UKC

wearing your climbing harness in tesco`s !!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
skarabrae 11 Mar 2013
following on from the wearing of outdoor gear all the time thread.
sat evening at tesco`s carpark in aviemore a group of "geofreys" got out of their car with their climbing harnesses ON! & with various collections of shiney dangly stuff attached!! now this is bad enough, but one of the group even went shopping in his harness, why?? complete fecking tools!!!

rant over.
 Radioactiveman 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

What's a Geofrey ?
 winhill 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Sounds reasonable, they may have been desperate for some fags.
 MG 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae: I've seen it on the train near Chamonix - does that win?
 xplorer 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Another example of a pointless thread. Did you say anything at the time.......... No you didnt
skarabrae 11 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: yes i did!
skarabrae 11 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: i screamed abuse at them, demanded an explanation why & then demanded there instant removal!
 xplorer 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Haha. Yea you did
skarabrae 11 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: i did, scouts honour, dib dib an all that!
 Ridge 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Maybe they were lost and thought they were in Keswick?
 xplorer 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Ok ok I believe you. What was his response.

Your bloody mental!
Wiley Coyote2 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:
Maybe they were going to practise placing ice screws in the freezer cabinet?
skarabrae 11 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: ok I lied, I said feck all, just ranted in the car with my pals, but......if they'd been under 5ft if have given them a right ear bashing
 Ramblin dave 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:
I've made it as far as the Outside cafe in Hathersage before, but there the process was: get caught in sudden downpour while still wearing harness, put on waterproof jacket and trousers, head back to the car, not fancy getting out of waterproofs in continuing downpour so getting into the car wearing them, drive into town, head into cafe for a cuppa, take of waterproofs, notice harness, take off harness quickly while feeling a bit silly.
 Enty 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Got to admit it would be quite amusing to see.

E
 xplorer 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Don't be like that I'm a midget
 BigHell 11 Mar 2013
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to skarabrae) I've seen it on the train near Chamonix - does that win?

guilty !
 Andy Say 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

> sat evening at tesco`s carpark in aviemore a group of "geofreys" got out of their car with their climbing harnesses ON!

That is just a sheer lack of class!

Tesco! Now, Waitrose..........
 davy_boy 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:
> (In reply to skarabrae)
>
> What's a Geofrey ?

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6095505/jeffrey-and-geoffrey-plan-their-hal...
 coinneach 11 Mar 2013
In reply to davy_boy:

Similar situation once in The Clachaig.

Outdoor Instructor enters bar and the barman looks over his head and says

" are this lot with you ?"

OI looks back to see his clients still festooned in harnesses, slings, gear etc.

Mutters "Fuksake" under his breath and says............

"It's OK lads.................................you're safe"
 Jonathan Emett 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:
I've probably worn my harness in tesco on portland, while travelling from the crags on one side of the island to the other.

However, I don't use apostrophes inappropriately, so I guess we are even.
 Blizzard 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Great thread. Love it. We need more laughs like this to distract us from all the media rubbish that can consume us all. ( well, it consumes me and makes me depressed)
 mcdougal 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

No harnesses in Tesco but I've seen chalk bags being worn in Longton (about a mile from AW Stoke).
 DaveHK 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Jonathan Emett:
> I've probably worn my harness in tesco on portland, while travelling from the crags on one side of the island to the other.
>
> However, I don't use apostrophes inappropriately, so I guess we are even.

Poor punctuation is small beer in comparison with admitting to wearing your harness in Tesco on Portland. Please note correct use of capitalisation for Tesco and Portland...

Charlie Noakes 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

On a recent uni climbing trip one of the group decided to wear his new climbing shoes to the pub that night, said he was 'just wearing them in'. Not seen anything quite like it... smart jeans, nice shirt and a pair of red chilis sausilitos!
 Tom Last 11 Mar 2013
In reply to coinneach:
> (In reply to davy_boy)
>
>
> "It's OK lads.................................you're safe"

That's fantastic
 Tom Last 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Ridge:
>
> Maybe they were lost and thought they were in Keswick?

Very good
 Neil Williams 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Charlie Noakes:

I did that once, ages ago, when everyone left the wall for the pub way too quickly for me to change my shoes.

Neil
 richprideaux 11 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

I won the "Plank of the Year" award with the team one year for wearing my harness to the pub after a training session.

In my defence, I had been packing away gear at the crag later than most, and it was quite close t last orders and I was in a rush...
 bouldery bits 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

I always wear a harness to tesco. Just in case...

There's an (ab)seil on!

Pun.
ice.solo 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

I wore a wetsuit into a 7-11 once.
 Lantys Tarn 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

not climbing gear, but on a flight out of Geneva a few weeks ago a guy was sat in departures wearing his skiing helmet, and also came onto the plane wearing with his helmet on his head, oblivious to the laughs and looks that followed him!

Tool!
 Alex Slipchuk 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae: big deal, I wore a stockings in a post office, well quite a few times actually. I find you get better/faster service....
 Philip 12 Mar 2013
In reply to The Big Man:

In chamonix I saw a man carrying a single crampon in the evening out drinking in a group. I could only think it was the smallest thing he thought he could carry to show off that he was a climber.
 xplorer 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Philip:

I'm pretty sure he would have lost it and someone returned it to him during his evening.

Pretty retarded this thread
skarabrae 12 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: you seem very defensive, it wasn't you in Tesco was it ?
 BigBrother 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn: Baggage limits
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Philip)
>
> Pretty retarded this thread

What a thoroughly unpleasant thing to say. Grow up.
Not everything needs to have a serious point.

gribble 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

There's a few too many times I've got back into the car after an evening's soloing and achieved the white cloud of shame. Must remember to take the chalkbag off...
 Puppythedog 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae: I wear all of my trad rack whenever I am not at work do that everyone knows that I am a cool adventurer type. I used to just wear the outdoor clothes but now everyone wears them so I gradually added more and more. It's surprising how many people ask you, with awe, if you are a climber? then what have you climbed. At this point I bring out a picture of me on the Old Man Of Hoy, sign it and leave them happy people.
skarabrae 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae: ok, maybe im being a bit harsh on these bunch of spanners, prerhaps they`d drew inspiration from this:- youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M&
& where planning a first ascent of aviemore high street.
 GrahamD 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

I'm sure you'll feel just as self righteous when your doing your harness up in a blizzard with freezing fingers whilst the geoffries hop on the route ahead of you
skarabrae 12 Mar 2013
In reply to GrahamD: ha ha,too true, it wont be the first time
 Ramblin dave 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:
>
> not climbing gear, but on a flight out of Geneva a few weeks ago a guy was sat in departures wearing his skiing helmet, and also came onto the plane wearing with his helmet on his head, oblivious to the laughs and looks that followed him!
>
> Tool!

Two words: baggage allowance.
 Cú Chullain 12 Mar 2013
I have kept my harness on while nipping between crags in the car and probably have been guilty in the past of making an unscheduled munchies stop on the way while still in said harness.

Anyway, muppets who rock up to the pub still wearing their gear in a ‘look at me’ kind of statement deserve to have the piss taken out of them. Indeed I remember on one occasion in Llandudno a group of young lads strolled into the Queen Vic pub after climbing on the Orme and while sitting on a high bar stool another punter took the chance to tie one of his stupidly long slings around the legs of the chair which had the desired effect of making him look like a right pratt when he went to take a pee.
 Banned User 77 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain: I never got footballers or rugby players who drunk in their kit in the pub.. the worst seemed to be Uni lot..

Ok you want a drink.. but that's what shower beers are for.. an hour getting ready, having shower, beer, used to be much better in the old baths, get changed, look respectable.. then go out..

It's just look at me..
Pinged 12 Mar 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Shower beers!...The foundation stone of any good night out.

Back on topic...Hathersage seems to be THE place to wear climbing/alpine gear whilst eating breakfast in the cafe in Outside.

I've seen salopettes, bright yellow winter boots, harnesses, arctic standard down jackets etc. Normally worn by portly middle-aged men who finish their 10 item breakfast, nip to Spar for the Daily Mail and some wind-eze then go home and watch Cadfael on G.O.L.D
 Cú Chullain 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Pinged:

".............then go home and watch Cadfael on G.O.L.D"

And what is wrong with this activity?

Cú Chullain 12 Mar 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Yep, we have a beer rotor down the rugby club, if its your turn you buy a slab of beers and a bag of ice and we put them both in a big bucket before hte game. Lovelly chilled post match beers
 Lord_ash2000 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae: I was wondering around a Tesco's in north Wales for a while before realising I still had my chalk bag on once.
 GrahamD 12 Mar 2013
In reply to gribble:

> There's a few too many times I've got back into the car after an evening's soloing and achieved the white cloud of shame. Must remember to take the chalkbag off...

That chalk bag 'bunny tail' leaning against the bar is a particularly good look !

In reply to Lantys Tarn: flight from Edinburgh to Geneva last summer: mostly well-dressed holiday makers and American tourists, one row taken over by guys in goretex pants, outer shells and yeti gaiters over their B3 boots. Thankful that they don't let you past security with ice axs and crampons anymore. One justification for this crossed my mind - knowing EasyJet luggage restrictions, maybe they were just trying to save space? I've done that after all, smuggled a stereo system on board a couple of years ago to save myself an oversized luggage fee... so who knows.
 Cuthbert 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Definite Geoffreys. Jeffreys are purer and unaware of their jeffreyness but this was clear a group of Geoffreys as they consciously make effort to advertise their extreme mountain ways. I remember when I worked in Nevis Sport in FW quite a few came into the shop fully geared up.
 Rubbishy 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

Surely the uber Jeffrey, is the one who wears a rucsac on the Tube, with the chest and waist straps fastened, and a large screwgate hanging off the back - you know, just in case.

probably got a Sigg bottle in a side pouch as well.
 tspoon1981 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae: This reminded me of a article from a while back.

“You make sure that rope is on the outside of your pack when we get to the parking lot.”

What does this mean? It means the guy wanted everyone at the trailhead, and in the parking lot, to know that he and his pals had just done an, ooh-aah, technical climbing route on Longs Peak — not like all the other suckers who had just hiked up and done the 3rd-class Keyhole Route. No, this group of men was special. They had used ropes. Like the one that was going to be on the outside of Lee’s pack when they strolled off the trail, so they could impress everyone in the parking lot.

http://semi-rad.com/2011/05/its-ok-to-put-it-in-your-backpack/
 Camm 12 Mar 2013
In reply to island_explorer:
I've done the same but only because everything I took with me out of the UK would have to be carried when I climbed, so I sure as hell wasn't going to carry another pair of shoes, I thought about buying a pair of shoes to through away but we were on the baggage limit anyway. I had to use a dry sack as carry on and fill that up aswell!
New POD 12 Mar 2013
In reply to skarabrae:

I can't get over the fact that people shop in Tesco.

Even North Wales has a Waitrose near bangor. (just the other side of the old bridge)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...