UKC

Well done The Tories

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 26 Mar 2020

....for the measures for self employed people!

Now to wash my mouth with soap and water (although singing Happy Birthday may result in a foamy mess!!).

mullermn 26 Mar 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

The shot across the bows about ‘everyone paying their way in future’ is worth paying attention to. I hope he’s also planning to bring in equivalent legal protection, financial support in the gaps between work, paid holiday, paid sick leave and all the other benefits that employees get that conveniently get forgotten when the griping about the (slightly) lower taxation on the self employed starts. 

Mr Lopez 26 Mar 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

What did i miss? Nothing in the news yet

Post edited at 17:20
Deadeye 26 Mar 2020
In reply to mullermn:

> The shot across the bows about ‘everyone paying their way in future’ is worth paying attention to. I hope he’s also planning to bring in equivalent legal protection, financial support in the gaps between work, paid holiday, paid sick leave and all the other benefits that employees get that conveniently get forgotten when the griping about the (slightly) lower taxation on the self employed starts. 

I think he's more referring to the fact that if, by any chance, you happen to have under-declared your income, you might be regretting it.  But of course no self-employed people ever do that, so it's all good.

wercat 26 Mar 2020
In reply to Mr Lopez:

still in progress - Radio 4 (198 kHz LW or FM)

Post edited at 17:25
 richprideaux 26 Mar 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> ....for the measures for self employed people!

*assuming you can survive until June, when the money will actually arrive..

Edit: not sure why the dislike - the income gap between March and June will be enough to send some small businesses under. It's assistance, but not an equivalent to that given to the employed.

Post edited at 17:51
 aln 27 Mar 2020
In reply to richprideaux:

> *assuming you can survive until June, when the money will actually arrive..

Can't apply till June, when will the money arrive?

In reply to aln:

> Can't apply till June, when will the money arrive?

Yeah last night's announcement suggested payment in June but the email I've received says can't apply until June.

Considering the numbers involved although holding my breath is great for anti-virus measures, not sure how effective it is for planning finances.

Can't see it doing much for the 'stay away from non-essential work' message. 

* For balance, it's more than welcome. 

Post edited at 10:11
In reply to richprideaux:

> *assuming you can survive until June, when the money will actually arrive..

> Edit: not sure why the dislike - the income gap between March and June will be enough to send some small businesses under. It's assistance, but not an equivalent to that given to the employed.

I think the dislikes are a tacit "we should be grateful".

I know plenty of instructors who are going to be screwed. My situation is, we'll manage.

I've been prudent and done the saving bit (six months bills plus some - which paradoxically made me ineligible for ESA!), but that'll take a hit. I'll need to make sure I don't have an accident when this passes because I won't be making up the savings for quite a while.

Bacon Butty 27 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

They should suspend UC now and allow anyone who has lost their income to claim some basic level of benefit immediately, maybe a week in arrears. Sure, it would be wide open for fiddling, but we're on the brink of extraordinary times. They can sort any fraud out later.

Post edited at 10:28
 girlymonkey 27 Mar 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

I have read somewhere that he's planning to raise NI payments to match PAYE NI. All well and good if we are also going to get sick pay and holiday pay from our increased NI!! I had been considering not taking it as I have other work lined up, but if NI is going up then I will take it and consider it my sick pay!

flatlandrich 27 Mar 2020
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> Can't see it doing much for the 'stay away from non-essential work' message. 

I keep seeing this “stay away from non-essential work” message on these forums but on the governments official website on going to work they explicatively state that no businesses, other than those that have been listed (bars, cafés, gyms, hairdressers etc) need to close and are actually encouraging them to carry on, subject to being able to maintain social distancing guidelines.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home...

I think the governments main idea behind this self employment payout is that by June a lot of this will have subsided (if the models and data are correct) and many of us that are self employed will be working close to normal by then and decide not to submit a claim as it's bound to be complicated and delayed despite what they say now. Although I understand the reasons why it'll take a good while to set up.

Rob Exile Ward 27 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Holiday pay isn't paid by the govt, and SSP is pretty minimal.

girlymonkey 27 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

SSP might be minimal, but it still exists for employed people! Not that I often have to cancel due to illness, I'm pretty robust, but it does occasionally happen. I am all in favour of paying tax and NI, but if we are not eligible for the same benefits then paying less NI seems reasonable

Rob Exile Ward 27 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

People really shouldn't fixate on NI, it's not set aside for specific purposes, it's just part of the overall tax take. SSP would be impossible to administer for self employed people - it's hard enough for employed where you have full PAYE records.

Self employment is generally acknowledged to be financially advantageous for all sorts of reasons, from being able to claim a wide range of expenses to only having to pay tax twice a year. (And I won't of course mention the 'cash in hand' jobs, though every poster here who has ever had a job done for cash is guilty of tax evasion).

I've been self employed off and on for many years, it seemed fair enough to me, I appreciated the freedom but I was certainly always conscious that it could come to an abrupt end - I could break my leg, for example - and always had that at the back of my mind. 

girlymonkey 27 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I just feel that if I will now be paying more then I will take the grant! I won't be earning as much through the new job as I would in my summer freelancing.

I have never failed to declare anything and I suspect I don't claim as many expenses as I could. I do it myself and don't use an accountant who would know all the work arounds. I just deduct insurance costs, courses and basic kit. 

I will take what I am eligible for of they are going to charge more in future due to this!

Mr Lopez 27 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I have never failed to declare anything and I suspect I don't claim as many expenses as I could. I do it myself and don't use an accountant who would know all the work arounds. I just deduct insurance costs, courses and basic kit. 

(Pssst. Courses cannot be put as expenses if you are self employed unless they are revalidations. Don't tell anyone. Ssssshh...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...