UKC

What other jobs could a nurse do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anonymous123 18 Jan 2018

For various reasons, looking to leave my full time nursing job and go on the bank (work less shifts, when/where I like) and would like to try something new, but what else can a nurse do outside of healthcare? I have a nursing BSc. Little experience in any other role. 

thermal_t 18 Jan 2018
In reply to anonymous123:

Asking the a difficult question there.

What else can a nurse do? Probably not much.

What else can you do? Loads of things, depending on your strengths and if you're willing to retrain.

I left a job I absolutely hated and jumped into a job that couldn't be any further removed from what I was doing originally. It was a massive leap of faith though and intimidating at times, all I wish now though was that I'd done it years earlier as I couldn't be happier. Having said that, I'm kind of glad I did a job I hated for so long, as it makes me truly appreciate where I am now! Good luck! 

alx 18 Jan 2018

Move into management for drug or medical device development in either Industry (Pharma & Contract Research Organisations) or Professional Services within Universities (clinical trial research units “CTRU’s”, technology transfer offices or business development). Real world healthcare experience is a desirable criteria in those fields as it’s about translating an idea proven on a lab bench into something that is fit to be tested and further developed in humans.

If you want to stay close to the NHS then you could consider their R&D arm the NIHR. NIHR MedTechs (MICs) or CLAHRCs could have a local match for your chosen field.

webbo 18 Jan 2018

Drug dealer or drug rep for a pharmaceutical company. You could join the forces and with your nursing qualification you could get a commission. Which might seem like more work but I’m led to believe the forces will encourage your outdoor interests and you could spend your time on training courses for such as outdoor first aid.

elsewhere 18 Jan 2018

You'll have evidence or examples of some or many generic skills such as...

Reliable even when working unattractive shifts
Work in a team
Calm and reliable in life & death situations
Ethical
Highly trustworthy as you may have had access to controlled drugs
Professional communication with colleagues
Sensitive communication a with the entire spectrum of the general public
Checking doses - numeracy and attention to detail
Computer literacy
Resource management
Manage a team

Basically you may have the non-specific personal qualities in spades, particularly for dealing with the general public. 

alanblyth 18 Jan 2018

Are you looking or a full or part time job elsewhere? If Full Time then I agree with the pharma/medical device manufacturers suggestion - you can talk to practitioners, that's a valuable asset.

If you're looking to do something part-time, then you could consider self-employment, although I have no specific suggestions (dog walking?).

Good luck on your adventure!

Kemics 18 Jan 2018

I think ward nursing is one of the worst/toughest jobs out there(for me). So massive hats off to anyone who can do it. 

Do you want to get out health care altogether? There's some really interesting stuff for nurses to progress to ENP,ECP etc, most GP surgeries/MIU will put you through prescribing modules. Though I'm guessing you know all this, but just in case you dont  

I know some nurses who have gone to do disability assessments. Not really health care so much. Much more regular hours, no night shifts and decent pay. 

SAF 18 Jan 2018

Medical event cover, covering sports events, music festivals etc.  Mostly unsocial hours but less stress, and more fun to be had than hospital work.  Just be sure to pick a good company with high quality staff/ equipment.  

SAF 18 Jan 2018

Also as I said in a in reply to a previous thread of yours, don't underestimate how much better life is once you are in control of it which you will be as Agency/ Bank working less hours, you might well find working as a nurse is no where near as bad then.

Maybe also look up what you need to do to become a REC first aid instructor, I looked it up myself some years ago, but can't remember off the top of my head.  If you have A&E experience it would be a great way of using that experience to step across into the outdoor industry.

Post edited at 17:40
Removed User 18 Jan 2018

I quit nursing last year after many decades. Didn't want to leave but the job has become impossible. I now do small painting and decorating jobs. Keeping it partime can be a problem. No shortage of work.........

Good luck.

Dave the Rave 18 Jan 2018

Retrain as an OT whilst getting paid? 

anonymous123 21 Jan 2018

Cheers all. Good suggestions. Given me some food for thought!

Trangia 21 Jan 2018

Animal Nursing?  Obviously would need retraining. Probably not as stressful as the NHS as you would be working for private Veterinary practices, better sense of teamwork and less demanding patients.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...