UKC

What's an Editor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

As in BBC Political Editor or Economics editor.

What does the term editor mean and why is this different to, say, a chief correspondent or in the case of Roger Harrabin who is an environment analyst?

Blue Straggler 08 Dec 2018
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Presumably an editor has decision-making control over what political bias there is. Not being cynical with this at all. Think of how newspapers have a “letter from the editor” where the editor is permitted to openly share personal opinion

I think it is why there was a lot of fuss about Laura Kuenssberg

Post edited at 16:36
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I meant Editor in general. Each branch of journalism seems to have an editor so just curious what it actually means in the job.

Selecting (main part of job), compiling, trimming, tweaking. What goes out/is published in any editor's department is 'his' edition, carefully overseen by him.

Doug 08 Dec 2018
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

That's a good definition for an editor for printed material (or on a web site) but does it work for TV &/or radio? Print editors frequnetly don't have much printed under their own name but on TV & radio they are much more present

> I meant Editor in general. 

I did too.Remove the word “political” , and the Kuenssberg example, from my post.

Editor can still drive what message is being put across by the material.

In reply to Doug:

Interesting that Gordon has joined in given that he has worked in feature-film editing. 

I think his comment applies to all media.

Certainly in feature films there are tales of maniacal directors insisting on having editorial control, which implies that when they don’t, their material can be edited in a way that no longer presents what they intended.

Wainers44 08 Dec 2018

Being a dartmoor lad i guess its Tor named after a guy called Eddy? 

Yes, my comment was meant to apply to all media. Film editing is a rather more creative business, as it gets to the heart of the medium. When directors have complete editorial control, they in effect become the editor, and the editor, their assistant. But many directors only want editorial control in the broad sense and not in the precise way the movie is constructed.

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Not to digress too far from the OP but what Tony Kaye claims happened to him with American History X was a good example of editorial CONTROL being taken away from the “creative” (Kaye). On the other hand Robert Evans states that Coppola shot a lot of great material for The Godfather but it only really came together in the editing process, from which Coppola was excluded.

In reply to Doug:

> That's a good definition for an editor for printed material (or on a web site) but does it work for TV &/or radio? Print editors frequnetly don't have much printed under their own name but on TV & radio they are much more present

Does this apply to the jounalist/presenters we see on the news, which is what I was referring to?  

> Does this apply to the jounalist/presenters we see on the news, which is what I was referring to?  

are you being specific, or general?!

“ meant Editor in general. Each branch of journalism seems to have an editor so just curious what it actually means in the job.

Yanis Nayu 08 Dec 2018

I thinks it’s when they’ve been thoroughly vetted by Conservative party HQ. 

felt 08 Dec 2018
In reply to Doug:

> That's a good definition for an editor for printed material 

In book publishing it's a bit more complicated than in newspapers: in my time, for instance, I've been a managing editor, commissioning editor, desk editor, project editor and even senior editor (not as good as it sounds). Then there's assistant editor (or editorial assistant), production editor (nowadays more usually production controller or production executive), editorial director and doubtless others that I've missed. Sales and marketing people miss out on being called editor, having to make do with executive/manager/director.

In newspapers it's a bit like Mr in surgery. Once you've reached the very top you're simply editor.

> are you being specific, or general?!

> “ meant Editor in general. Each branch of journalism seems to have an editor so just curious what it actually means in the job.

> ”

Specific. The Business Editor,  political Editor, sports editor on news channels. The ones who present the news on TV.

Bob Hughes 08 Dec 2018

They choose and commission stories. E.g, the business editor will decide what stories to run in the business section that day and then decides who will research / write them. 

Wiley Coyote2 09 Dec 2018

As ever, it is complicated and much depends on the size of the operation.

In theory - and legally - the editor is responsible for all content, as Gordon says higher up the thread. That's deciding what will be covered, who will cover it, the angle to be pursued, amendments to the content, and its position and prominence on the page or in the bulletin, The editor is also ultimately responsible for hiring/firing and promotions. They will also decide the  paper's viewpoint, including political. Oh and  allocating the budget which they will spend a lot of time fighting for.

Of course in  most operations this is way too much for one person and they delegate much of  the job to to section heads, like news eds, picture eds, features eds, sports eds, production eds etc who may also in turn delegate to their own staff. The real crap, such as a lot of the admin,  will be backheeled to some burned out hack who will be given some meaningless  fancy title like Managing Editor, even though they have little or no  say in what goes into the paper and spend their time arguing over expenses.

How much autonomy the section editors like, say,  sport or travel have will often depend on the Editor's own interest. If they don't care about sport or travel, those people will be left to run their own ship pretty much as long as they don't libel anyone or blow their budget.

In most cases a political editor can expect a lot of phone calls because editors and/or proprietors generally take a great deal of interest. It's a bit of a two-way street in that the editor/proprietor relies on the political ed to keep them abreast of what's really going on behind the scenes so political eds tend to have more access and influence with the bosses than other section eds.  They can also sometimes baffle them with bullshit by talking about their   confidential sources - 'oh I could not possibly give you a name' - but only if  they call it right.  They actually may not have to put up with much interference per se because editors/proprietors tend to appoint political eds in their own likeness who broadly share their  views.

In the case of people like Laura Kuensberg/Robert Peston/Faisal Islam who do a lot of actual reporting there is not much time for overseeing anyone else and for the most part they would not even try to. Broadcasters are in any event reasonably tightly constrained by regulators. and, certainly in the case of the BBC, a huge hierachy of people with 'Editor' of 'Head of...' in their title. In their case part of the value in the title of 'Political Editor'  is the prestige it confers since people will take a call  or accept a dinner invitation from the BBC's Political Editor that they might palm off to a minion if it came from a mere 'correspondent'. The stardust of being on the box almost every night also dazzles some ministers and most MPs.

All that said, every operation is slightly different and even the same ones change according to the  personality of the editor. Dacre  was a workaholic and very hands on, personally reading every story, while others are more laid back. So the short answer (at the end of this very long one) is that editors do as much or at little  of the above as time and their inclination allows.

Blue Straggler 09 Dec 2018

> Specific.

Probably more useful not to say "I meant Editor in general", then, TheDrunkenBakers. 

> Probably more useful not to say "I meant Editor in general", then, TheDrunkenBakers. 

I thought my OP was clear so apologies if it wasnt. I meant specifically the presenter/broadcaster type but editior of this genre in general, if you get my drift.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...