UKC

UKMail - anyone else had problems?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 17 Jun 2014
They were supposed to deliver a mobile phone to me yesterday.

On returning home early (14:30) hoping to catch the delivery, I found no card and thought great, it hasn't come yet but will later.

I then checked the tracking website which states it was successfully delivered at 13:18 and signed for by [my surname].

I've been chasing them ever since, but htey seem unable to return calls. Was told that the driver would return to where he delivered it to confirm identity before the end of his shift yesterday - he didn't. UK Mail are still claiming it was delivered correctly - I have pointed out that there was no one home, and therefore it could not have possibly been delivered correctly.

Think I might head to their distribution centre tonight.
 woolsack 17 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

This thread title could so easily be Citylink, DPD, Parcelforce <insert carrier name here>

When they barely pay minimum wage to the drivers, is it any wonder they don't give a stuff?
OP balmybaldwin 17 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I've never had a company claim a package has been signed for when it hasn't before
 toad 17 Jun 2014
> (In reply to woolsack)
>
> I've never had a company claim a package has been signed for when it hasn't before

here's a thing. I ordered some odd sized light bullbs and a parcel came through the letterbox that self evidently wasn't a box of light bulbs (it came through the letterbox!). I legged it after the driver who was already pulling away. Very put out, quite stressy, but took the random delivery back and located mine in the back of the van. Gave me mine, which I noticed had the tear off signed for thingy intact, so I asked him if I needed to sign for it. Some shiftiness later and it transpired I had "signed" for the other parcel. Seems he was running very late......
 Neil Williams 17 Jun 2014
In reply to toad:

If something can go through the letterbox, I don't see a massive need for signing for it these days. It does get faked in that manner, and so just as good, if not better, would be a requirement for the courier to take and submit a photograph of the front door it was posted through.

Neil
In reply to toad:

That's what I mean - it's blatant fraud
 Little Brew 17 Jun 2014

we stopped using them for our company parcel service as the often failed to deliver as promised, or better yet, said no one was in at a 24 hour 2 man security hut??
cap'nChino 17 Jun 2014

One thing which I have never understood is why letter boxes these days are so small. Would it not make more sense to have larger letter boxes perhaps one of those tamper proof ones where you cant get your hands in when it is open.

It will at least solve the problem for some of the none signed for packages.
 rallymania 17 Jun 2014

EE by any chance? they failed to deliver an upgrade phone to me couple of months ago, ended up cancelling as they "lost" the parcel

one step away from useless
In reply to rallymania:

No, GiffGaff
 rallymania 17 Jun 2014

that's good to know, after the above silliness, i moved to giffgaff... will not order a phone from them either then
In reply to rallymania:

It's annoying, the giffgaff way seems to make sense... but ukmail are not impressing me (still waiting for a call back apparently they don't know how to contact their driver - I suggested phoning him - this ironically seems like witch craft to the bloke on the phone)
 Ava Adore 17 Jun 2014

I have had so many problems with couriers in the past that I do not order online from some companies because of their crappy courier arrangements. I was pleasantly surprised last week though with Hermes couriers. The delivery driver used some intelligence and found a safe place to leave my parcel and told me exactly where on the card through the door. When it came to returning the goods (a dress that didn't fit), I just had to put a prepaid label on the parcel, enclose the delivery documents and take to the Post Office. Or I could have dropped off at a depot or they would have collected from me.

Not that that's any consolation to you - sorry!
 Little Brew 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

i am considering applying to work for them when i move house soon as in all my contact with them and experience from friends using them, i have only heard good things!
J1234 17 Jun 2014

Email the firm who sent you the phone, explain the situation and let them sort out, it is their problem.
 Neil Williams 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

Yeah, Hermes are a funny one. They're the lowest of the low in cost terms, so they should be as crap as Yodel or Amazon Logistics (actually APLE/Action Express) but they aren't, they're actually quite helpful. I wonder if they put their (self employed, effectively depotless) staff under far less pressure than the others.

Neil
 Indy 17 Jun 2014

Got a delivery from Amazon to my address well it was my address apart from they'd delivered it to the wrong city.

Have been told that Royal Mail has re-won the Amazon contract.
 JIMBO 17 Jun 2014

Having received a delivery time I went home to ensure I was in well before needed only to find a card had been dropped several hours before the delivery time. Card had no details on it and online tracking stated they tried to deliver when I was in! Not happy. Same happened the next day and then the customer services central 'help' line would just ring and ring... googled the local depot and got their number which was cheap and answered almost immediately... got a very apologetic man who sent it out to be delivered before 12 the following day and was all ok in the end. Poorly managed service with no real help for the receiving end only marketing for the sender...
In reply to Neil Williams:
I heard that their drivers only get paid on delivery not attempted delivery and it's only 80p a parcel iirc. Being self employed (as I understand they all are) it's their costs and time to go back so they do try hard to delivery first time. They also have their own delivery area so get well known and I guess then that they take more care.
I know the Hermes lady for my mother is really good - she knows it takes ages for mother to answer the door so waits, leaves stuff at back door when she knows mother is out, and has even returned later the same day to catch her when it was not possible to leave the parcel. All excellent.
Report the matter to Giffgaff as a non delivery. Your contract is with them (assuming that you actually bought the phone for them direct. If they don't act then it's a case of reporting a suspected theft or fraud.

mockerkin 17 Jun 2014

Check out Yodel delivery service. They have been voted worst in their industry again. It is owned by those twins who own lots of companies and live in a castle on one of the Channel Islands. They also own The Daily Telegraph.

In reply to mockerkin:

Yodel went on my blacklist years ago!

ive finally had a call back to say ill get a call in the morning from the depot manager. I wont hold my breath.
 mudmonkey 17 Jun 2014

Endless problems, bunch of clowns. Will not buy anything from websites that use UK Mail. I email and let them know that they will unfortunately lose my business due to UK Mail.
OP balmybaldwin 18 Jun 2014

So the saga continues.... I acosted the driver this lunchtime, who admitted forging the signature, and claims to have put it through my letterbox (i'd be very surprised if the package even fits in a letterbox). GiffGaff are now refunding so I have to go through this all again now!
 woolsack 18 Jun 2014
In reply to mockerkin:

> Check out Yodel delivery service. They have been voted worst in their industry again. It is owned by those twins who own lots of companies and live in a castle on one of the Channel Islands. They also own The Daily Telegraph.

Yodel managed to deliver some bike wheels for me to an address 5 miles away last night. Luckily, I know the recipient who was coming over our way yesterday and dropped them off.

Cheap and cheerful
J1234 18 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

You say luckily, that's totally amazing, a driver drops your parcel at a totally random house 5 miles from where you live, and you know them, there must be something your not telling us, like you live on the moors or a Scottish island.
 woolsack 18 Jun 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

I didn't say it was a totally random address. I did say I know them. There is a link which obviously the driver must have had running through his brain when he decided to drop them off at the wrong place.
They are both business addresses
J1234 18 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I thought there must be some link.
 gethin_allen 18 Jun 2014

I had a phone delivered by UKmail a few weeks back, it arrived a week earlier than EE said it would so I wasn't expecting it and wasn't in the house. The first thing I knew of this delivery was my neighbour knocking on my door to tell me they had accepted a parcel for me as the delivery person hadn't put any note/card through my letterbox.
I do wonder what would have happened if I didn't know my neighbours and they had just pilfered the phone.

I've had bad experiences with most of the delivery companies and now just accept that there will be some issue with the delivery. Royal Mail shoved a massive parcel through my letter box and broke the door, another royal mail driver couldn't be bothered finding the parcel in the van so just shoved a note through the door saying they had tried to deliver but hadn't really as I would have known seeing as I was sat on the stairs fixing a puncture ~8 foot from the door. City link have such remote depots and give such wide delivery time estimates I don't use them because it would be a ridiculous journey to get to the depot etc etc. they're all crap.
 joan cooper 18 Jun 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
Another tick for Hermes I got an E mail tonight to say they had delivered my parcel and a link to check the delivery history they are the best on the island except for Sky Express who pick up deliveries for other companies in Inverness and deliver on the island You get to know the drivers who know where to leave parcels if you are out. Mind you the odd scone or piece of cake helps!!!!! And the Royal mail drivers are neighbours which helps too Come live on an island
Post edited at 17:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...