UKC

Western Isles weather - Storm Force 11 at the moment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Douglas Griffin 30 Jan 2013
Check the current weather at Europaidh in north-west Lewis:
http://www.eoropaidh.co.uk/

Wind currently sitting at 65mph, gusting to over 95mph. Storm Force 11 I think?
 Steve Perry 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: We had the same on the north coast of scotland last night and today. Lamp posts looked like they were going to snap and my shed took a serious pounding. I went down to Torrisdale beach today and it was an incredible sight, you would not want to be out in that sea in a boat!
Douglas Griffin 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

It was very windy in Aberdeenshire too but nothing like as bad as further north and west by the sound of it.
In reply to Douglas Griffin: pretty nifty little website (the weather page)
Douglas Griffin 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:

It's a mere Storm Force 8 in Lewis this morning.

80mph gusts within the past hour. Lots of ferries cancelled today.
 drunken monkey 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: Very Windy on the Moray Coast as well. Not a day to be on a boat or up a hill.
In reply to drunken monkey:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-21320364
Scientists at Lews Castle College UHI have been measuring what they described as "extreme" wave heights in the sea off west Lewis.
Arne Vogler, a senior research engineer and principle investigator at the Hebridean Marine Energy Futures project, said hurricane force gusts had also been recorded.
He said: "Today we are measuring some extreme wave heights with averages of 12m and maximum waves of 20m.
"The sea is still building up and even higher waves are anticipated during the day."
 drunken monkey 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: I was offshore working before Xmas, and we had recorded wave heights of over 20m and 94mph winds.

The scaffolding on the 13m deck was lets say "re-arranged" the following day.

Very impressive weather conditions.

P.S - Wind speed of 120mph recorded on Cairngorm this morning.
Removed User 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

I checked out the web cam on that site and the sheep seem happy enough, grazing away.

I wonder how strong the wind has to be before it can move a sheep?
In reply to drunken monkey:

I've been offshore a fair bit myself and have seen what the North Sea can be capable of. But these waves on Lewis are being recorded in inshore waters!

In reply to Eric: Good question!
 abr1966 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: I came back from Shetland to Aberdeen on the night of the 29th...head on in to force 10 for 13 hours...quite something. We pulled in to the lee of Orkney for a while as the stabilisers had been damaged and needed fixing. It was good to be back on land in the morning!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...