UKC

What’s happened to Pete’s Eats?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 12 May 2019

I called in this evening to refuel after a good day on the hill and before long drive home. None of the usual healthy choices on the menu, chilli con carne etc but just fry ups. My fish and chips were awful; minuscule sliver of fish coated in masses of rock hard batter, chips mostly crispy bits from bottom of the frier. Everyone can have the occasional off day and if i hope this is case and I can look forward to going back on a better day. Or has there been a more fundamental change any time to go elsewhere?

rachcrewe 12 May 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

Mafon.

baron 12 May 2019

This’ll be Pete’s Eats, made famous,in part, thanks to its healthy eating Big Jim?

Kevster 12 May 2019

I heard a rumour it'd changed ownership. Their giant omelettes in the past were the stuff of legends. So too has the wait for tables and food. But this changes each few years between visits. Petes may serve sushi next time..... but knowing will spoil the fun. 

In reply to baron:

Yes I remember going to Pete’s once 35 years ago feeling invincible after ticking two mega hard (at the time) classics. Needless to say the Big Jim defeated me. Not Big Jim on the menu now either, and the Big Jim wasn’t cooked as bad as today’s meal either

Post edited at 21:57
 ianstevens 12 May 2019

Sounds like the Petes standard. You don’t go there for quality or healthy food surely? If you want large quantities for little money then it’s the first port of call.

In reply to ianstevens:

> If you want large quantities for little money then it’s the first port of call.

Apparently not any more

Paul16 13 May 2019

We went in the other day, couldn't find a seat and ended up at the chippy down the road. I can definitely recommend the chippy although maybe not for healthy food!

Sean Kelly 13 May 2019

Their chip buttie was a classic & cheap!

JohnO1978 13 May 2019

I actually avoid it now. I had a coffee there a few weeks back that was absolutely rank which was a follow up from a bit of minging breakfast a few weeks previously. 

A shame as it used to be great especially for a big jim or a burger and chips post climb.

Seconded what someone has already said about the chippy near the Crib Goch shop, I was there Friday just as it started getting busy. Great food. 

I agree with you about the standard of the food they produce - somewhat lower than it used to be and not always properly cooked. Cheap beans and eggs are easy to spot and only ever suggest that quality has taken a back seat to profit.

AMorris 13 May 2019

I may not be old enough to have known it 'back int' day', but I cannot remember a time when Pete's wasn't a stalwart disciple of the "quantity over quality" philosophy of catering. I suspect anything you considered might have been a healthy option, merely had the illusion of being healthy when the baseline is their fry ups...

Having said this, yeah I noticed they didn't have their 'specials' board this weekend too.

Offwidth 13 May 2019

I was there the week before Easter and it was the same cheap and cheerful volume. A few miles away is this lovely place: http://www.caban-cyf.org

In reply to Offwidth:

Yes Caban is great but was hosting BMC international meet yesterday evening 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...