UKC

/ USS strike ballot results out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Offwidth - on 13 Apr 2018

Pretty much as I expected but no cause for celebration..... plenty of risks still around given past UUK and USS behaviour ( this was the third reorganisation in a a row supposed to make the scheme stable).

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/apr/13/uk-university-strike-action-to-end-after-staff-vote-to-accept-offer

https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/9439/UCU-members-vote-in-record-numbers-to-accept-proposals-in-pensions-dispute

Also the UCU left group seem determined to exact revenge from UCU exec and HEC as much as from employers... sad days.

http://uculeft.org/2018/04/ucu-a-unity-statement-for-democracy/ 

Rob Parsons on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> Also the UCU left group seem determined to exact revenge from UCU exec and HEC as much as from employers... sad days.

That's not how I read their statement. There are obvious concerns about the way this dispute has been conducted, so it is right to address them rather than sweep the issues under the carpet.

In addition, one hopes that the wider issues raised during the dispute are not simply forgotten about. In any event, things should not revert to merely 'business as usual.'

Post edited at 10:37
David Cohen - on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

At first glance I thought that this was to be about the missile strikes

But as for the UCU left, what did you expect, reason? Let's be honest this is short of a general strike their dream outcome.

Offwidth - on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Sure but that's pre vote... the activist lists are full of demands for the GS to resign for influencing the vote and accusations of HEC incorectly calling the re-ballot.

Not forgetting doesn't need to wait: UUK are already playing with potential loopholes. 

Post edited at 10:45
Rob Parsons on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to David Cohen:

That's a stupid comment. There are genuine and obvious issues regarding the conduct of the dispute to be discussed.

David Cohen - on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Indeed, but are you disputing that the Left UCU want to have a proper 'fight'?

In reply to David Cohen:

I have many problems with UCU Left but would dispute that as being universal in the group. I would agree that for the trot faction, that effectively defined policy for UCU Left when I was heavilly involved in UCU nationally: the SWP are revolutionary activists and its dumb to say otherwise.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

I'm not so sure there is. I think power games are being played... Sally was elected on improving direct member communication from the centre. UCU Left don't like that as they have a power base in old Universities only in committee structures where others can't be bothered to stand or have got sick to death of arguing with them. There is no way that any UCU Left dominated commitee is representative of their UCU members in any pre 92 institution. I remember in a previous dispute hearing UCU Left branch rep after branch rep saying their branch membership was solidly behind them and seeing branch ballot  results of as low as 20% with none being over 50% (Goldsmiths being closest). This means UCU Congress is always rather fraught as UCU Left has much more weight than in the elected NEC/HEC as nearly everyone there is a committee rep.

Public complaints to the press about Sally etc are a rallying call to encourage the militant line that damage the union and its public image and have UUK rubbing their hands with glee. The way to change leadership is in democratic elections;  the last UCU Left candidate up against Sally was roundly beaten. The Higher Education reps (HEC in NEC) are also voted in by the full membership (although normally only about 20% bother to vote so even there UCU Left are overrepresented.. activists are hardly not going to be bothered to vote but politically moderate ordinary members often dont). 

Anyway, having being scarred from previous factional wars in UCU it was nice while it lasted to see everyone fighting on the same side. Striking members should certainly be proud of what they acheived already but must remain watchful.

Post edited at 12:09
Bobling - on 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> Pretty much as I expected but no cause for celebration..... 

Unless you are a current finalist!  Our finalists were starting to wonder about whether they would graduate or not in summer so they at least are happy.

Offwidth - on 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Bobling:

My point was it's not over yet this academic year. If UUK still keep messing around with what was agreed, strikes might be back on this summer. This is last thing most sensible folk want, but remember, if it happens, exactly who turned a settlement back into a dispute. The same sadly applies to the finalists next year. This isn't the usual dispute with only strong UCU Left support: all aspects of UCU will be back on board if UUK, USS or tPR don't play fair. The sensible side of UCU and an increasing number (but still a minority) of USS institution VC's get this, but its a long way to go before everything is settled.

Post edited at 00:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.