UKC

Using ebay?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SonyaD 03 Feb 2013
Just sold my first ever things on ebay but now I'm utterly confused as to what to do next! Ebay's instructions are dire!

Just found out that the money I was paid for items won't be cleared for 21 days! 3 weeks is insane!

If I want my money sooner than this (7-14 days) then I have to post the item to the buyer.

Now I was under the impression that a seller (any seller, not just ebay!) should receive their payment BEFORE they send goods.

So my question is;

If I have a payment pending in my Paypal account and I send an item to a buyer, can that buyer cancel their payment? So they cancel the payment before the 7-14 days is up, but they already have the item that I have just sent, because that will only take 1-2 days to get there.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Why won't the money be cleared for 21 days? I normally get people to pay by Paypal and you can withdraw it to a bank account immediately (it then takes 3 - 5 days to clear I think.
Personally I wouldn't send the stuff until the payment is received/cleared.

Chris
OP SonyaD 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs: Haven't got a clue! Think it's an ebay and paypal thing. Message comes up saying the payment can take within 21 days to clear (from pending) and if you want it to clear sooner then post the item and click on ebay that it has dispatched.

I have pinged the buyer a message to let them know I will send the item once the payment has cleared.
 Fluvial 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:

You are in the stick really - I would never post an item out without getting the money in and I wonder why it will take so long - starting on ebay is a learning curve

Always stipulate immediate payment required and personally I always say UK only since its a really faff sending aboard. I would email the buyer and tell them until the money has cleared you will hold onto item.

A decent ebayer should understand or alternatively tell them you want the money sooner if not you will relist
 Fluvial 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Fluvial:

Mark it as dispatched see if that speeds it up
OP SonyaD 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Fluvial: Um, I'm not in the stick at all! I haven't actually sent the item.

The buyer can't give me the money sooner, it is the paypal/ebay combination that makes it take 21 days, not the buyer.

I have said I would prefer the buyer to pick up from certain areas or I would post at a certain price (UK only).

Have also just emailed buyer saying I will wait till the payment clears.
 LucaC 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc: I think it's an eBay safety process for new sellers. PayPal/eBay hold the money once the buyer has paid, you post, buyer marks as received and eBay release the money to you. It's a bit cack handed, but you just have to live with it until you have sold a few items and certified your account.
 mike123 03 Feb 2013
In reply to LJC: as above, its to protect people from bogus sellers, i d post it now if i were you but registered/signed for , if you doubt the buyer then take lots of pictures before posting to prove condition. if i were buying from you i would nt want wait three weeks to get my stuff. in their eyes they ve paid.
 Andypandyroo 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:

This has just happened to me. Until feedback is received for that item, no funds will be released.

It's a right pain...apparently it's only for new sellers though!

Hope this helps.
 lost1977 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:

paypal sometimes holds on to money (items that paypal considers higher risk) to stop dodgy sellers scamming and running with the money before buyer receives goods
 ayuplass 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:
It's related to the status of your paypal account, you have to go through another level of authorisation then you can withdraw the money instantly. I'm not sure where to find it on paypal, I'm not sure if they don't send you a reminder email about at at some point either. But have a dig around in the account menu, the process involves paypal sending you a small amount ( a few pence) to your account then you verify the amount they send and your account is confirmed.
I've just had to go through an additional anti money laundering check because I reached a threshold this year!
OP SonyaD 03 Feb 2013
Thanks folks, seems like an utterly ridiculous set up!

Does anybody know if a person can cancel the paypal payment when pending (ie, can they receive my goods but then cancel the payment?)
 ayuplass 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:
heres a link on how to verify your account https://www.paypal.com/helpscr?cmd=_help&locale=en_GB&countrycode=G...

i think technically they could still withdraw the money but then you could go through the ebay complaints process. Also - the other party wouldn't know that they can do this as they wouldn't know that your account is unverified. Although obviously in this case they would..
OP SonyaD 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ayuplass: My paypal account was verified years ago. Think this is more related to me being a new ebay seller as folk have mentioned above.
 Niall 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:

The folks on the ebay discussion board will guide you through it better than I could:

Won't let me post a link, but look on Ebay at the top right under Community / Discussion boards / New to Selling.

HTH
 Carolyn 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Yes, it's because you're a new seller (or selling something particularly expensive).. As I understand it, eBay hold the money until the buyer has left positive feedback. I don't believe they can just reverse it at this point - they'd have to go through eBay dispute process.

It's as well to post things recorded/signed for, as if buyer claims it hasn't arrived, then eBay will side with them unless you can provide proof of delivery. TBH, I never actually do unless it's a fairly expensive item.
 KellyKettle 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:

You can use the funds that the buyer has sent to print out a paid for postage/courier label directly from ebay; as soon as you can enter a valid tracking number from royal mail, the rest of the money will clear.

It's also worth checking if the money has been put into your paypal account already... In spite of that warning, mine went directly in, and I was free to draw it out into my bank account directly.

If the buyer has paid via paypal you essentially already have the money, but it's in administrative limbo; Not sending the item because ebay won't release the cash is both rubbish for the buyer and could cause you to loose seller privileges or even your account with EBay if the buyer kicks up enough of a fuss.
 foxwood 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:

I do sell stuff through PP, but not on ebay, and with PP the buyer can pay you with an "eCheque" - that always results in an email about the payment taking 21 days to clear. Normally it only takes about a week to clear. There is no guarantee that it will clear though so wait and see !

When I get these I usually just send a polite email saying thank you and will release goods when PP says it has cleared.

I think the same thing happens if the buyer's account is not funded with an instant form of payment like a verified bank account.
 Radioactiveman 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Its because the OP is a new ebayer. You will get the money after 21 days or if sooner when they leave feedback. Once you get above a certain level you will be paid instantly.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/paypal-funds-availability

As always with ebay dont post uninsured,its only a matter of time before something disappears

good delivery service

http://www.parcel2go.com/?gclid=CKXR6MKmnLUCFYXLtAodxFEAGg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...