UKC

What are you doing on Christmas Day?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 22 Dec 2020

As the post says really. I'll be going for an early morning dog-walk on our local beach, hopefully in the promised sunshine!

ianstevens 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Looks sunny Friday, so... climbing (bouldering, by myself)

mrmann007 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

As my flatmate and I don't fancy cooking a christmas dinner, we are instead going to have a Mexican themed day. Tequila and tacos all day it is. 

Gone for good 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> As the post says really. I'll be going for an early morning dog-walk on our local beach, hopefully in the promised sunshine!

Last Christmas it was a beautiful clear cold and sunny day and I did a 10 mile run in the morning which gave me the justification to do whatever I wanted the rest of the day! I'm hoping for something similar this year but maybe a cycle instead of a run.

Post edited at 11:03
 jkarran 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Half our Christmas plan got pruned to reduce travel/risk then my brother got re-tiered (and covid simultaneously) so the last bit of it got binned too leaving us with surplus food. Now I'll be cooking and wrangling a very wriggly baby before late lunch with wife, baby and a couple of local friends whose plans also got binned.

jk

Stichtplate 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Mostly sleeping (hopefully), prior to an 18:00-06:00 shift. 

And no, we don't get paid extra

profitofdoom 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Stuffing my face with turkey, sprouts (a favourite since I was a boy), Xmas pudding, cream, biscuits, chocolates

Doug 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

assumming the snow is still there I'll probably go out XC skiing mid/late morning, then a leisurely afternoon - I'm in France so the big meal is the evening of the 24th so the 25th will probably be based on left overs

Dan Arkle 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Surfing. The east coast looks big, and cold. 

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Walk from our house with the dog over to somewhere like Monsal Head. Homemade soup for lunch. Back home by tea time. Light the fires, cook dinner, open presents and settle down to watch Die Hard. It is Xmas after all. 

elliot.baker 22 Dec 2020
In reply to jkarran:

I hope it’s a baby turkey your cooking and wrangling! 🙊🤣

yorkshireman 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Like Doug I'm in France but me and the other half are English and will still do the big traditional dinner on the 25th. It's meant to snow again though, after a period of really mild weather (I've just been for a run to top of a mountain in a t-shirt) so will likely be snowshoe or XC in the morning followed by stuffing my face. We usually have friends and/or family over but all that is obviously up the spout

jkarran 22 Dec 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

> I hope it’s a baby turkey your cooking and wrangling! 🙊🤣

LOL. I always thought Oxford commas were pretty pointless but apparently not

jk

Post edited at 12:30
 The Lemming 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I will be eating my Christmas dinner off a plastic take-away box in the front seat of a van waiting for all the drunks to kick off.

Sort of takes the shine off the most favourite day of my year.

And Christmas Eve is taken up with a funeral of a work mate.

Post edited at 12:55
 Flinticus 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Two dog walks in local park - same as every day but I expect the park to be far busier than usual. 

Glasgow tier 3 so not much without breaking the rules. However 25 Dec is one of my least favourite days of the year!

Andy Gamisou 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Out climbing with the missus and up to 3 dogs, depending on where we go.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Very low key. No traditional Xmas meal, but Freda wants to cook something else interesting. We'll probably go for a walk, weather permitting. Doesn't affect us much, quite frankly, not having v indulgent tastes (apart from my prediliction for whisky ) Also, thank the gods, I've been working on a major book project for 11 years that's channelled my mind, and as things now look I think I may be having the huge celebration of 'the final full stop' of the first draft - one of the sweetest things that I've ever experienced in life, just 6 times in 40 years - sometime over the Xmas holiday. Maybe sooner.

Post edited at 13:14
 Dax H 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Up early doors to take the dogs up to the woods.if it's not raining Back home to wake the Mrs up so we can watch the sun come up sitting in the hot tub,  if the weather is manky I will let her sleep and watch a bit of TV until she gets up. 

bouldery bits 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

> Last Christmas it was a beautiful clear cold and sunny day and I did a 10 mile run in the morning which gave me the justification to do whatever I wanted the rest of the day! 

^ This

mountainbagger 22 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> I will be eating my Christmas dinner off a plastic take-away box in the front seat of a van waiting for all the drunks to kick off.

> Sort of takes the shine off the most favourite day of my year.

> And Christmas Eve is taken up with a funeral of a work mate.

Oh man I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for doing what you do and I hope next year is better (might not be fewer drunks but you know what I mean).

The Lemming 22 Dec 2020
In reply to mountainbagger:

I'm not looking for medals.

Just like everybody else, I'm shuffling along with a job to keep the wolf from my door.

My admiration goes to shop workers and just about anybody else who has to have direct contact with people with maybe a mask to fend off their anxieties. There are some arseholes out there looking for fights when asked why they refuse to wear face coverings.

Blue Straggler 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I'll be home alone. Haven't really made plans but I hope to make myself a good proper roast dinner (probably shoulder of lamb, or possibly a chicken). If it's a nice day, a gentle bike ride for an hour just to get some fresh air. A couple of Zoom or WhatsApp videochat sessions (definitely one with family, and maybe a couple with other home-alone friends). Play my piano badly. Watch a classic long film like Giant or The Big Country. Something with "Christmas" Carroll Baker anyway  
And maybe the 1959 On the Beach, for a cheery note! 

In reply to The Lemming:

And I think about all the amazing home delivery guys who are working their bollocks off keeping us supplied with essentials. They are absolute heroes, in the very next level down from the vast number of NHS heroes who are being given shockingly little praise and encouragement for all they are doing.

mountainbagger 22 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Very true. I admire anyone who makes sacrifices or just selfless compromises for the common good. And anyone who persists with their own selfish world view in the face of overwhelming evidence to the point they put others at risk is an as*hole.

The Lemming 22 Dec 2020
In reply to mountainbagger:

Top tip.

Arse gets through the spelling bots.

🤣

profitofdoom 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> Out climbing with the missus and up to 3 dogs, depending on where we go.

You take the dogs climbing? How do you get them into a harness?

nniff 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

We've just had a delivery of special treats for Christmas and Boxing Day dinners.  For 12. 

However, n<12 now and I suspect that this will be like aversion therapy and I will never look at a cheese with truffle and the like ever again.  

In previous years, over-provisioning has been solved by taking surplus foodstuffs, chocolates, bottles of gin, etc climbing somewhere cold.  Not this year.

bouldery bits 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> And I think about all the amazing home delivery guys who are working their bollocks off keeping us supplied with essentials. They are absolute heroes, in the very next level down from the vast number of NHS heroes who are being given shockingly little praise and encouragement for all they are doing.

Indeed!

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

BB

Andy Gamisou 22 Dec 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

> You take the dogs climbing? How do you get them into a harness?

I don't.  We all go bouldering . Hopefully in 20°C sunshine, with nobody within 5km of us.  Sorry about that!

On the negative side, it's my wife's first day off in about 3 weeks, and probably her last for another 3 weeks.

Post edited at 16:45
 Stichtplate 22 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> I'm not looking for medals.

Who needs medals when they’ve turned the Tower green just for you? Nice touch from Blackpool tonight

didntcomelast 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Thank you, it’s much appreciated.  Been a funny old year. 

The Lemming 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

I've had my little win over Blackpool Council.

At the start of the month Bispham had two terrible Christmas Trees. 

Stop the press.

I made a YouTube about them. A week later Bispham got a third Christmas tree and the lights were taken off the two trees to shine a light on the third tree.

Little victories.

Dave B 22 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming and Stichtplate and all:

Thanks for what you're doing. I've got at least 2 more years before I draw a Christmas day straw... The privelege of all first year qualified. 

Luckily my wife has Christmas of this year, so we get it together with the kids, but No one else in Tier 4.

I'm hoping to go for a short 6k run and catch the 0800 high tide for a quick dip, or to go for a longer Prone Paddle later in the day.

The kids will have to have a walk to get rid of some energy and might fly a kite or something.

Hope  you all have the kind of day that is (relaxing and) enjoyable (as it can be) whatever your plans. 

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Not working, so that's a plus. I'll be going an hours run with the dog first thing. Then we're off to my son's place for Christmas Dinner. Looking forward to playing with my grandson. 

Mal Grey 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Tier 4 now (Surrey) so for the first time in 52 years, I won't be at my parents' place, but on my own at home. A bit weird, and surprisingly tough to get used to, despite it just being another day really. 

Can't even consider moping about the same flat I've lived and worked in all year, so I will be out in the canoe on the River Wey, and cooking myself some sort of multi-course Christmas dinner on the firebox under a tarp, in one of my favourite places. A mate may be able to join for a bit, which would be good. Then home at dusk, and a few "video drinks" with family. I think it'll be a good day.

Thank you to all on the "frontline", not just the obvious ones, and to everyone who is helping us get through this. 

Merry Christmas folks.

Babika 22 Dec 2020

> And I think about all the amazing home delivery guys who are working their bollocks off keeping us supplied with essentials. They are absolute heroes, in the very next level down from the vast number of NHS heroes who are being given shockingly little praise and encouragement for all they are doing.

Totally agree. I gave the postie a tip and the Hermes lady a bottle of fizz with profuse thanks and they both seemed flabbergasted that anyone had recognised the incredible frontline service they've given this year.

Delivery people - I salute you. 

Dax H 23 Dec 2020

There are hundreds of thousands of people who worked right through to keep the utilities going. At 1 point 3/4 of the team in the Doncaster area that clean the potable water were down either with covid or having to isolate but those who were left knuckled down and kept things running. 

arch 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Babika

We did this last night when our Morrisons delievery arrived. Seemed strange giving the driver a tin of sweets, we just hoped he wouldn't get accused of pilfering them, so put our post code and a little thankyou message on the tin.

arch 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> There are hundreds of thousands of people who worked right through to keep the utilities going. At 1 point 3/4 of the team in the Doncaster area that clean the potable water were down either with covid or having to isolate but those who were left knuckled down and kept things running. 

As with most services that get taken for granted, those doing it get very little praise. We're not in the front line, and I thank those who are, but we are a customer lead industry, so what the customer wants........

OP Sean Kelly 23 Dec 2020
In reply to arch:

Well with all the panic buying, most of the vegetable shelves were stripped in my local shop. Obviously all this French border closure is adding to this problem. But as some wag commented about no need to import the veg as we always have cabbage and sprouts! Now the kids are going to love this wonderful news@!!

nathan79 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Having been in Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl the past few days I've been struggling to decide whether it's normal Christmas levels of shelf clearing or Covid panicking. I only needed bits and bobs and all I came home lacking was quince jelly for the cheeseboards. (Possibly more due to the fact that few supermarkets stock it).

Weekly veg delivery from the farm a mile down the road is coming today, so that'll be my sprouts and the rest sorted.

Even before the latest changes Christmas day was only ever going to be dinner for two in our flat. Plenty food (looks like buffalo pie for the dinner main), too much beer to choose from and perhaps a wee wander if it's dry.

graeme jackson 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

So long as she likes her pressy I'll be having sex

Roadrunner6 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Bloody awful here, mid 50's and raining on snow so it'll be a washout. I'll run, probably take my daughter to jump in puddles. That'll be it. It'll be a strange Christmas that's for sure. We won't see any family but will zoom with both sets.

Ah the last full stop.  A very particular pleasure, but one I never experienced in that I always leave it to my editor to add it. An odd superstition, and I'm not sure where it came from, but one I've stuck to for 25 years!

Post edited at 19:06
 Fozzy 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Walk the dogs, open a couple of pressies, cook lunch, open the rest of the pressies, wash up from lunch, walk dogs again, films & napping, cheese, bed. 

kathrync 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I'll be home alone as I am Glasgow and my family is in Bucks so my plans to travel down came to nothing. I've bought a good steak for Christmas dinner as I couldn't face doing a roast for just me. I'll go for a run, eat my steak, find a good film to watch and work on the jigsaw that my friend sent me - and probably spend a lot of time on the phone.

Myfyr Tomos 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Not many going to church then...  😉

Jenny C 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Not many going to church then...  😉

Pre booking required at my local and no vacancies left for Christmas services.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

The first nine hours of Christmas day until 9am are part of tomorrow's nightshift in A&E.

OP Sean Kelly 24 Dec 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

First year for ages when I've not been to a Carol Service, which really is an essential part of Christmas for me.

wintertree 24 Dec 2020
In reply to jkarran:

> LOL. I always thought Oxford commas were pretty pointless but apparently not

Don't fall for the abomination so easily.  I've yet to met a case that can't be solved by re-ordering, vis:

Now I'll be wrangling a very wriggly baby and cooking

I don't know about North Yorks way up here in Weardale heavy snow is landing on frozen ground, so it looks like we'll be going for a walk in the snow on Christmas Day.

Tringa 24 Dec 2020
In reply to wintertree:

Take the dog for the usual early morning walk. Even here in the south of the UK it looks as if we'll have a dry, clear and cold day.

Then make Christmas dinner - all the usual things apart from meat.

If I'm feeling OK it will be board games, if not then its off to the north east for an eyesight test.

Dave

graeme jackson 24 Dec 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> way up here in Weardale heavy snow is landing on frozen ground, so it looks like we'll be going for a walk in the snow on Christmas Day.

Didn't know you lived in weardale. I spent a lot of my youth there and loved it. My uncle farmed in Daddry Shield so I'd be up helping at lambing and through the summer and my aunt had a cottage in East Blackdene that I'd be at more often than not. Wonderful area.   

wintertree 24 Dec 2020
In reply to graeme jackson:

> Didn't know you lived in weardale. I spent a lot of my youth there and loved it. My uncle farmed in Daddry Shield so I'd be up helping at lambing and through the summer and my aunt had a cottage in East Blackdene that I'd be at more often than not. Wonderful area.   

It's a much over-looked part of the world.  

One of my favourite short walks is up the track from behind the pub in St John's chapel towards Chapel Fell then back down the track to Daddy Shield.  There's an old mine you can get to through a crumbling tunnel from near the meeting of the tracks, and the farmer has been surfacing the second track with spoil from the mine, so the track is paved with Fluorspar.  

A few years ago a small and dilapidated cattle byte about 500 m north west of East Blackdene came on the market which I tried to buy for a slightly crazy holiday let idea (because I don't have enough to do...) but the vendors ended up lumping it in with the main sale of their farm and a rental cottage, which put too many zeros on the price tag.  It's gone to a tourist development group who're going for glamping - Sunny Bank farm, perhaps that was where your uncle was?

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18533933.weardale-holiday-park-hopes...

Phil1919 24 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Walk, eat, walk, eat, drink, watch telly.

graeme jackson 24 Dec 2020
In reply to wintertree:

The farm was in Daddry Shield. The original farmhouse was off Pleasant Row but they moved down to the main road and lived in the house with the green door behind the railings (on streetview).  They shared the land directly south of the A689 between Pleasant Row and the next track west just past the houses. I'm not sure how much of that tract they owned but I remember driving the tractor a long way up the fell to feed the sheep. I think most of the land eventually got sold to the big farm north of the A689. 

My Aunt's house in East Blackdene was the one with the red roof in Google maps satellite view. My dad and another uncle built the conservatory for her. She moved over the pennines to Lazonby when I was about 17 or 18. 

Philb1950 24 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Back in the day I remember getting a call from Ron F and we went out bouldering. In later years, along with loads of others it was Christmas Crack at Stanage

wintertree 24 Dec 2020

I'll have a look out the next time we're up there.  

Beats my childhood trips to relatives - playing on a bus lane through Basildon.  The hi-light was the Army and Navy roundabout and it's funky single-lane flyover that would change direction.   I gather it's finally getting a proper flyover...

wercat 24 Dec 2020
In reply to wintertree:

Hopefully an alpine start for a  circuit of Helvellyn by the edges

Post edited at 18:27
 wercat 24 Dec 2020

you two are making me homesick now (Crawleyside)

Removed User 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Working, as I'm in a non-Xmas place. 

A quick present session before kid goes to school and something vaguely festive to eat on the weekend. Suits me actually, to be free of all the 10 weeks of hoo hah that I don't feel the one day of forced festivity justifies.

I've never got on with Xmas anyway, don't miss it at all, but glad it's going on somewhere for those that enjoy it. For those that don't - there is an escape.

peppermill 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Just finishing a night shift, heading to bed then probably a bit of sneaky mountain biking this afternoon.

Doug 25 Dec 2020

Not long up, and its a white Christmas, after being warm for a few days the temperature had dropped giving a hard frost plus a little fresh snow. Off for a short pre-breakfast walk in a few minutes.

Happy Christmas everybody

jimtitt 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Doug:

> Not long up, and its a white Christmas, after being warm for a few days the temperature had dropped giving a hard frost plus a little fresh snow. Off for a short pre-breakfast walk in a few minutes.

> Happy Christmas everybody

It is indeed snowing here in Bavaria, sadly on wet soggy warm ground. Just replaced the brake pads on one of my KTMs and thinking about cooking the turkey.

abr1966 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Merry Christmas to all....special mention to all fellow self isolating people home alone!

The Lemming 25 Dec 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I'm in a Rest Home right now. Does that count?

😷

Alkis 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

My plan was to get up early and go do Christmas Crack before the crowds get there. Unlike other years, at 8AM there was already a queue so I went home to crack open a bottle of white. :-P

Myfyr Tomos 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Quick blast up Foel Boeth and Gallt y Daran, then home for a late breakfast.

Nadolig Llawen i bawb.

David Alcock 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I'm lounging in bed under sheepskins* with a glass of scotch, listening to my boys' banter, and wondering who to do next on the Xmas phonecall list. No tree, no presents, bliss**. Merry Christmas to all. 

* Four guys in a one bed flat, so excusable. 

** Or it would be if one of the bastards hadn't just sprayed Lynx in the air. 

Bacon Butty 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Alkis:

Just going to get pissed in all probability.

Spoken to me 94 old mother, who's going to spend the day with her neighbours, there'll be no shortage of booze in that household!

And execute a vague plan of making turkey dinner for the rest of my lot.

Blue Straggler 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Alkis:

> My plan was to get up early and go do Christmas Crack before the crowds get there. Unlike other years, at 8AM there was already a queue so I went home to crack open a bottle of white. :-P

sounds like it was ALL about the wine all along really 😃

mbh 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Opened presents. Went for a coastal walk. Had a turkey roll on tip of headland shown. it is Park Head, between Porthcothan and Bedruthan Steps. Tagine awaits.

Welsh Kate 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Just walked up a hill and came down a mountain! Fab views in all directions, couldn't quite spot Pen y Fan in the cloud but plenty of lower hills in the Beacons! 

veteye 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Just back from a bike ride, which I had a planned route for(Not too far), but my plan was foiled, as one of the roads was flooded for about 2-300 yards. I thought that the waters would have subsided more than this, by this morning. 

(Having said that, I know that the A1 northbound was still closed west of Peterborough, at near to midnight, again due to flooding.

Blue Straggler 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I got out of bed much later than I’d intended to, due to an unplanned late night session watching the 1973 telly anthology “Thriller”. Got up today at 10.40am, quick shower, then prepped a shoulder of lamb according to a “Moroccan style” recipe off the Internet, put it in for its first hour, and went for a bike ride for an hour (gentle one!). Clear, bright and fresh. The weather, not me. It was bloody freezing so I had a quick shallow hot bath to warm up, then decided to delay main meal and just have a brunch during a WhatsApp video chat with family. Seemed to lose an hour somewhere in the afternoon, mostly just drinking coffee and playing piano. Then Zoom chat with some good old friends. 

Slightly sloshed now. Will have dinner soon and (as promised in my first reply) a Christmas Carroll Baker film, I’ve chosen The Big Country which is odd as I also mentioned On Th Beach which means I risk a 5+ hour Gregory Peck double bill! 

justdoit 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Early morning half hour walk, small Christmas Dinner with my housemate. Then a two hour walk over some local hills close to home.

Very nice 👌 

didntcomelast 25 Dec 2020

Small world. My fathers cousin had a farm on Sidehead just out of Daddry Shield when I was a kid. Used to cycle up to camp there in the late 1970’s. Spent many a hot summers day swimming in the river down there. 

wintertree 25 Dec 2020
In reply to wercat:

> you two are making me homesick now (Crawleyside)

One of my favourite walks with Jr is NW from Stanhope along Stanhope Burn crossing to the east over the bridge by Widley Field into the old mine workings, over to Crawleyside and then along Crawley Edge and down union lane.  This short walk takes in an a great variety of terrains - old, deciduous woods, edge of geologically fascinating gorge, abandoned mine workings, sheer quarry edge and fell side.  Also Dianne’s Tea Rooms

Post edited at 00:02
 wercat 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wintertree:

I used to do that in reverse - did it once at night without a torch out of bloody mindedness - it permanently took away any fear of the dark.   As a youngster I did loads of experiments with home made transmitters round the Dene and the quarries on Crawleyside - I left one running and cycled up as far as St John's Chapel where I could still hear the music it was transmitting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...