UKC

Weird Internet issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

We are having problems with our internet, when we run a speed test it comes up OK like 30 mb/s download 10mb/s upload. But on number of different devices pages seem to load slowly and a number of apps aren't working at all.... but then work if i go outside and use data and tethering?

Is this just a capacity issue?

freeflyer 05 Apr 2020
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Could be a number of things. Probably the first thing I'd look at would be a Wifi channel analyser to see if there's any merit in changing to a different channel. I'm assuming you're trying all the devices in the same place in the house (ideally next to the router) to rule out coverage issues. If it was capacity I'd expect multiple speed tests to reflect it; try different times of day to test your theory. Confiscate other household devices while doing your testing.

HTH

In reply to freeflyer:

Thanks will do that.

*Google's Wi-Fi channel analyser* .

Will do some tests at different times today too.

Dark-Cloud 06 Apr 2020

What ISP and which router do you have ?

Toerag 06 Apr 2020

It may be that the app's / websites protocols or ports are being throttled i.e. facebook bandwidth is restricted by your ISP to prevent the whole system collapsing.  However, demand isn't any higher than peak, it's just busy all day long.  What does Downdetector say for the relevant period?

Mick r 07 Apr 2020

ISP's host the speed test servers in their data centres, before the uplink to their tier 1 internet providers. This uplink is where congestion would occur, so you can get good speed test results but your browsing experience would be poor.  If you use the Ookla speed test app, you can chose which server to test from. It will default to your closest ( the one hosted by you isp), so select one in Germany or somewhere to get a better idea of how your ISP is performing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...