UKC

Waiting at Manchester Airport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bojo 13 May 2022

I've got a flight later this month at 08:00 from Manchester with British Airways.

I know this might be a bit weird but I've been offered a lift (completely free of charge) to Manchester Airport. The problem is that the driver is continuing to an onward destination and his schedule means that he can't realistically drop me off any later than about 1 in the morning.

The lift is too good an opportunity to miss but of course it means hanging around presumably until about 6 waiting for the check in to open. Any UKCers got any ideas about the best strategy for this?

John Ww 13 May 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Yep, I’ve been there and done that, and although it’s boring, it’s not a problem to find somewhere quiet and relatively comfy to get your head down. Plus the fact that at the moment - it’s probably the ideal time to get there!

Rob Parsons 13 May 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Take a sufficient quantity of booze. And a sleeping bag.

OP Bojo 13 May 2022

Come to think of it I did have a SIX  hour stop over in Delhi some years ago and it wasn't unpleasant. I bought access to an executive lounge and had a shower, full meal and a couple of ginormous glasses of cognac

ExiledScot 13 May 2022
In reply to Bojo:

If they won't let you doss in the terminal area, try above railway station, or the walk way to the radisson. Failing that the car hire area is heated, lit and open 24hrs. 

OP Bojo 13 May 2022

I suppose ideally I need to get "airside" asap but that depends on when check in opens?

chris_r 13 May 2022
In reply to Bojo:

If your budget permits, book into the exec lounge. It's usually about £50 but gives you free food and somewhere quiet and comfy to sit.

In reply to Bojo:

> but of course it means hanging around presumably until about 6 waiting for the check in to open

At Manchester, you'll probably need 6 hours to get through security.

Tyler 13 May 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Don’t forget whoever drops you off will still need to pay a fee (~£3) just for doing that. 

Toerag 13 May 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

> At Manchester, you'll probably need 6 hours to get through security.

^^This.  I'm hearing a lot of bad things about it recently.  Aside from a lack of staff, and a lack of experienced staff (as they've found other jobs during lockdowns), there's also the fact that people have forgotten how to fly, and huge numbers of them are carrying sharp things or liquids which causes lots of checking.

neilh 14 May 2022
In reply to Toerag:

I have flown in and out of Manchester a few times in the last couple of weeks. It’s fine on most days. Ignore the press reports.  It was bad in Feb , but has improved alot. 

Dublin is meant to be bad by the way. 

Post edited at 06:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...