UKC

Urgent PC Help PLEASE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 22 Oct 2013
I've got Avast Internet Security on my PC but the little Avast icon in the bottom RH corner of the screen has got an "x" on it. When I right click on the icon and click on Open Avast! user interface I get a panel coming up saying that my subscription has "0 days remaining" although I'm sure I renewed it earlier this year. I've then clicked on "Support" in the same panel and then to anyone of the items on the menu(FAQ; Community Forum; AVAST
Tech Support Team etc. but there is no response.

Can anyone advise me please.

I've got Windows Defender So I'm hoping that will stop anything getting at my PC until I resolve this.
 cfer 22 Oct 2013
In reply to FesteringSore: Just delete it all and get Windows Security Centre running
OP FesteringSore 22 Oct 2013
In reply to cfer: I've tried uninstalling Avast but it just say that "aswRund11.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"
 GridNorth 22 Oct 2013
In reply to cfer: 2nd that. I've tried them all Avast, McAphee, Norton etc. etc. Windows Security Centre is the least intrusive and free. Knowing if it is more affective at protecting than the others however is a little difficult to determine.

Quite ofetn to get rid of these things it's necessary to download an uninstall application.
Lusk 22 Oct 2013
In reply to FesteringSore:
> (In reply to cfer) I've tried uninstalling Avast but it just say that "aswRund11.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Open Task Manager and if it appears in the Processes tab, try and end it, then retry uninstall.

+1 for MS security.
In reply to Lusk:
> (In reply to FesteringSore)
> [...]
>
> Open Task Manager and if it appears in the Processes tab, try and end it, then retry uninstall.
>
> +1 for MS security.
AvastUI.exe is shown in the Processes of the Task Manager

Lusk 22 Oct 2013

Click on it, the click End Process
In reply to Lusk:
> (In reply to FesteringSore)
>
> Click on it, the click End Process

Now it say
Operation could not be completed. Access is denied.

Going to try a restore
 LastBoyScout 22 Oct 2013

You might need to start your PC in safe mode and disable it before deleting it.

Alternatively, you might need administrator rights to do anything with the file - without knowing your exact configuration it's hard to tell.
FiendishMcButton 22 Oct 2013
 wilkie14c 22 Oct 2013
In reply to FesteringSore why is this urgent? I don't understand the urgency
In reply to wilkie14c:
> In reply to FesteringSore why is this urgent? I don't understand the urgency
Because I have some urgent work to do on my pc
I've managed to get on to my account on the Avast web page and all my subscriptions are up to date so I don't understand why I'm seeng the little "X" on the avast icon
 John_Hat 22 Oct 2013
> (In reply to wilkie14c)
> [...]
> Because I have some urgent work to do on my pc

If you don't need the internet to do said work just unplug the d@mn thing from the network.

If you do need the internet then there's a number of options.

Not got time now to go through them, but you could just not worry too much about it. Personally, my view is if you are keeping yourself to well known web sites and don't do anything silly like open email attachments with .exe in the filename most of the time you'll be fine. Even surfing distinctly iffy parts of the web I've only picked up viruses a couple of times.
 Jonny2vests 22 Oct 2013
> (In reply to cfer) I've tried uninstalling Avast but it just say that "aswRund11.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Reinstall it, then uninstall it?
 John_Hat 23 Oct 2013
> I've managed to get on to my account on the Avast web page and all my subscriptions are up to date so I don't understand why I'm seeng the little "X" on the avast icon

If you try and install it is there an option to "repair a broken installation" or similar?

My sympathy, by the way. I've had occasion to try and get rid of anti-virus programs before and some of the bl**dy things just_refuse_to_die. Norton used to be famous for it. These days I just format and reinstall windows. 45 mins and I know it's the computer equivilant of being buried at a crossroads with a stake through it.
 ByEek 23 Oct 2013
In reply to FesteringSore: My advice would be to uninstall Avast and forget about installing any more antivirus software on your PC. Instead, I would recommend you don't click on dodgy URLs and use the likes of GMail for your email rather than outlook or similar.
OP FesteringSore 23 Oct 2013
In reply to ByEek:
> (In reply to FesteringSore) My advice would be to uninstall Avast
Please see my 16:34 post
I've also noticed, may or may not be connected, that if I click on a link in an email it doesn't open.
Removed User 23 Oct 2013

Boot to safe mode (restart the computer and spam f8 until you get a list of options, choose safe mode with networking) and uninstall Avast.

Reboot back to normal desktop, download Microsoft Security Essentials and install that. Let it update, don't bother with quick scan. You don't need to worry about not having an antivi while doing this step.

Please don't pay for AV, they do nothing that a normal (free) antivirus doesn't do and they tend to be shit programs that eat up resources.
Srick 23 Oct 2013

Your computer is not going to blow up if you dont have Anti Virus protection.

If i had to have protection, im a massive fan of ESET. Its, very clean and uses hardly any RAM space. I hate chunky fat asthmatic programs running in the background.
Managed to get through to Avast this morning - a freephone number - and spoke to a very helpful lady who sent me idiot proof instructions. Now all sorted. Credit to Avast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...