UKC

What platform/ file type do I want?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 11 May 2020

We had my father's funeral today. It went well, but obviously we could only have 10 people there. We tried to do a sound recording of it, but it didn't work (mum didn't want it filmed or webcast, she felt it too intrusive).

So, I am going to try to compile something to send to people with a transcript of what was said and I would like it to be possible to have the music tracks linked to this so that as people read it, they click on the link as they get to it and that bit of music plays.

I would like 80 year olds with some basic computer ability to be able to access it. 

I guess what I am asking is, is there some sort of platform where I can create this and just send a link to click on. Once clicked on they can, without downloading or registering with anything, click the link to the opening music, read what I said, next link to next bit of music, read next but said etc?

PPP 11 May 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Sorry to hear that. 

An unlisted YouTube video/playlist might work? It would be only accessible by link, does not need to register and should be supported by most platforms. 

OP girlymonkey 11 May 2020
In reply to PPP:

So you mean write the texts in an email and add in YouTube links through the email?

Alkis 11 May 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

You have my deepest condolences.

I would consider something like a Google Slides presentation, should be viewable by anyone with a browser.

In reply to Alkis:

Thanks, I have had a go at that, although I had to pay for more storage on my google drive to get the audio files on. 

Have sent it to my mum to see if she thinks it's simple enough for the oldies in the family to deal with.

Toerag 11 May 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Be careful with online stuff - it may be less permanent than you or the people reading it wish it to be. Make sure you have a personal backup or two.

In reply to Alkis:

We couldn't get slides to play the music. It worked fine if I ran the presentation on my computer, but when I sent it to my mum it wouldn't play the music. My dad was a piper, so the music is an important bit of it.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I think we do want something like that, but just not that!! lol

In reply to Toerag:

yeah, we have paper copies of it all and will probably print it into some sort of booklet when we are finally allowed to do a big family gathering. This is just something to send out to people just now.

Alkis 11 May 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Ah, shame. Yeah, media in slides can be iffy, when it works it works well, but there are quite a few things that can go wrong. Good luck, I'm sure there are other services you can use, I just don't know them.

Post edited at 22:35
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hi gm, I've got plenty of web space, including an 'archive' area that's completely separate from my website. The way it's embedded it's pretty private, and seems to be beyond the reach of Google search. 

If you could send me a text document of the transcript, plus the links in the right place, I could set it up very easily for you. You would need to send me the music tracks as MP3s (or similar). Or perhaps, very likely, your music tracks already exist on the internet, e.g. YouTube which makes it even simpler. Very simple.

The only snag is that it would have my name in the address bar, but that could be hidden in the initial link you send out in your email by e.g. bitly. Apart from the address bar, the page would just be a very simple white one, with text and links. (Of course, I could design it a bit, with background colours and all sorts of fancy stuff, but I'm very busy at the moment and not offering to do that ) But it would do what you want, I think.

Of course, it could be as temporary or permanent as you like. As soon as you wanted me to remove it, I would do so.

Again, another way of doing it would be as a pdf, with links. I could do that too. That would have the advantage of simplicity, but it would be fixed size, eg. A4. The first way I suggested would be in HTML, so would adapt to different sizes of browser screen/ iBooks etc.

PS (about the 5th!). If those music links already exist on line I could set this whole thing up for you in about 10 minutes.

Post edited at 23:39
OP girlymonkey 12 May 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Hi Gordon, 

Thanks for a very generous offer. I may well take you up on it. I am still waiting for one person to send through the text of what he said, but once I get that I could send it all over. I have the music as MP3 files. 2 of the 3 will be on YouTube (one was a Scottish country dance tune which was written for him so not online that we are aware of), but the YouTube ones have applause etc on them. Not the end of the world, but given the occasion it might be nice to have the ones without applause if that's not too much hassle.

Thank you so much, that is very kind indeed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...