UKC

Water filter - which one, if any?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 27 Apr 2010
Was looking at maybe buying a water filter for when we go travelling but want small and cheapish. Was looking at the Katadyn Vario but someone suggested a MSR miniworks.
Any recommendations? I want one that will make water completely safe without having to use puritabs or anything.
Biggest issue is that for the price of a Katadyn filter I could prob buy thye whole Buxton water company.
Cheers
Frank
 Welsh Kate 27 Apr 2010
In reply to Frankie boy:
Safe water, no chemicals, not particularly expensive - Drinksafe products here:
http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php

I used to use the Travel Tap bottle (which worked fine, but found a bit tough to squeeze large quantities of water through), but moved on to an in-line filter which I use with my Source bladder, but it comes with a tap fitment too. I've found this to be excellent.
OP Frankie boy 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Welsh Kate:
THanks, I'll have a look at those.
Did look at Katadyn ones but just wondering how much of that you're paying for the name like so many other ex-climbing and now high street brands.
These look like they could be ideal though.
 Toerag 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Frankie boy: I have a miniworks and it seems to work well - it certainly screens out any algae in the water, and I haven't been ill.
In reply to Frankie boy:

When you say "travelling" I assume you mean to foreign climes?

I've used the Steripen (there was a review on here a couple of years ago so do a search) which uses UV to zap the nasties. It doesn't remove particulates though so you may need a physical filter as well if the water is particularly turbid.

In this country, I've never bothered, in fact our house supply is untreated. I find a lot of tap water undrinkable, unpalatable may be a better word, even though it's "safe".

ALC
 220bpm 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Frankie boy: I've got an MSR one, but slightly bigger than the miniworks as I drink a lot! Got it after being poisoned once down by Glen Etive, albeit thats the only time its happened in twenty odd years of wandering thru the hills.
Its been bombproof and not too much of a hassle to use. Lost a rubber ring seal on Ben Alder but sourcing a replacement was easy.
Not cheap likes, but real good long lasting piece of kit
 mrchewy 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Frankie boy: Got Travel-tap and it's great - they do an inline filter for a bladder to which might be handier for you or not. Good company to deal with.
 MJH 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Frankie boy: A similar alternative to the Travel tap is the Seychelles water filters: http://www.seychelle.com/prodlist.php?id=100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...