UKC

What made Tasmin Little retire from the day job?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 08 Feb 2021

She's got a history of herself going on, late on Sunday night on Radio 3, but as far as I'm aware, she has not let on what prompted her to put the professional violin bow down.

O Wikipedia, it just mentions giving things up recently, but no actual reason for it. I wonder if she has early signs of Parkinson's disease, or a similar difficult predicament to get her thoughts round.

Does anyone know more fully what prompted the retirement?

Welsh Kate 08 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

Don't know the reason, but have professional musicians in the family, one of whom has a senior position in an orchestra that does a lot of touring. Her silver lining in the pandemic has been the opportunity to spend so much time at home with her family and not be off travelling across the world so much, and enjoying concentrating on her teaching instead. I can completely understand it if Tasmin made a choice purely on the basis of quality of life.

OP veteye 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I can imagine the hurly-burly of zooming off everywhere to complete schedules made 3 years ago: And yet, I get the impression that most people in that hectic circumstance usually have a longer period of time off, or a sebatical, and then head back to the music that they love, possibly with the intent to insert longer gaps in schedule.

Maybe she wants to put aside time to compose, but is wary of saying that, due to too great an expectation of the outcome/products...

BusyLizzie 09 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

Quality of life for a professional performer must range from exciting and exhilarating to absolutely dire. No need to imagine a dramatic explanation such as illness - commonsense guess might be that she wants to stop whizzing round the world and settle down, and also perhaps to make music for fun rather than in an international spotlight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...