still like lots of elements of Labour policies and I hope they don't overreact by swinging too far back to the centre, though obviously they do need to shift their position. The problem was that the manifesto was overambitious and unfocussed and they needed to scale it back. You don't need to renationalise/restructure everything and you need to be realistic and honest about tax, and that everyone needs to pay more if they want better services. They have an uphill battle next time around after a result like this and the forthcoming boundary changes. I think the only hope for real change in the future is a progressive alliance with the aim of electoral reform and ending FPTP.

Stand on that and I'd vote for you.

jk

mullermn 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

> Actually what seems to have escaped many people is that if you take Brexit out if it, most of the Tory manifesto could have been a New Labour manifesto.

The level of awareness of environmental issues is from 1997, I’ll give you that. 

Tim Davies 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

Serial losers seemingly 

Pan Ron 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

> Actually what seems to have escaped many people is that if you take Brexit out if it, most of the Tory manifesto could have been a New Labour manifesto. All the talk of the far right is complete nonsense.

Wish I could find it now, but there was a David Goodhardt piece a few weeks back making this point.  Tories have reached out and appealed to working class voters with grass-roots policies.  The other side meanwhile registers disgust at them for voting, or holding the personal views, that they aren't supposed to.

Spearos 13 Dec 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

>  Remoaners 

Brilliant!

stevieb 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

> Actually what seems to have escaped many people is that if you take Brexit out if it, most of the Tory manifesto could have been a New Labour manifesto. All the talk of the far right is complete nonsense.

The proof of the pudding...

I hope you get what you wanted from Brexit and the Boris govt. 

Ian W 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

Agree there - brexit ref 2 took place yesterday; analysis on the tellybox this morning showed how much the tories gained in "leave" constituencies compared to "remain". Otherwise their manifesto pretty much comprises elements of any lab or con manifesto you care to name from the past 15 years.

wercat 13 Dec 2019
In reply to jkarran:

I hope he can stamp on  Priti Patel if she excels herself in exuding more nastiness and natsy policies

I'm glad Tim Farron held as he is a hard working and very conscientious constituency MP

Post edited at 10:16
 HansStuttgart 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

Yes. The Tories moved towards the center while Labour moved further left. The Tories won.

Even their Brexit policy is reasonably close to center. There are probably more people fed up with the postponement of the decision than people that want a 2nd ref.

wercat 13 Dec 2019
In reply to HansStuttgart:

>There are probably more people fed up with the postponement of the decision than people that want a 2nd ref.

Well the analyses seem to show not that but that the Brexit phalanx coalesced while Remain voters had no one to trust and split.   Corbyn was hollow empty during the referendum and so weakened the Remain cause

Post edited at 10:19
Monkeysee 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

At least we might get democracy back in the UK 🖒

Monkeysee 13 Dec 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Restore democracy is what I'm hoping for !

Monkeysee 13 Dec 2019
In reply to summo:

Sending all the money to Europe 😉

krikoman 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

I was taking the piss, I'm betting we'll see very little of any of that list, in the same way we got ZERO of the 20,000 starter homes we were promised 4 years ago.

krikoman 13 Dec 2019
In reply to mullermn:

> Apparently so - from the BBC article:

> "Given the result, you might assume Jeremy Corbyn would swiftly fall on his sword - but he has instead called for a period of quiet reflection. Party rules make it difficult to oust him, but already senior figures are asking how long this period will last. 

> Senior figures at Westminster and in local government feel delaying an inevitable leadership contest will lead to a similar result in May's council elections. Mr Corbyn seems intent on staying in place until someone from his wing of the party is ready to take over"

> Just to ensure continuity of unelectability.

How does anyone know how long Corbyn, is going to hang about? This is the same bullshit, that is partly the reason Labour lost the election?

What a f*cking shit state we've got our country in where the media are controlling who's the leader of our country and our political parties.

What's even worse than that is the people believing any shit f*ck made up story or speculation.

> ed to any significant degree on independence from 2014. Also bear in mind that the Tories won't countenance another independence referendum so it's off the table until at least 2025

F*ck the English Tories.  The SNP have an overwhelming mandate for indyref2 and Scotland is not going to take no for an answer.    The unionist parties fought this election on 'no to indyref2'  they got their arses handed to them and their branch party managers should do the right thing and accept it.

MG 13 Dec 2019
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I'll likely be living in Scotland again soon. I've recently been wondering whether independence could make sense.  Attitudes and posts like yours, remind me exactly why it doesn't...

jkarran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to wercat:

> Well the analyses seem to show not that but that the Brexit phalanx coalesced while Remain voters had no one to trust and split.   Corbyn was hollow empty during the referendum and so weakened the Remain cause

There's no getting away from Labour's shortcoming in this or the success of carefully targeted Conservative/BP campaigning but the story isn't simple. For example had we stood together with common voice '2nd referendum' (Red/Orange) could *just* have taken York Outer but instead with no clear single candidate and mixed messages the vote split cleanly and the incumbent donkey came straight through the middle. All over the country as the dust settles sad stories like this will be commonplace. Johnson won his landslide not with a groundswell of popular support but by making good tactical choices while the rest of us tore strips off each other distracted.

jk

wercat 13 Dec 2019
In reply to jkarran:

you might say that the genius behind the tory project since the autumn has been to trick everyone into the election parlour instead of sticking to the 2nd referendum and not letting him out of the sticky minority seats

Thus ensuring we leave without ever revealing the truth about Remainers actually outnumbering leavers.

A tragedy arising from deceit and comparable to Trump claiming that the American people spoke for him, ignoring the fact that Clinton had more votes from citizens

Cummings?

Post edited at 10:42
In reply to MG:

> I'll likely be living in Scotland again soon. I've recently been wondering whether independence could make sense.  Attitudes and posts like yours, remind me exactly why it doesn't...

48 out of 59 seats is a very clear mandate for indyref2.  There was already a mandate from the Holyrood election and the vote in the Scottish Parliament.   Now it is unquestionable.   If the English government ignores it then it can expect to be taken to court.

Post edited at 10:47
 MG 13 Dec 2019

Possibly.  But the divisive, shouty, Brexit-esque attitudes you and other SNP zealots display mean I  and I imagine many others would vote no.  Populist nationalism is really unpleasant whatever the nation.

summo 13 Dec 2019

> 48 out of 59 seats is a very clear mandate for indyref2. 

No it's a sign they didn't want Labour or the tory party to represent them in London. 

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Well there was a Tory landslide in my constituency, even by Derbyshire Dales standards! Of the 11 Derby and Derbyshire constituencies, 9 are now Conservative. Really surprised that High Peak turned blue

rogerwebb 13 Dec 2019

>   If the English government ignores it then it can expect to be taken to court.

English government? 

Pefa 13 Dec 2019
In reply to mullermn:

> >The British people have been conned again 

> This is the really key thing Labour need to take away from this. Every one of the 21,605,280 people who voted yesterday and didn't vote for Labour, or the ~14,542,000 people who didn't bother to vote at all has been brainwashed. Definitely. There's definitely nothing wrong with Labour or their leader, and what they probably need to do is just shout harder in everyone's faces about how anyone who doesn't worship Papa Smurf is morally bankrupt.

> That will fix this.

This is why we are fckd. 

People believing right wing establishment lies about moderate policies and a moderate candidate who is a threat to their endless milking of British people and looking on a surface level of how someone looks rather than what they do.

We missed a fantastic opportunity to embrace a wonderful leader that would provide us with a second referendum, a climate change revolution, properly fund our public services and take 14 million British people out of poverty but we blew it on a far right fantasy land of more division, hate and suffering. 

Yet some point the finger at the very person who provided that fantastic opportunity rather than to those who duped that 20 or 15 or whatever it was millions of British people. 

Corbyn was the greatest prospective PM since the 1960s and I salute him. 

Post edited at 11:14
 skog 13 Dec 2019

Let the dust settle.

It seems to me there's a very clear mandate in Scotland for another independence referendum, but the Tories also have a clear mandate for not allowing one - they just won a majority after saying they'd block it. Democracy is messy and frequently self-contradictory.

And, whatever is right, they have a significant majority, and may simply be able to ignore what anyone else wants.

Wiser people than us are looking at this (on both sides), let's see what happens over the next wee while; getting frustrated and angry isn't going to help anyone just now.

summo 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> Corbyn was the greatest prospective PM since the 1960s and I salute him. 

Bullocks.

John Smith is likely top.

I'd put Corbyn at the bottom. A lifetime in politics, 70years old and absolutely nothing positive achieved, only destroyed. His leadership has likely ended the career of many good Labour MPs. 

neilh 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Class.

Keep them coming.

Blame everybody else!

I do enjoy your posts, they bring a smile.

Gone for good 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> Corbyn was the greatest prospective PM since the 1960s and I salute him. 

Hahahahahahahahah! Are you doing pantomime this season as well as comedy?

> If the English government ignores it then it can expect to be taken to court.

Who's going to take the British government to court for declining a second indy ref? This was a general election not an Indy ref. You don't half talk some shite at times.

Post edited at 11:25
 Pefa 13 Dec 2019
In reply to summo:

In 2013, Corbyn was awarded the Gandhi Foundation International Peace Award. His commitment to peace and human rights is lifelong.

In 2017 he won the Séan MacBride Peace Prize. 

This man would have been an historic leader. 

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2017/12/10/mainstream-media-dont-want-know-corb...

In reply to Pefa:

Biggest defeat in modern history, nothing do do with me Guv!

Sums it up really. 

rogerwebb 13 Dec 2019
In reply to skog:

Wise post. 

Congratulations on getting your man elected. Not my politics but at least he seems sincere. 

(not quite as bad being a liberal as I feared, but it was a low bar) 

pec 13 Dec 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> The proof of the pudding...

> I hope you get what you wanted from Brexit and the Boris govt. 

Absolutely. One thing that is hard to do on UKC is have a nuanced debate about the Conservatives "cos' they're all c****."

Well actually they're not. They get some things right and some things wrong, just as Labour did. No party has a monopoly on the truth or competance.

As I said above my overwhelming emotion is a sense of relief that we've doged the Corbyn bullet. That doesn't make me an uncritical admirer of Johnson or all things Tory but its very hard to make that point on here. When 90% of posters are screaming at you it's hard to whisper back.

> Who's going to take the British government to court for declining a second indy ref? This was a general election not an Indy ref. You don't half talk some shite at times.

The same guys as funded the lawsuits Boris lost a few months ago have approached the same counsel and will be launching a crowdfunder in January if Boris refuses the s30 order.

skog 13 Dec 2019
In reply to rogerwebb:

> Congratulations on getting your man elected. Not my politics but at least he seems sincere. 

Cheers. It's a small victory in the context, but I'll take it.

> (not quite as bad being a liberal as I feared, but it was a low bar) 

Time will tell what really happened here - but I do wonder whether the Lib Dem collapse is entirely real.

They were counting on a lot of tactical voting going their way (which would have generated a slightly misleading 'victory' in terms of numbers), but I suspect it actually worked the other way, with potential Lib Dem voters instead voting Labour (or sometimes SNP), against the Tory candidates.

Post edited at 11:37

I really don't see how a Scottish court can force a political decision on the UK government and I if they tried to then I would expect the government to ignore it. What is the legal basis for this? It's not going to happen without the express consent of the UK government. 

Mike Stretford 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

> Absolutely. One thing that is hard to do on UKC is have a nuanced debate about the Conservatives "cos' they're all c****."

> Well actually they're not. They get some things right and some things wrong, just as Labour did. No party has a monopoly on the truth or competance.

> As I said above my overwhelming emotion is a sense of relief that we've doged the Corbyn bullet. That doesn't make me an uncritical admirer of Johnson or all things Tory but its very hard to make that point on here. When 90% of posters are screaming at you it's hard to whisper back.

You haven't been whispering... you've been shouting very loudly about the danger of something that was never going to happen, a Corbyn government.

As you say they Tories have always been a mixed bunch, but less so now. They've got rid of their more moderate, experienced, and competent MPs. What truly worries me is that if their is another global financial crisis or similar, there is no one in government competent enough to deal with it. Cummings is good at slogans..... running a country is a whole different ball game.

Post edited at 11:46
In reply to Mike Stretford:

"What truly worries me is that if their is another global financial crisis or similar, there is no one in government competent enough to deal with it."

You can't have been that worried...you voted Labour didn't you?

summo 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> This man would have been an historic leader. 

his leadership skills shone through yesterday. 

Or do you mean historically incompetent? Worst ever. He make Milliband look capable. 

colinakmc 13 Dec 2019
In reply to summo:

Well intentioned and decent but not a leader.

stevieb 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

> As I said above my overwhelming emotion is a sense of relief that we've doged the Corbyn bullet. That doesn't make me an uncritical admirer of Johnson or all things Tory but its very hard to make that point on here.

I don't feel that we've dodged a bullet here, I think the Conservative front bench is pretty scary. But I agree that I would also have been worried about a Corbyn majority, with the incredible promises, it's just that that was so unlikely. The Conservatives cabinet (if not their manifesto) is very much to the right of all cabinets in my memory. There was this wide open goal to the left of them, but Corbyn went and aimed at the corner flag.  

pec 13 Dec 2019

> You haven't been whispering... you've been shouting very loudly about the danger of something that was never going to happen, a Corbyn government.

Exactly my point, subtlety doesn't get you anywhere on here against the wall of sound from the left.

It's easy to say a Corbyn government was never going to happen now we know he's been slaughtered but with the polls tightening as they were and Labour still enjoying a built in electoral advantage of 4 to 5% because of the unequal size of constituencies ( https://tinyurl.com/vmkzs9m ) there was no guarantee that Corbyn wouldn't end up in no.10

He wouldn't even need to have an overall majority to wreak havoc, PMs have a lot of executive power and their ministers (especially the Chancellor) can do a lot behind the scenes which may not get noticed until it is too late.

pec 13 Dec 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> I don't feel that we've dodged a bullet here, I think the Conservative front bench is pretty scary. But I agree that I would also have been worried about a Corbyn majority, with the incredible promises, it's just that that was so unlikely.

See my point above about executive power, PMs and ministers can do a lot without parliamentary approval.

> I really don't see how a Scottish court can force a political decision on the UK government and I if they tried to then I would expect the government to ignore it. What is the legal basis for this? It's not going to happen without the express consent of the UK government. 

As I understand it UN laws on self determination and it's a two pronged strategy, first there's a chance they could win in court but second, in order to defend the case the UK government would need to make arguments that would be politically very difficult.

jkarran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to rogerwebb:

> English government? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2019/results

Technically, no but one look at that sickening map of seats won and it's hard to argue this will be anything but an English government.

The hopeful can of course cling onto the idea the tories will need to nourish the neglected regions and nations of the UK in order to hold the tottering pile together and cling to their unlikely gains but this election wasn't paid for and won in order for them to do that. Johnson's investors will demand returns, woe betide him if he tries slip those Faustian bonds now because  there's a long line of ghouls behind him more than willing to do what we hope he might not be.

jk

Post edited at 12:42
 rogerwebb 13 Dec 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> Technically, no

Actually no. Unless and until we vote to leave the UK it is the UK government. Remember 54% of Scottish voters voted for avowedly unionist parties. 

jkarran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to rogerwebb:

> Actually no.

Let's see how it feels after five more years. My bet is this will be a London based, City facing government desperately fighting for the whole term to control the fires it starts over the next few months. Smoke makes great cover.

jk

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> "What truly worries me is that if their is another global financial crisis or similar, there is no one in government competent enough to deal with it."

> You can't have been that worried...you voted Labour didn't you?

I voted and campaigned for a good Labour MP with a realistic view of the possible outcomes, hoping for a hung parliament at best.

I could understand that kind of snarky comment pre-election, but not now and I'm surprised. I'm talking about the reality of the situation this country is in now, and you're talking about something that was never going to happen.

The reality is we have a clown for PM for the next 5 years, with Cummings pulling the strings, and we have no idea what his plans are. We do know it's a government a number of competent Tories could not serve in, Hammond ect.

In reply to pec:

> PMs have a lot of executive power and their ministers (especially the Chancellor) can do a lot behind the scenes which may not get noticed until it is too late.

Scary innit! Boris couldn't handle Foreign Secretary and now he has all that power, without the more experienced and competent Tories holding him back.

RomTheBear 13 Dec 2019
In reply to summo:

> Logically, every country in the world can't have a net in flow of people to maintain growth, so they are destined to fail? In these times of climate change, finite resources etc perhaps economies shouldn't be relying on endless growth to survive? 

Imbecilic point. First of all not every country in the world had a demographic imbalance in the same direction. Some have two many youth and others have too many old. Movement of people is what allows to balance dynamically between different needs.

As for climate change, also an  imbecilic point, I don’t see how someone moving from say, Poland to Scotland would do anything to the climate. If anything Scotland is a good eco-friendly place to live, ahead of many other developoed countries in terms of emissions per capita.

> If the snp are so amazing at running Scotland, they should have no problem attracting a few of the 50+ million living in England, wales and NI. 

This has nothing to do with SNP being good at running things. You have a demographic problem that originates from the 50 years ago.

Moreover, economic and demographic reasons are secondary, we just like the ability to move freely in Europe and we have strong cultural and personal links with Europe which we enjoy. It should be up to us to decide who we welcome in the country not up to some pathologically xenophobic arseholes in Westminster.

Post edited at 13:42
 gavmac 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I’m hoping for a disastrous Brexit. Hopefully that will induce some sense of perspective in the deluded who still believe in the union in Scotland. Short term pain for long term gain. I despise Westminster and everything it stands for. 

FactorXXX 13 Dec 2019

> Jo Swinson has rightly resigned, and it would be a total disgrace if Jeremy Corbyn hasn't done so by lunchtime today. The most disastrous political leader I've seen in my (70 year) lifetime.

That would mean him taking a pay cut of about £50000 though.

In reply to gavmac:

> I’m hoping for a disastrous Brexit. Hopefully that will induce some sense of perspective in the deluded who still believe in the union in Scotland. Short term pain for long term gain. I despise Westminster and everything it stands for. 

I'm not hoping for disaster but can't see things working out very well. My silver lining is I think the next few years will finally see an end to British/English exceptionalism.

Lord_ash2000 13 Dec 2019
In reply to gavmac:

How can anyone be hoping for a disastrous Brexit? 

You might not have wanted it but it's pretty clear the people do, just ask the huge number of Labour voters who've been prepared to vote tory yesterday to get their wish. 

The fight is over, the course is been laid in, we are all leaving the EU and that is certain now. So to hope it goes badly is to wish destruction and pain on your fellow citizens, remainers and all for what exactly? So you can sit there and smugly say "I told you so"?

The debate is over and the choice is made, now we all need to pull together and try and make this work for the country as a whole.

Lusk 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

[poverty] ... don't you care, or do you just choose to ignore it?

Well, waiting for an answer?

You can pontificate till the cows come home, blah blah blah.

What do you honestly feel in the depths of your soul about poverty in this country?

No facts, no links, no bullshit, your feelings.

Give me an honest answer and I promise you, you'll never hear from me again.  I'll get Alan to delete my account.

OP Cú Chullain 13 Dec 2019
In reply to mullermn:

> Did you say momentum? We've got one you can have.

> You just need to give them a few minutes to edit their slogan though, since their agenda has been categorically shown to be 'For the few not the many'.

Or more accurately, their informal slogan has been:

"For the many, but not the jew"

In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> The debate is over and the choice is made, now we all need to pull together and try and make this work for the country as a whole.

Feck that! The reality is we are a very divided nation in more than one way... you can't pull together with people you fundamentally diasgree with.

As for gavmac's post, he said 'short term pain for long term gain', he gave decent reasoning so there's no need for the question marks.

Lusk 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Looks like the Jews have argh, sorry, The Establishment, have won.

summo 13 Dec 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

>  If anything Scotland is a good eco-friendly place to live, ahead of many other developoed countries in terms of emissions per capita.

Lower because it's been funded by money added to the electricity bills of everyone in the UK. Not a particularly Scottish achievement. Just a fluke of location or geography. 

jkarran 13 Dec 2019

> How can anyone be hoping for a disastrous Brexit? You might not have wanted it but it's pretty clear the people do, just ask the huge number of Labour voters who've been prepared to vote tory yesterday to get their wish. 

By 'the people' I assume you mean a notable minority, 45.6%, of the electorate?

jk

so you voted and campaigned for something that you (only now) admit was never going to happen? 

I'm not being "snarky", my point was totally legitimate.  You consistently posted your support and desire for a Labour win. If you really were truely worried about another pending GFC....why were you campaigning about spending/borrowing  trillions on nationalisation and the poor ?

and as for "always knew it was never going to happen"... come on, I know you're trying to save face but nobody is buying that. 

pec 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> [poverty] ... don't you care, or do you just choose to ignore it?

> Well, waiting for an answer?

I'm treating your posts with the contempt they deserve. You've been screaming and ranting from your high horse at people like me for a long time and the result is your team has been slaughtered.

You might have noticed that I haven't been gloating at all despite the obvious opportunity I have to do so. I'd suggest you need to go and calm down, stop shouting for a while and try listening instead. If not to me then at least to the moderate wing of your party (you know, the ones who've actually managed to win sometimes) who now feel liberated to say what I've been saying for months, namely that Corbyn was an unelectable idiot who insulted the electorate with a delusional manifesto and got what he deserved.

pec 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> Looks like the Jews have argh, sorry, The Establishment, have won.

And then people wonder why the hard left is synonymous with anti-semitism.

> so you voted and campaigned for something that you (only now) admit was never going to happen? 

I campainged for my MP and she won.

> I'm not being "snarky", my point was totally legitimate.  You consistently posted your support and desire for a Labour win. If you really were truely worried about another pending GFC....why were you campaigning about spending/borrowing  trillions on nationalisation and the poor ?

> and as for "always knew it was never going to happen"... come on, I know you're trying to save face but nobody is buying that. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/what_no_jon_ashworth_thread-713...

You seem to have changed character to fit in with the new government. A shame.

Roadrunner6 13 Dec 2019

Why? He campaigned on his policies and was rejected. This was always an election in Brexit and he opted to ignore that and campaign on policies and the people just wanted to focus on Brexit. The biggest issue in a generation and he goes out and says he's neutral... 

We just need a sensible moderate party. We will get more left taking that approach than by a far left approach which has historically, and continues to be rejected. 

Why does he need to control which way we go now? He has lost an election bad, very very bad, and seems to think we need continuity?!

Even in quitting the man is an incompetent buffoon.

Labour are decimated as a party, the lib dems some how didn't capitalize and we've been left with a massive Tory majority. 

Had they come together and been one unified Remain argument we may have won but it was too much about them personally and it continues to be.

All I have done is questioned your logic in campaigning and voting for labour if you were truly worried about a pending global financial disaster. I picked you up on it due to Labours spending promises and that you were vociferous on here campaigning for them. That's fair game isn't it? 

> and as for "always knew it was never going to happen"... come on, I know you're trying to save face but nobody is buying that. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/what_no_jon_ashworth_thread-713... 3

ok, happy to concede on that point

Roadrunner6 13 Dec 2019

>

> The debate is over and the choice is made, now we all need to pull together and try and make this work for the country as a whole.

Of course it isn't. The debate continues. That is what being in a democracy is about. No, like UKIP when we were in, people will argue for being in. If we go back in, people are free to argue we should be out. How ignorant are you to say a debate is ever over in a free society?

Roadrunner6 13 Dec 2019

Re economies. I wouldn't vote for them because I think they are economically dangerous. They say they are for austerity yet did nothing to the national debt. All the hardships they put on the people with no gain. Lets not in anyway pretend that they are a safe choice for the economy.

republicans spent years here shouting at Obama for the same, took power, held 3 branches of government, and did nothing to it. Yet still say they conservative.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

" I wouldn't vote for them because I think they are economically dangerous. They say they are for austerity yet did nothing to the national debt."

But in comparison to Corbyns last manifesto? If you we very worried about another GFC? 

> All I have done is questioned your logic in campaigning and voting for labour if you were truly worried about a pending global financial disaster. I picked you up on it due to Labours spending promises and that you were vociferous on here campaigning for them. That's fair game isn't it? 

Decent little joke, but it didn't come across that way. As I can demonstrate I was campaigning to limit Labour losses... I'm a member, it's what I'm supposed to do.

I'd have seen it as more 'banter' if you'd bothered to engage on my points about the current government we now have, tbh. This 'Corbyn would have been worse' talk will wear very thin, very soon.

Post edited at 15:00
Roadrunner6 13 Dec 2019

Corbyn is a disaster . He's the most arrogant incompetent politician around. After being so soundly rejected he thinks he needs to stay around to ensure continuity.. Even in resigning he's useless. 

Not sure what this means?

"If you we very worried about another GFC? "

The New NickB 13 Dec 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> Still undecided, Green or Labour. Pretty safe Labour seat.

> jk

I hope you put a bloody big bet on this, would take the edge off a bit.

RomTheBear 13 Dec 2019
In reply to summo:

> Lower because it's been funded by money added to the electricity bills of everyone in the UK. Not a particularly Scottish achievement. Just a fluke of location or geography. 

Completely not the point. As usual.

Roadrunner6 13 Dec 2019

One of the most annoying things is the country is now heading out. This was an election on Brexit and almost all those pro Brexit got behind one party and those opposed to Brexit seemed to spread the vote.

We'll never know just how many pro-brexit voters voted for Labour but I doubt too many.

Had the Remain parties focused purely on Remain, like the Tories made this about Brexit, we may have seen a different outcome.. instead Jezza is off there promising free broad band...

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Not sure what this means?

"If you we very worried about another GFC? "

I was debating Mike, who mentioned it (Global Financial Crisis) and was asking him why he is now worried about it with a decent Tory majority, yet not if his party had come to power. His responses have been a tad salty but considering the night he's had, that's understandable so no drama with me.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Had the Remain parties focused purely on Remain, like the Tories made this about Brexit, we may have seen a different outcome..

I don't think so. Labour lost leave voting constituencies, so they'd have still gone and probably more if Labour had gone full remain. Labour would have had to take seats they'd never won to compensate for that, and that was never going to happen.

In reply to rogerwebb:

> Actually no. Unless and until we vote to leave the UK it is the UK government. Remember 54% of Scottish voters voted for avowedly unionist parties. 

So since more than 50% of UK voters voted for parties (Lab, LibDem, SNP, Green, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance) that wanted a second EU referendum or to cancel Brexit outright I guess we shouldn't be leaving in January?

It's the English government now.  It has no legitimacy in Scotland and actually there's also more nationalist than unionist MP's in northern Ireland as well.

> I was debating Mike, who mentioned it (Global Financial Crisis) and was asking him why he is now worried about it with a decent Tory majority, yet not if his party had come to power. His responses have been a tad salty but considering the night he's had, that's understandable so no drama with me.

I had a good night, went climbing, got drunk listening to music, didn't watch the election. As I've said the result was within my expectations. I was quite surprised at your 'saltiness' and misrepresentation of my views, seemed out of character, especially for someone who I'd thought would be happy.

Post edited at 16:06
 rogerwebb 13 Dec 2019

> So since more than 50% of UK voters voted for parties (Lab, LibDem, SNP, Green, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance) that wanted a second EU referendum or to cancel Brexit outright I guess we shouldn't be leaving in January?

No argument from me against a second referendum. 

> It's the English government now.  It has no legitimacy in Scotland and actually there's also more nationalist than unionist MP's in northern Ireland as well.

No. Its the UK government. The constitution hasn't changed. 

jkarran 13 Dec 2019

Thankfully not, 1 seat short

Oh for a rotten hung-parliament hangover and some Chicken Licken mockery from the usual suspects.

jk

In reply to jkarran:

> Oh for a rotten hung-parliament hangover and some Chicken Licken mockery from the usual suspects.

I wander if PMP will come back? To be fair, at least he's not on here gloating!

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Eh? I was just making the point that I don't think Labour abandoning the idea of a PV on Brexit would've done much for their electoral performance as they'd have just been punished by their remain voters. I didn't mention anything positive about Corbyn, in fact I said he had catastrophic approval ratings. I hold him mostly responsible for Labour's dire performance and he absolutely needs to go as soon as possible. But I also think that Labour need to do some thinking about why they lost and what direction they want to go in now before electing another leader rather than either immediately replacing him with another Momentum type OR swinging back rightwards and totally writing off the idea that they could be a moderate centre left party. So I think a time under an interim leader while they do a deep dive into the election result would be sensible.

I'm seriously considering joining the party just so I can have a say in the next leadership election and try to prevent another Momentumite from taking the leadership.

Lord_ash2000 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> ....How ignorant are you to say a debate is ever over in a free society?

Allow me to pin down what I meant. The debate on whether we leave or not, on what terms we leave and when we leave is over. We have a government with a large majority, we have a deal and we have a date. 

Once we're out there will be debate on the terms of trade deals and what have you of course but we are finally over the "are we leaving the EU?" hurdle now. 

Post edited at 18:29
Roadrunner6 13 Dec 2019

But the 'should we rejoin the EU' debate then starts, like the 'should we leave the EU' debate has been going from day dot. 

UKIP essentially started the moment we signed the Maastricht treaty. They didn't say 'well lets give it a decade and see how it goes.' They started with a Euro-sceptic party in 91, finishing with UKIP in 93. 

Whether Brexit happens or not (and it almost certainly will), whether we remain out will continue to rumble for generations and generations. We're an island nation on the edge of a massive continent, we'll always have that uneasy relationship.

John2 13 Dec 2019

' OR swinging back rightwards and totally writing off the idea that they could be a moderate centre left party'

Are you claiming that the Labour of Corbyn and McDonnell was a moderate centre left party? The Guardian considered their manifesto the most radical in decades https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/21/labour-manifesto-to-slap-1... .

You are probably too young to remember the 98% income tax rate under Harold Wilson. The Beatles wrote a song about it  - 'One for you, nineteen for me - I'm the taxman'. Forty-nine for me didn't scan so well. The Rolling Stones reacted by decamping to the south of France to record Exile on Main Street - one of their greatest albums, which might have been even better if they had felt able to stay in the UK. That's what happens when a radical left-wing government gets its teeth into the people who are creating wealth.

In reply to John2:

No but I think they could be. I think there's space between where they currently are and where the party was under Tony Blair and that's where I'd like them to be. So yes to higher taxes (for everyone) and public spending but no to ideological renationalisation without a good business case. Yes to aiming to reduce inequality and improve workers rights but no to copycat striking etc. I don't think that's too unreasonable to want.

jkarran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Whether Brexit happens or not (and it almost certainly will), whether we remain out will continue to rumble for generations and generations. We're an island nation on the edge of a massive continent, we'll always have that uneasy relationship.

I disagree, It dies very fast two ways. One, the punishment narrative, that the pain we suffer as we break with Europe is not self inflicted but an act of EU aggression. With media support that will easily gain traction and the media can hardly about face to own the blame they richly deserve. Next, a hurried, probably very incomplete trade agreement with the US, a vanity project for Johnson and a barbed hook from Trump. Designed right that makes return to the SM practically impossible without revisiting the pain of this break all over again by breaking with America.

Jk

jkarran 13 Dec 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> Thankfully not, 1 seat short

Oh cock. 80.

John2 13 Dec 2019

OK I will agree with you there. In Blair’s day both sides were in search of the ‘clear blue water’ that would allow them to claim that they were either to the left or the right of a dead-centre position. It now remains to be discovered whether all Johnson’s promises on the NHS education etc were merely electoral blather or something more substantial. I’m not holding my breath.

Lusk 13 Dec 2019
In reply to pec:

I've been saving you for last.

Instead of answering the simple question you've been asked, we get a load of aggressive verbage.

From your refusal to answer the simple question, I can only assume the worst, that you don't give a f*ck about the poor.  I hold you in the utter contempt that I have for most of our British politicians who lie and twist the truth and generally try and bullshit us.

My parting words to you dear are, when you're lieing on your death bed in the corridor in one of your 40 new hospitals, waiting for attention because there ain't no nurses to care for you, you'll see me looming over you, pointing the finger, told you so!

Post edited at 19:31

> Allow me to pin down what I meant. The debate on whether we leave or not, on what terms we leave and when we leave is over. We have a government with a large majority, we have a deal and we have a date. 

> Once we're out there will be debate on the terms of trade deals and what have you of course but we are finally over the "are we leaving the EU?" hurdle now. 

Thanks for the clarification, like from me.

I can see why Tories might think the phrase 'lets pull together' might be magnanimous, but it doesn't work, sounds like an appeal for unquestioning loyalty.

Master Chief 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Spearos:

Have a like from me 😂

Roadrunner6 13 Dec 2019
In reply to jkarran:

A trade deal needs congress. It’s taken them 2 years to get the new NAFTA agreement through, we’re now impeaching and then we have the election.

not much will go through a Democrat Congress that in any way hurts Ireland so the Good Friday agreement is still an issue.

i would be very surprised if any deal can be done before November - assuming Trump lasts that long.

Removed User 13 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Last night the SNP got 45% of the vote when many voted that way just to keep the Tories out. 

Pan Ron 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> From your refusal to answer the simple question, I can only assume the worst, that you don't give a f*ck about the poor. 

In my experience conservatives often give more of a fukc about the poor.  They just don't spend all their time telling people about it and have a different idea (a stronger overall economy and cutting back on the debt interest) about how to achieve it.  Your caricatures of "the other" are why Labour isn't attractive.

> My parting words to you dear are, when you're lieing on your death bed in the corridor in one of your 40 new hospitals, waiting for attention because there ain't no nurses to care for you, you'll see me looming over you, pointing the finger, told you so!

Gosh.  That's rather scary.   

And when your apocalyptic scenarios don't eventuate, fortunately for you, most of us will have forgotten you were ever screaming "the end is nigh!" as the doomsday predictions have just become an endless stream by now.

pec 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> I've been saving you for last.

Ooh I am privileged

> From your refusal to answer the simple question, I can only assume the worst, that you don't give a f*ck about the poor.  I hold you in the utter contempt that I have for most of our British politicians who lie and twist the truth and generally try and bullshit us.

Assume what you like, just don't expect me to start giving detailed responses to random policy questions of your choice after we've already had the election, its a bit late now really.

> My parting words to you dear are, when you're lieing on your death bed in the corridor in one of your 40 new hospitals, waiting for attention because there ain't no nurses to care for you, you'll see me looming over you, pointing the finger, told you so!

Wow, you've really got some issues. Go and lie down in a dark place before you have an aneurysm.

When the f*** will people like you ever get it through to your thick heads that it's precisely this kind of attitude that turns people away from the left. That's why you keep losing elections. If you still don't get that today of all days then god help you.

Post edited at 00:01
 RomTheBear 14 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

I like your style.

MG 14 Dec 2019
In reply to MG:

John Yates, shouty man formerly of this parish, has just emailed me to gloat after interpreting this as a prediction of the actual election. Nuts! 

> So it looks like a Lib/Lab/SNP hung parliament then. 

Jon Stewart 14 Dec 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> In my experience conservatives often give more of a fukc about the poor.  They just don't spend all their time telling people about it and have a different idea (a stronger overall economy and cutting back on the debt interest) about how to achieve it.

There's every reason to be pissed off with the labour since, well Iraq. But what you've said here is mad. The tories demonised the poor and balanced the books on the back of the most vulnerable in society. 

No one has yet been able to explain how trickle down works. If you don't raise taxes to build schools and hospitals, how do the poor benefit from higher growth? Sure, there's more jobs, but they get low wage jobs while prices rise, and their kids still get a shit education. 

I'm glad we've put the brexit debate to bed, because a 2nd ref would have been f*cking shit. More limbo would have been f*cking shit. I think brexit will be an economic disaster and the promised investment will be just like every other boris lie. We'll be living in a shithole, because all the tories ever do is look after their own. But let's hope I'm wrong - it's logically possible, if utterly unlikely. 

Post edited at 14:12
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> ... But let's hope I'm wrong - it's logically possible, if utterly unlikely. 

As you say, logically possible , but empirically, virtually impossible. The big question I keep asking people is: how is it actually meant to help us, being out of the EU? No one can ever answer it. There's vague talk about 'the rest of the world' as if we've suddenly joined a new planet. Mostly it seems to be a feel good thing (for them) – they want out because they don't want to have any connection with 'foreigners'.

My god, Boris has got a lot to live up to. All these new hospitals ... where's the nursing staff and doctors going to come from, when we've lost at least 3,000 since the referendum? And he's promised to create 50,000 more !!! I hope the Oxford Dictionary is updating to give Boris as a primary exemplar of a 'bullshitter'.

Post edited at 17:46
 Dewi Williams 14 Dec 2019

I have seen people interviewed who have talked about the spirit of the blitz, like they want to recreate a period of food shortages. I am not saying we will have food shortages but it is clear that many people would accept this as a consequence of brexit. At this point you kind of give up trying to work out where people are coming from. 

wercat 14 Dec 2019

brainwashed

you put about so many falsehoods publicly that no one knows what is true any more.

people are then open to suggestion by private personalised whispers spread by infiltration of social media - even trusted contacts or stuff they search is filtered so it contains suggestions they pick up on as if they have worked something out for themselves.

The terrifying result is all the interviews with conservative voters and brexiteers who all come out with so little variation of what they say

Post edited at 20:29
 wercat 14 Dec 2019

for the reason I've given it does not need to be proven that it will help us at all to leave the EU.  that is a personal thing, obvious to the believer, known only unto the person who was "got at" by social media and propagated lies.

You could call these people "radicalised"

No

The means used to secure this victory have a cost. That cost is in widely accepted legitimacy. 

I don’t wish for ill on anyone as a result of this. But “pull together”? That ship was sunk long ago. 

In reply to MG:

> John Yates, shouty man formerly of this parish, has just emailed me to gloat after interpreting this as a prediction of the actual election. Nuts! 

I've just had similar. When I hadn't made any firm prediction. I simply said that I hoped there might be a hung parliament (because at that point, that's what the bookies were saying), but qualified it by saying 'I may be being massively overoptimistic'. As you say, he's nuts. Also, talk about lack of magnanimity in victory.

In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> I don’t wish for ill on anyone as a result of this. But “pull together”? That ship was sunk long ago. 

The other weird comment he's made is 'Let the healing begin' ... when he and his government are the ones who created this whole massive, totally unnecessary wound in the first place.

Mr. Lee 15 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> You say momentum are far left yet the policies are no different to Scandinavian countries and tax policies of France and Germany so are they all far left?

> No. 

That's not true, at least in the case of Norway. There's been a generally conservative government coalition for a number of years now. The trains in Norway being privatisatised about a year ago is just one example. Corbin would represent the far left, even in Norway. 

Mike Stretford 15 Dec 2019

> The other weird comment he's made is 'Let the healing begin' ... when he and his government are the ones who created this whole massive, totally unnecessary wound in the first place.

And for all the bellicose comments about not paying the divorce bill, and not having an Irish backstop, Boris Johnson and the ERG ect have agreed to both of those (it is an NI only backstop).  

Post edited at 11:31
 wercat 15 Dec 2019

perhaps their project has been to make aevery one else fajel and then take on the work and push it through as their own work - having taken ownership and control in every way

the clue is embedded in the message "TAKE back CONTROL" but for whom it is left open. The taking control is by birthright for the few

Never in the field of British Politics was so much taken in by so many from so few

Post edited at 12:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...