UKC

/ UTMB - Iain Ridgway - come on!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dinkypen - on 29 Aug 2009
Just been catching up with the progress of the Ultra Trail of Mont Blanc which is currently ongoing. For the un-initiated, this ultra is 166 km long and takes in 9 400 m of ascent (!!!!!!!). Participants have a max of 46 hrs in which to complete it. Over 2000 people are participating this year. Our very own Iain Ridgway is currently in 59th place, having been running (mostly) for nearly 26 hours. He has less than 20 km to go in order to complete the race. Feckin' awesome efort! Come on Iain!

(http://utmb.livetrail.net/coureurentete.php and type Iain Ridgway into the box for a near enough live status)
DougG - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

> For the un-initiated, this ultra is 166 km long and takes in 9400 m of ascent (!!!!!!!).

Hells Bells. I have just been for a 5 mile run and I'm feeling shagged.

Best of Luck Iain!
Mooncat - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Oh for the fitness, energy and knees to do that.

great effort Iain.
Liam M - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen: I saw that earlier - he's been slowly creeping up the positions since the start. Impressive stuff. His other half's not doing too bad either, 7th female in the TDS and 82nd overall. Go on the two of them!
morbh - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:
Wow!

I'm not sure what else to say, apart from "C'mon Iain!" (I hope he can subliminally pick up these goodwill messages.)
interdit - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

the man's not normal ;o)

crossing fingers for no injuries or blisters etc and hope he can keep reeling in those in front of him.
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to dinkypen) I saw that earlier - he's been slowly creeping up the positions since the start. Impressive stuff. His other half's not doing too bad either, 7th female in the TDS and 82nd overall. Go on the two of them!

What a team, eh! From reading Sarah's blog, she seems to have been struggling with her health and fitness for the past 12 months, so she must be having a cracking run this w/e. I look forward to seeing her photos and report in the blog next week :-D
Mick's Daughter - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Awesome effort! I walked the TMB a few weeks ago and the mere thought of trying to run it in 46 hours makes my knees hurt.
Ridge - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to morbh:
> (In reply to dinkypen)
> Wow!
>
> I'm not sure what else to say, apart from "C'mon Iain!" (I hope he can subliminally pick up these goodwill messages.)

Subliminally seconded. C'mon Iain!
He's only got another 10km to go. He's going to complete in under 24 hrs!
Liam M - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen: If you look at the details of the section he's currently on, it suggests it climbs 4500m in 7.5k. That's just insane - there are E-grade slabs less steep than that! 8-0
In reply to dinkypen:

He reached La Tête aux Vents in 27 hrs 43 and should reach La Flégere in the next 15-20 mins. Then its the final downhill stretch into Cham. Stirling work!
In reply to Liam M:

Where are you getting that info??! Here is the course profile http://www.ultratrailmb.com/page.php?page=profil - all downhill now
In reply to Mick's Daughter:

Aye, thanks Louisa, typo when I typed 24 hrs .... I meant 30 hrs!!
Liam M - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen: Above each time checkpoint, if you click the title of it, it tells you how far from the start, the previous checkpoint, and the ascent for each of them.
Liam M - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to Liam M: Though my French isn't that great, so I could be entirely misreading it
In reply to Liam M:

I have to say, I was a bit confused too. No part of the course goes above 2500m so there can't be a straight climb of 4500m. The whole course has a total altitude change of 9400m +/- so he must have done all 9400m of his height gain by now.
In reply to Liam M:

I see what you mean- something somewhat awry there, methinks!!!
Liam M - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to Mick's Daughter: I don't think it's straight climbs, but rather the integrated ascent between checkpoints, but as I say, I could be entirely mistranslating it
In reply to Liam M:

Just had another look at that leg you were talking about. I think that the height gain since Vallorcine may have been a fat finger because that would be half the height gain of the whole course in one leg.
In reply to Liam M:

No, they have cocked up. On the header for his last checkpoint it says "Dénivelé positif depuis Vallorcine : 4475 m" - 4475m of ascent since Vallorcine (which was 7.5km back). That is patently wrong!
jon on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

I went to see Iain come into Vallorcine. Looked very strong. Showing an overall 58th at the moment.
jon on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to jon:

... make that 57th. Due into Cham at 23:41. All downhill now. Brilliant!
In reply to jon:

You should hook up with Louisa and Tobs at the finish line and give him a hero's welcome!
Liam M - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen: Yep, looking at the full profile, it does seem like an error. I should learn to check these things are reasonable before I go quoting them!
sutty on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Unlikely to improve his position, 7 minutes behind person in front and 9 in front of next person.

Doing well isn't he?

Anyone got his tel no to text him after the event?
In reply to sutty: Looks like he got past a few people on the last leg 53rd overall.

A fantastic effort Iain! An inspiration to us all.
sutty on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Showing same time as person in front, or am I reading it wrong?
Bingly Bong on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to Mark Reeves: I'm knackered just reading this thread about it!

Well done Iain!!

Whoop Whoop!!

:oD
Ssshhh - on 29 Aug 2009
Good effort indeed to Iain but did anyone else notice that Kilian won by over an hour - completely untouchable!
David Hooper - on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Just to add my cheering at the virtual finish line.

Ive walked the TMB a good few times and I really couldnt imagine this physical feat.

Good work fella ;o)
Padraig on 29 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:
Well done Iain!
I'd also like to say well done to my mate Topher.
P
Nick Smith - Climbers - on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to Padraig: Well done Iain! Very inspiring for us mere mortals
Jon Bracey - on 30 Aug 2009
Another brilliant performance from Al Powell (Pudsey And Bramley AC) finishing 3rd in the Traces des Ducs. No bad considering he's been working hard all summer in the Alps as a guide- ie not exactly well rested!
Enty - on 30 Aug 2009
Incredible run Iain!

Well done mate.

Enty
Horse on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Top effort Iain, can't even imagine walking for that long.

jon on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Brilliant Iain! 29:16.

And of course to Sara in the TDS, 91st, 19:55.
jon on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to Ssshhh:
> Good effort indeed to Iain but did anyone else notice that Kilian won by over an hour - completely untouchable!

Yes, I went over yesterday afternoon and took a photo of him coming up from Vallorcine, just before 14:00. He didn't look tired or even look like he was trying. Funnily enough I did the same thing a couple of years ago - one of the two years running when Marco Olmo won it. He was also and hour ahead of the second person. He was 59 years old that year!!! This year he sadly dropped out in les Contamines.

Rob Naylor - on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Bloody well done Iain!!!
lithos on 30 Aug 2009

woooooooo yay

nice one Iain and Sarah,
MissAssister - on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

I tried to stay awake but couldn't, let alone run the bloody thing...well done Iain!!
Mike Peacock on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen: Woo, congratulations to the both of them! Good stuff!
PeterM - on 30 Aug 2009

Just brilliant! A fantastic effort by them both.
Mick's Daughter - on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to Ssshhh:
> Good effort indeed to Iain but did anyone else notice that Kilian won by over an hour - completely untouchable!

And he didn't look at all tired when he crossed the finish line. That guy is super-human!

Fantastic achievement Iain, well done!

jon on 30 Aug 2009

The folk who are coming in now deserve respect as well - they've been going fo 44 hours, now!
Carpe Diem - on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Nice one Mr R !!
Tobias at Home - on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Mick's Daughter)
>
> The folk who are coming in now deserve respect as well - they've been going fo 44 hours, now!

you're not wrong there - not taking away from the superhuman efforts of those who get round in sub-30hrs of course but there's a fair amount of excess suffering endured by those coming in now.
Tall Clare - on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

inspiring stuff Iain!
Daithi O Murchu on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

good on yer Ian

enjoy a wee rest
In reply to jon:

Absolutely. Total respect to all the runners this weekend in all the events. We were only saying this morning that the people who finish at the end have actually run more of an endurance event. It must be bad enough running through one night but you'd really have to pull something out of the bag to get through a second.
jon on 30 Aug 2009

Yes, I think the second night is a killer. The lack of sleep really plays tricks on you. Last year, seeing Hilary off at the Col des Montets in the middle of the second night - so only(!) Flegere to go - another runner asked us which way was it to the Col de la Seigne!!! A friend of ours fell asleep at Champex, then woke up and was convinced he was in Chamonix and had finished. Imagine his dismay! I know of another guy who, stumbling down the forest track into Vallorcine, came to a drainage channel across the road and in his headlamp beam thought it was the edge of a cliff...
In reply to jon:

I hadn't even thought about those sorts of side effects of sleep deprivation. The tiredness and loneliness or running in the dark two nights in a row was enough to put me off! I have to say that watching the CCC finishers coming in, I was quite inspired but with my current injury there's no chance to get a qualifier in by the end of the year. Maybe 2011...
In reply to jon: two years ago our friend was relaxing on the sofa having finished and mid sentence his eyes rolled back into his forehead and he fell into the most disgusting eyes-open sleep 8-)

that's proper exhaustion...i think he'd "only" taken 27hrs as well...

i seem to remember quite a few people having a snooze at champex when i did the ccc which, to be honest, seemed a bit overkill for that event.

what i can't understand is how people are still wandering around town once they've completed it. i'd have thought a long bath, lie down in the hotel room/apartment/tent would be in order!
jon on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to Tobias at Home:

Well done on the ccc Tobias, though belated. I must say running (well...) from Vallorcine to the Col des Montets in the middle of the night, just about killed me. Mind you it was MY second night as well. People just don't realise how hard it is to be a supporter sometimes...
jon on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to jon:

Here's Kilian strolling through Vallorcine, an hour ahead of anyone else, yesterday. Doesn't look like he's been going for 19 hours, does it! So excited I chopped his legs off (which frankly he needs if anyone else is going to stand a chance in the future...)

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.php?id=123034
In reply to jon: i thought people were supposed to get better at endurance events as they got older....he's going to be winning it for the next 20yrs!
Liam M - on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to Tobias at Home: They'll have to start introducing penalty weight based on previous performance. A traditional pair of diving boots should balance it up!
In reply to Liam M: Apparently he was raised in a mountain refuge at 2000m and had to run down to school every day
jon on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to Liam M:

You might well be joking, but last year he was penalised for not carrying a rucsac - he claimed he was carrying everything he was required to in a bum-bag. The organisers added 15 mins (I believe) to his time - but he still won!
petestack - on 30 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Missed this earlier because I don't normally read Off Belay and The Pub anymore, but well done Iain and Sarah (and all the West Highland Way runners taking part). Sounds like Iain and George Cairns (from Fort William, and 4th in WHW 2009) were well matched on this occasion, so expecting great things when you get back on the WHW, Iain!
fimm on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Well done Iain and Sarah!
Sandrine - on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

Well done to Iain and Sarah! An impressive running feast!

Last time I went to France, the sportiest of my friends were telling me about "trail" which is translated as "fell running" here (?) and how fashionable it is now. There seems to be two types of races: the serious ones, like the UTMB, and the less serious ones where the stops are used to gorge on rosé wine and saucissons whilst being disguised and say roped up as 1900 mountaineers!

I have no knowledge of fell running in the UK. How popular is it?
Banned User 77 - on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to Sandrine: Cheers all, thanks for the support, that's a massive race. Just nipped in to a cafe, but I'll write a report at some point. It's just so big it's hard to comprehend. Finished with the guy just ahead of me, we ran in together after spending most of the last 15 hrs together but unable to talk much due to the language barrier. Good to have company though.

I've gone from never again, to looking at the spilts working out where to take a few hours off..

control freak on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to IainRUK: Fantastic effort Iain, congratulations! Looking forward to a) the race reports and b) your plans for a rematch ;)
sutty on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

>I've gone from never again, to looking at the spilts working out where to take a few hours off

Congratulations.

you masochist.
Tobias at Home - on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to IainRUK: Well done! Any aches this morning?
Dave B on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

Well done. Have good rest of your holiday!
Chris F - on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to IainRUK: Holy crap. I didn't know real people did stuff like this. Much respect.
Jimbo W on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

What an awesome effort Iain! Total inspiration! I thought some of the fitness at the Inferno triathlon was impressive, but thats mental....
Alyson - on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to IainRUK: Nice one Iain!

I can't help wondering whether you spend so much time racing against people capable of this sort of achievement, you don't realise how unthinkable it is to most other folk. I am not averse to running up and down the odd mountain and I couldn't contemplate it for a second. Congratulations to you and Sarah.
robdan - on 31 Aug 2009
In reply to IainRUK: Wow, well done, utmost respect. I have just come back from Cham after struggling to do a couple of decent rock routes. Obviously the place was awash with super fit people doing the Ultra. To finish in that time and that placing against the competition...amazing effort. Very inspiring, well done !
Doug on 01 Sep 2009
There's a short video on tvmountain.com - http://www.tvmountain.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=138&v...

Don't know if it shows Ian - no idea what he looks like !
winhill - on 01 Sep 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

> I've gone from never again, to looking at the spilts working out where to take a few hours off..

Well done, Iain, all the best for next year.
Henry Iddon - on 01 Sep 2009
In reply to dinkypen:

The link at the bottom of the list here is an interview before the race with womens winner Krissy Moehl.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=370377

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.