UKC

Well Done Ollie!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Mar 2019

… Loved him as a player - he was the definitive sub, always made an impact when he came on - now he's redefining management. Go, Ollie, go!

aln 28 Mar 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Who?

abr1966 28 Mar 2019

Hard to not like him....even as a scouser!!

Gone for good 28 Mar 2019

How's he redefining management? He's lost his last 2 games to supposed lesser opposition.

In reply to aln:

Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer.....

Removed User 28 Mar 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

Glad you think of Arsenal as lesser opposition

I'm really chuffed. Think he is both the obvious and best choice.

In reply to Removed User:

I'm a Wolves fan so forgive me if I come across a little superscillious!

aln 28 Mar 2019

Who?

Lusk 29 Mar 2019

I love his Northern accent, cracks me up every time I listen to him.
I thought he'd galvanise MU into action, worrying for next season.

BnB 29 Mar 2019

Certainly the first MU manager that I've found likeable in a long while.

Post edited at 10:35
Removed User 29 Mar 2019

Good to see he's been given the job but I think the hardest part of the season lies before him. Two games against Barcelona and a series of tough games in the EPL, harder than Arsenal's or Chelsea's I think the next couple of months will test the character of both manager and team.

Hope Sanchez goes btw. He's never really made an impression and his exorbitant salary would likely be better spent on one or two other younger players.

Removed User 29 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

haha

are you an Owl aln………. ?

Roadrunner6 29 Mar 2019

Agree, I hope we buy youth and stop buying 29-30 year olds.

Matic is excellent but I'd like to see him used less and build a team for the future. We don't have to win the league but be competitive and play decent football.

I do worry Matic is too immobile. I'd even let Pogba go if he wants to.

A good appointment though. He really does come across as a top guy. One of the first things he did was attend Kompany's testimonial charity dinner. He was a steelly player, had a temper. Remember that deliberate sending off against Newcastle, made up 30 yards to stop a certain goal in the last minute. The team always came first for him. Got a standing ovation

youtube.com/watch?v=1waQJ3dC5ro&

timjones 29 Mar 2019

WTF is Ollie?

Removed User 29 Mar 2019
In reply to timjones:

You are about 10 posts too late with a very poor joke. I know you probably think you and aln have some moral high ground cos you don't like football but guess what......

SDM 29 Mar 2019

As a Cardiff fan, I was surprised by his initial appointment and even more surprised by the results he achieved.

When he was our manager, we saw no evidence of tactical ability, no ability to motivate the dressing room and an awful recruitment process which involved paying (for us) huge sums on unproven players who never made it for us and were offloaded after his sacking for huge losses, often after barely playing a game for the club. I think I'm right in saying that not a single one of his signings is still at the club. Had he not been sacked during his first full season, I am in no doubt that we would have been relegated to League One. 

Maybe he has learned since then, maybe he is more effective when managing a highly talented team, or maybe the results so far are mainly down to a massive short term increase in morale after a club legend replaced a toxic motivational drain.

I could be wrong but I'm not expecting United to be in the title race this time next year. Having someone else being in charge of recruitment will be essential if you want to return to challenging at the top. 

The New NickB 29 Mar 2019
In reply to SDM:

Given his success at Molde, before and after Cardiff, and his success over the last few months at Manchester United. Maybe Ole wasn't the problem at Cardiff!

Removed User 29 Mar 2019
In reply to SDM:

I don't think the club's change in fortunes can be put down simply to a morale boost. That generally lasts about 3 games with a new manager. Further he has shown tactical intelligence in a lot of his games. Maybe this is down to Mike Phelan, who knows, who cares?

I think we may struggle to get into the top four this season but I'm looking forward to the next one!

timjones 29 Mar 2019

How the hell am I supposed to assume any high ground when I didn't even know whether he manages a sports team or a rock group?

The joke was aimed at the assumption that we all knew who Ollie is rather than the game he plays.

SDM 29 Mar 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

> Given his success at Molde, before and after Cardiff, and his success over the last few months at Manchester United. Maybe Ole wasn't the problem at Cardiff!

It was certainly a difficult situation to come in to, with the fans and owner pretty much at war and the poorly managed gamble (prior to his arrival) to spend big on short term players to try and stay in the Premier league. But the team were absolutely woeful under him and were clearly heading in the wrong direction before the club decided to cut its losses.

Maybe it was just a bad fit for him. I guess time will tell. 

TMM 29 Mar 2019
In reply to timjones:

On seeing the thread topic my initial thought was that this would a thread celebrating the work of West Dorset’s Sir Oliver Letwin and his indicative vote process.

Regarding OGS I’m not sure it’s a good move unless he has the help of an experienced technical director. MUFC is a big ship to turn around. Some good coaching has got some short term results but I’m not convinced he can sustain that without a strong management team around him which allows him to be figurehead.

Roadrunner6 29 Mar 2019
In reply to SDM:

I think he learned lessons for sure.

He admits he got it wrong and wanted to play football he couldn't.

I think he knows what United want, but a big part of his success is the youth. He's come into the youth team he largely developed and who are brought through to play the way he wants to play. I do agree Phelan and Carrick are a big part but Ferguson always said the same. Phelan is a great guy, players love him. His twitter feed is worth a read. Tactically strong but it wasn't just the loss of Jose.

His boost has lasted a long time. We've had a few bad results but generally you see a huge change in the club. 

Removed User 29 Mar 2019
In reply to timjones:

> How the hell am I supposed to assume any high ground when I didn't even know whether he manages a sports team or a rock group?

Perhaps you could have read the thread before posting then?

timjones 29 Mar 2019

Or maybe a.bit of humour isn't a bad thing?

Lighten up

bouldery bits 29 Mar 2019
In reply to timjones:

> WTF is Ollie?

Skateboarding mate.

Gone for good 02 Apr 2019

Not looking the team they were a few weeks ago. Played poorly and won on Saturday. Played poorly and were well beaten again tonight.  

Removed User 03 Apr 2019

I think that's fair comment but I thought they played well against Arsenal and lost so it can work both ways. Remember, Man U have a long history of playing badly and still winning, but I don't think it is a bad thing for a new manager to experience losing otherwise the expectations get set too high. Just look at Totenham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...