UKC

Vitam D supplements....small tablets/ capsules?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 12 Jan 2021

Any recommendations for a small sized supplement? My daughter sent me some but they are huge tablets....I'll never swallow them!!!

In reply to abr1966:

I use Holland and Barrett small tablets. They do different strengths depending on what your after.

In reply to abr1966:

Boots vit D tablets are tiny.

Hmmm... cant see the ones I bought last time I bought vitamin D. They seem to have gone 'upmarket'...

[edit] quick look in recycling bag suggests my last tablets were from Sainsbury's. 90 tablets, 25ug

Post edited at 14:39
 skog 12 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

> I'll never swallow them!!!

Sir, those are suppositories.

I've just been buying the 'nutribioticals' ones off Amazon (sorry). They're really small.

Ridge 12 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

“gallam1” is the UKC subject matter expert on Vitamin D, I'm sure he can help out.

Lankyman 12 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

We used to use a pill cutter to slice tablets in half for our old cat. They must be pretty cheap.

Sealwife 12 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Tesco own brand ones are very small.

Boots do a gummy, chewable, black currant flavour one, which is fairly palatable 

Niall_H 12 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I'll second Climbing Pieman - I use the Holland and Barrett ones, and they're very small

(Unlike the 20,000 iu ones I was prescribed last year - my metabolism is weird! - which were huge)

Edit to add - don't even approach that dose unless you have medical advice: it's way, way over the recommended max!

Post edited at 15:01
 robert-hutton 12 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Aldi they are very small.

Post edited at 15:20
 Hutson 12 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Holland and Barrett (and some supermarkets) also do a Vitamin D spray by a brand called BetterYou; you spray it under your tongue and removes the need for capsules completely. Tastes minty.

Dave Garnett 12 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Whatever happened to cod liver oil?  Or you could just drink some milk.

oldie 13 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

i think Lidl's and poss Wilkos also do small ones. But why not just grind/smash your big tablets and have with some food? I think cod liver oil is still used but in large capsules and the taste of uncapsulated is yuk (remember Roo and Kanga).

kathrync 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Hutson:

I use that too - it's great!

mattck 13 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Have you considered drops? These are good as they're also combined with K2 (something worth looking into if you regularly supplement with D) - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BG2Y4MK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9VX.Fb2AKHR48

In reply to Lankyman:

> We used to use a pill cutter to slice tablets in half for our old cat. They must be pretty cheap.

He doesn't want an old cat

colinakmc 13 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Try Holland & Barrett. Their 10 micro gram tabs are small.

mike123 13 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

boots 10mg. pretty small.

In reply to abr1966:

I use the spray by "better you" from holland and barrett or online.

OP abr1966 13 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Thanks everyone....ukc at its best!!

gallam1 13 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I like the raspberry flavoured version from either Tesco or Asda.  They are actually quite pleasant and a lot nicer than zinc.

Calvi 14 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

> Any recommendations for a small sized supplement? My daughter sent me some but they are huge tablets....I'll never swallow them!!!

Tesco do chewable ones.

David Cowley 14 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Been taking the boots 10ug abd they're tiny. With regards to vit D. Is the 10ug tablet more than enough required for an adult? From what I'm reaing it is. A family member dropped some 25ug strength in for me wuthout really knowing what they were buying but wasn't gonna before taking these thought it would be way over the top for what I need.

Tigger 14 Jan 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Naturesbest 1000iu or 2000iu D3 they're tiny tablets and a British made brand.

I work in a factory so have been taking D3 during the winter forna few years now, the ones I've mentioned come in 180 bottles, they're a really small gel calsuel about 1/3 the size of a paracetamol

Also I believe they're is no proven benefit to extremely high doese D3, and that it may infact lower bone density if i remember correctly.

Post edited at 18:39
In reply to David Cowley:

> With regards to vit D. Is the 10ug tablet more than enough required for an adult?

Depends why you’re taking it. The NHS publication https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/  says that (400 IU) is the daily dose for adults who choose to take it, with a max 4000 IU being noted. (Other health organisations recommend other levels and maximum).

For medical reasons, however, the dosage needed by some varies considerably. If in any doubt, and particularly if you think you maybe deficient, best consult your GP and get a blood test.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...