UKC

Vulture in the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 09 Jul 2020

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/tracking-down-the-peak-district-lammerg...

Apparently a bearded vulture has been spotted recently in the peak. I hope it steers clear of some of the grouse estates.

compost 09 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

wow!

Mark Bannan 09 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

> ...I hope it steers clear of some of the grouse estates.

Presumably you're worried for the poor bird's safety - I certainly don't want this magnificent bird gunned down by a bunch of hooray henry toffs!

john arran 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> Presumably you're worried for the poor bird's safety - I certainly don't want any bird gunned down by a bunch of hooray henry toffs!

FTFY

OP cragtyke 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Damn right, but I was thinking more of the danger of poisoning.

Tom Valentine 09 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Non- native species, my friend. Could be considered fair game........

David Riley 09 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

The vulture was reported over Coventry, heading for Leicester a few days ago.    Possibly acting on information received I thought.

Pekkie 09 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

It'll be interesting to see where it ends up for best feeding opportunities. A recently bolted limestone quarry?

climber34neil 09 Jul 2020
In reply to David Riley:

That's very socially irresponsible of it

GrahamD 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> Presumably you're worried for the poor bird's safety - I certainly don't want this magnificent bird gunned down by a bunch of hooray henry toffs!

Presumably you're ok with it being gunned down by someone else shooting  ?

Michael Hood 09 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Saw a pair in Val d'Isere years ago, they are huge.

cb294 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

We have been circled by four Bearded Vultures above Sion, saw quite a few near Grossglockner in Austria. Best, however, was the one passing just a couple meters below me while sport climbing in Crete. They are amazing, same wing span as Griffon Vultures but much more elegant, like a huge raven.

CB

mrphilipoldham 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Non-native but not unnatural. It’s believed to be the off spring of a reintroduced pair in the Alps that’s been exploring via Belgium and the Netherlands. Clearly prefers the grit to Chamonix! 

kristian Global Crag Moderator 09 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Interestingly it was spotted down Cressbrook. If there's Ravens at Ravensdale then there's already a buttress down that way with its name on.

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I admit to being a bit flippant but neither are grey squirrels or mink unnatural. 

Doug 09 Jul 2020
In reply to cb294:

I see them occasionally higher up our valley  & they nest in the adjacent valley (French Alps), a magnificent sight. My best view was in the Pyrenees several years ago when I was walking along a terrace between two bands of cliff. The bird passed by just below & some 10m away. Needless to say I didn't have a camera

john arran 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Doug:

We get them around here from time to time, although more commonly (i.e. most days) it's the smaller, griffon vultures we see from the house circling over the craggy hillside, usually in 2s or 3s but occasionally up to 10 at a time. Lately though there's been a golden eagle that has been cruising overhead quite often - a majestic sight!

mrphilipoldham 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

But they were introduced by human hand, was the point I was getting at. Whereas this is natural spread of its range. Much like the cattle egret which I think is increasingly making its home on our shores.

Post edited at 18:11
 Michael Hood 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Doug:

Being as their wingspan is about 3m, 10m away is pretty damn close, like "why's the sky gone dark" close.

cb294 09 Jul 2020

Exactly. In Austria, a couple of birds came from behind us, swooping low across the hillside. The first thing we realized was the shadow passing over us, like a cloud on a sunny day!

CB

Doug 09 Jul 2020
In reply to john arran:

Managed to make my sister (the real birdwatcher in the family) very jealous by phoning her to say that we were watching a group of griffon vultures from the kitchen window. Yet to add bearded vulture to the 'seen from home' list although that does include golden & short toed eagles.

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I think living on an island might have something to do with that, one being capable of flight and the other two not.

cb294 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Doug:

The dislike is mine, pure, unadulterated jealousy!

CB

Mark Bannan 13 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

> Damn right, but I was thinking more of the danger of poisoning.

Yikes - I forgot about that! You reminded me that some of the more adverse types of "land management" involve predator control (which hardly ever works anyway) by poisoning.

Mark Bannan 13 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Presumably you're ok with it being gunned down by someone else shooting  ?

I'm assuming that you mean a conservation officer with a tranquilliser dart.

Blunderbuss 14 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Anyone know roughly where this bird is at the moment? My son is into birds of prey and when I told him about this his jaw dropped.....was thinking of trying to spot it this Friday.

In reply to Blunderbuss:

Margery Hill this morning. Roosting around Abbey Brook. If you're a twitter user lots of up to date information. There are about 50 people up there today. 

Blunderbuss 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Don't use twitter but thanks for the info.

Does it move around a lot i.e. if I go to Margery Hill on Friday is there a good chance it'll have buggered off somewhere else by then?

In reply to Blunderbuss:

> Don't use twitter but thanks for the info.

> Does it move around a lot i.e. if I go to Margery Hill on Friday is there a good chance it'll have buggered off somewhere else by then?

Couldn't say. I'm following it on social media and not been up there. It's been there a while though so it seems settled. 

https://www.sbsg.org/sightings/recent-news

This is useful and some of the twitter links might work even if you don't subscribe to it.

Blunderbuss 14 Jul 2020

Thanks

sg 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

I imagine that if it's anywhere still around there will remain a huge associated throng of twitchers latched onto it somewhere in the vicinity. That's a great pic on the twitter link of them taken through a big telephoto from Stanage. Very jealous; hope you see it.

Michael Hood 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Might go and have a gander myself. Ideally you need to be into some kind of "twitcher" notification system (I'm not) which will be frequently updated with latest sightings for a bird of this significance. Twitter may suffice.

It's on the move - south. Cheshire/Congleton. 

Michael Hood 14 Jul 2020

Maybe just wandering around scoping places out. Thing is it can cover vast distances quickly if it wants to; across the Peak district in around 30 minutes I would reckon - unlike us it can do straight lines.

Blunderbuss 15 Jul 2020

It's back on Howden Moor according to the SBSG site....

LeeWood 16 Jul 2020

> Maybe just wandering around scoping places out. Thing is it can cover vast distances quickly if it wants to; across the Peak district in around 30 minutes I would reckon - unlike us it can do straight lines.

From dawn till dusk a vulture can not fly in straight lines - it's speed depends on good flying conditions. Vultures are too heavily built to flap their wings for more than seconds, they must climb circling in thermals. On the wrong day they can be 'grounded' - ie. obliged to hang out in a tree.

i'm amazed this bird has got so far already - and fear for it's safe return to a mountainous region. A lowland tree is not a good launching point for thermal access - and Britain can have summer days with low inversion cloud. It's outlook is compounded by the twitching brigade - if disturbed it could lose energy attempting to flap - hopefully they are all being sensible ?!

In addition it also has to land in order to feed - but it's kill would normally be on a mountain side with good launch. The smaller egyptian vulture is significantly more capable of getting up from a flat kill. 

Michael Hood 16 Jul 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Is bearded vulture as "restrained" flight wise as more normal bare necked vultures? (I know those can gorge themselves on carcasses until they're too heavy to fly.)

I seems that the wanderlust is a juvenile thing. Read recently about the isle of wight juvenile sea eagles turning up all over the place.

Hopefully it knows how to get back to its home mountains and will piss off once it's determined that there's no long term future for it in the UK (post Brexit 😁).

Mark Bannan 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> I'm assuming that you mean a conservation officer with a tranquilliser dart.

I mean in order to relocate the bird humanely to the Alps or Pyrenees.

Michael Hood 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> I mean in order to relocate the bird humanely to the Alps or Pyrenees.

If the bird hangs around much longer I suspect that's the only way it's going to get home.

Blunderbuss 16 Jul 2020

How would it even know which direction the alps are? 

LeeWood 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

I was with a french climbing friend today - fairly knowledgeable on vultures - says their range in one day is 40km. That I cannot confirm, but looking at the distrib maps - nearest 'home' is alps or pyrenees; it's seeming very unlikely that it strayed so far northwards autonomously  - even given a brisk S wind and high cloudbase.

So who and with what motive would someone have released a captive bird in territory so alien ??!

Doug 16 Jul 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

It didn't come straight from the Alps/Pyrenees, is wild not captive and had previously spent some time in Belgium - see https://markavery.info/2020/07/13/tim-melling-that-lammergeier/

Red Rover 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Doug:

This might be a daft question but why is it flying so far? What's it doing?

LeeWood 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Doug:

> It didn't come straight from the Alps/Pyrenees, is wild not captive and had previously spent some time in Belgium - see https://markavery.info/2020/07/13/tim-melling-that-lammergeier/

very interesting ! but that provokes deeper speculation; the hop to the channel islands is nothing but the channel there is 3x wider than Calais-Dover. from the aeronautic perspective getting enough height to cross the channel is remarkable - remembering that there are no thermals over water - and it must do it on a glide ! 

The channel is 36km at Calais Dover and approx 108km at Cherbourg.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Jul 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

> I was with a french climbing friend today - fairly knowledgeable on vultures - says their range in one day is 40km. That I cannot confirm, but looking at the distrib maps - nearest 'home' is alps or pyrenees; it's seeming very unlikely that it strayed so far northwards autonomously  - even given a brisk S wind and high cloudbase.

How about 170km in thee hours?

https://www.4vultures.org/extraordinary-flight-of-griffon-vulture-kvarner/

Chris

Post edited at 20:32
 Michael Hood 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

> How would it even know which direction the alps are? 

Good map memory - hopefully

LeeWood 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> How about 170km in three hours?

Thanks for posting this - great story! The young and inexperienced vulture was 1st rescued after a fall into water - then made his comeback with this record breaking flight - incl 80km over water ! he must have had a good tailwind.

I hope the news on our UK vagrant continues to reassure us of safe adventure. 

LeeWood 17 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Latest birdguides news adds confusion to the story - see comments below article !

Who / which is Pierro - said to be GPS tagged ???

https://www.birdguides.com/news/origin-of-wandering-bearded-vulture-reveale...

This earlier article has good pictures showing the distinctive damaged tail of the UK visitor

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/rare-birds/rarity-finders-bearded-vultu...

Post edited at 08:43
 Michael Hood 17 Jul 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

I think Pierro was a different/earlier wandering youf.

The damaged tail - there are photos from earlier this year from the continent that show the same bird with complete tail - small identifying features in the feathers allow a +ve id match. I thought first of all that maybe the tail was due to moulting but I think this bird's a bit too young for that.

Billhook 17 Jul 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

I read that it has also been spotted driving off a couple of ravens which were feeding on a dead sheep and was seen to swallow the already picked clean bones whole!  So it can obviously feed and take off well enough. 

Michael Hood 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Billhook:

Stomach dissolves the bones because ph is apparantly 1! That's concentrated hydrochloric acid levels.

Michael Hood 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Interestingly it's still got all its tail feathers in those photos - wonder what happened.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...