UKC

Welcome Back; The Green Card

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krikoman 05 Mar 2019

Just had a message from my car insurance, if I'm taking my car out of the country after 29th March, they need 14 days notice too.

Lovely

subtle 05 Mar 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Aw, I thought they were making a repeat of the 90's classic film - you had my hopes up there

Lusk 05 Mar 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Smart insurance company predicting 'No deal' will happen.

Ciro 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> Smart insurance company predicting 'No deal' will happen.

Alternatively, stupid government refusing to legislate to rule it out, ensuring that everyone has to make contingency plans?

Would you prefer they waited till deadline day, then if we did crash out said "sorry, you won't be able to go on holiday for 14 days"?

arch 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ciro:

> Alternatively, stupid government refusing to legislate to rule it out, ensuring that everyone has to make contingency plans?

> Would you prefer they waited till deadline day, then if we did crash out said "sorry, you won't be able to go on holiday for 14 days"?

They could always stay in Britain for their holidays. 

Padraig 05 Mar 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> Just had a message from my car insurance, if I'm taking my car out of the country after 29th March, they need 14 days notice too.

> Lovely

Too what??

gethin_allen 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Padraig:

I had a similar message a few days ago.

The part I found entertaining was that Tesco Bank gave me the option of either getting one sent in the post or getting one sent to me by e-mail which I would have to print out "ON GREEN CARD"!

Is the colour of the card really that important? would the same information suddenly cease to make sense or be legible if it were printed on white paper?

neilh 05 Mar 2019
In reply to gethin_allen:

That legall is the colour .Somyes it does matter.

neilh 05 Mar 2019

That legall is the colour .So yes it does matter.

Padraig 05 Mar 2019

Ah ok the "too" confused me.............DOHH!!!

jimtitt 05 Mar 2019
In reply to krikoman:

And customs carnets and bank guarantees and all that wonderful stuff we had.

Heike 05 Mar 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Don't forget your International driving licence and your visas and/or visa waiver fees.

jethro kiernan 06 Mar 2019
In reply to neilh:

Blue passports 

neilh 06 Mar 2019
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Turn round the argument. in this day and age you should be able to have it in colour you perosnaaly want.

jimtitt 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Heike:

> Don't forget your International driving licence and your visas and/or visa waiver fees.

And to take your pork pie out of your luggage!

nniff 06 Mar 2019
In reply to krikoman:

This is the good stuff we're supposed to be looking forward too, isn't it?  I'm fed up with Project Fear - I want someone to start Project Excitement and list all the wonderful things that we have to look forward to, like brown field building sites where there used to be car plants and green cards and blue passports that will get you out of our county but not into another and, and, and ............ stuff.

OP krikoman 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Padraig:

> Too what??

They also need 14 days notice

What's your point?

OP krikoman 06 Mar 2019
In reply to nniff:

Sounds like a great idea.

I've been waiting for May to tell us how much better off we'll all be when we leave.

IPPurewater 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Heike:

Get the correct type of International driving licence too. There are different versions for Spain (and I think Portugal) and the rest of the EU.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-per...

nniff 06 Mar 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Don't forget - this is 'the best possible deal'.  I haven't heard that phrase for at least a year.  Not sure why.

Anyway, I'm about to lick my thumb and stick it in a light socket and hope for the best possible outcome.  The other plan would be to put a light bulb in, but where's the fun in that?

john arran 06 Mar 2019
In reply to nniff:

> Anyway, I'm about to lick my thumb and stick it in a light socket and hope for the best possible outcome.  The other plan would be to put a light bulb in, but where's the fun in that?

If it ends up hurting, it's because the electricity is being mean to you, when all you were asking for is to light up your thumb to 1000 lumens - what's so hard about that?

Ciro 06 Mar 2019
In reply to arch:

> They could always stay in Britain for their holidays. 

Indeed, how selfish for people to have made plans to travel abroad.

OP krikoman 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Ciro:

> Indeed, how selfish for people to have made plans to travel abroad.

And to meet people who talk in a different language and have different traditions!!

Timmd 06 Mar 2019
In reply to arch:

....Which could make it less of a holiday?

Hooray for Brexit.

Post edited at 13:10
 nniff 06 Mar 2019
In reply to john arran:

> If it ends up hurting, it's because the electricity is being mean to you, when all you were asking for is to light up your thumb to 1000 lumens - what's so hard about that?

Well, I'm hoping for a life without the unnecessary expense of light bulbs.  I don't see why I should have to pay for electricity either - I can's see it so why should I pay?  Clearly, if the deal isn't a good one, then I won't need light bulbs anyway, so what's the problem?

So the big question is - is my fuse box thingy CE approved and does that matter?  All it does is cause trouble anyway, making silly rules about when electricity should flow and when it shouldn't.

Ciro 06 Mar 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> And to meet people who talk in a different language and have different traditions!!

Bloody traitors, fraternising with the remaining 27!

ianstevens 06 Mar 2019
In reply to john arran:

> If it ends up hurting, it's because the electricity is being mean to you, when all you were asking for is to light up your thumb to 1000 lumens - what's so hard about that?

you need some dunkirk spirit

RX-78 06 Mar 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

There's a name for a new cocktail!

nniff 06 Mar 2019
In reply to RX-78:

We got kicked out of Europe then by force.  Took us an age to get back in, and now look at us.  Ho xxxxxxxx hum

Tony Jones 06 Mar 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

> you need some dunkirk spirit

Aye, to burn in your oil lamps when the electricity runs out...

Dave the Rave 06 Mar 2019
In reply to arch:

Exactly. British holiday resortshave got busier since Austerity and Brexit will do them an even bigger favour. Who needs guaranteed sun. No passport me!

Blanche DuBois 07 Mar 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

> you need some dunkirk spirit

Won't there be an import duty on it though?  Best sticking with gin.

Pete Pozman 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ciro:

> Indeed, how selfish for people to have made plans to travel abroad.

It's only the elite who want to travel. They've had it coming. 

Dr.S at work 07 Mar 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> And to meet people who talk in a different language and have different traditions!!

There’s always Bala!

ianstevens 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Tony Jones:

> Aye, to burn in your oil lamps when the electricity runs out...

To clarify, I'm an adamant remainer and my above "dunkirk spirit" comment was a joke

ianstevens 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

And to meet people who talk in a different language and have different traditions!!

> There’s always Bala!

If the tradition you want is inbreeding  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...