UKC

Van.....basic DIY conversion cost?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 10 Jul 2020

Sorry....I know there are lots of previous threads...

I'm just quickly trying to work out how much I can spend on a van as buying one that's been converted seems very expensive, even for DIY conversions.

Basically I'm thinking....spray foam, panelling, flooring and very basic seating/bedding and kitchen cupboards. No electrical stuff....no gas fitting etc

Could I do it myself for about £2k?

Reach>Talent 10 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Not planning on registration as a camper for the extra 10mph?  

I must have spent £300 on insulation so far and I haven't finished yet, mine is a long wheelbase high top though. £2k all in for an insulated box with a bed sounds about right. If you decide on fitting windows Vanpimps are good and their customer service has been great so far.

Rick Graham 10 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I got my Dispatch to stealth camper for £61.

£50 for self adhesive insulation. Its peeled  a bit on the roof, should have got the equivalent silvered foil for about £10 and used my own glue.

I have access to lots of timber buck shee, so allow £50 to £200.

Also had mattress , cushions so allow £ for that., check out futon mattresses .

The other £11 was for a wass set up so she did not let the midges in overnight, but I am not supposed to advertise that

Timmd 10 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Don't forget to include a hidden switch somewhere in the electrical system to stop it from being stolen, too. From Facebook there is speculation that a van thief has been recently let out again, there's been a sudden spike in camper vans being taken from outside people's homes around Sheffield.

Whatever the truth about the cause, a hidden switch seems like a good idea. Being obsessive (and the one to find we'd been burgled as a 10 year old) I'd probably include a second one somewhere else in the van.

Post edited at 17:03
In reply to abr1966:

Our conversion (slatted pull-out bed), some cupboards / worktop, gas cooker, sink, insulation and electrics was about £1500 and about 4 weeks' work.

BruceM 10 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I did what you want to a Transit Custom for a little over £2K 2 years ago.  Most of the expense was insulation and flooring/paneling/carpeting/screws/bolts etc.  I live in Scotland and spent a lot of effort on getting the core insulated/lined body right.  No spray foam though.  Just glued on foam, but loads of layers, then homemade plastic sealed Dacron-type batts as well.  Cosy.  Spend all your money on that stuff as you could get a way with anything for a bed platform and the rest.  You could improve stuff later.  My costs did however include an almost-full-sized bed, cabinet, toilet and everything else...  Good luck.  I love the result.  And outside it just looks like a plumber/builder's van.  Useful for parking up outside building sites near crags on the Costa Blanca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...