UKC

US visa question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 29 Jan 2013
Daughter Greenbanks' school has asked for a "visa and OV7" for her forthcoming trip to NY. Got the visa - but what is an OV7?
Never heard of one of these...

Any clues?

Cheers
 rallymania 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Greenbanks:

nearest i could find in 30 seconds of google is a professional payment services document ie some sort of payrole code

... or a latin american pop group, but i don't think it's that!

OP Greenbanks 29 Jan 2013
In reply to rallymania:

Likewise! I wondered whether it was simply a part of the Visa itself.
 Indy 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Greenbanks:
I'm almost certain that this relates to a parental consent form.
 lynda 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Greenbanks: could be related to the ESTA. You will need to get an ESTA to get into the US. Make sure you use the US gov site (they should only cost $14 as some sites charge $35+ to do it for you). Website below

h t t p s ://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Although I am a little confused, if your daughter is a UK passport holder all she would need is an ESTA I think. I've never had to apply for a visa.
 lynda 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Greenbanks: or you could ask the school
OP Greenbanks 29 Jan 2013
In reply to lynda:

Yes - that's the obvious thing (asking the School)! She is under 16 and a UK passport holder; she has the ESTA stuff too.

Wasn't it straightforward pre- 9/11????
 Nutkey 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Greenbanks:
> Daughter Greenbanks' school has asked for a "visa and OV7" for her forthcoming trip to NY. Got the visa - but what is an OV7?

If that's really what they said, they haven't a clue.

If you ring the US Embassy (at £1/minute) they'll say "a visa? What kind of visa?". Needs to be a specific type, probably B2 in this case, and you probably don't need one since she'll qualify under the Visa Waiver Programme.
 Kimono 29 Jan 2013
In reply to lynda:
if she has a visa, she doesnt need to bother with esta
 lynda 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Greenbanks: Indeed, although the ESTA thing is supposed to help the tourist industry in the US, so in my head it's just a money making scheme by the US government
 lynda 29 Jan 2013
In reply to kieran b: The ESTA is cheaper and lasts 2 years though.
 Banned User 77 29 Jan 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to lynda)
> if she has a visa, she doesnt need to bother with esta

She just needs an ESTA.. very straight forwards, starting charging £10 or $10 or so recently, but only when your last ESTA runs out, and you can (should) keep updating your ESTA with new landing/accomodation in the US details..

imkevinmc 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Greenbanks: is it the thingy that says you've OK'd a minor to travel? Or is she too old for that?
 Brass Nipples 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Greenbanks:

Ov7 is a parental consent form. If they have website may be on that, else ask your daughter to pick one up at school.
OP Greenbanks 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Greenbanks:

Thanks for all these responses - problem sorted.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...