UKC

What's it like living around Matlock?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ChrisBrooke 30 Jun 2020

I've seen a house I like the look of in Darley Hillside, near Stancliffe Hall. I was wondering what it's like around there: Darley Dale, Matlock etc.

We're currently live in Sheffield (and have both worked from home for years, so can pretty much live where we like) and are very happy, but my wife is a Rightmove addict and is always on the lookout for 'something nicer'. Of course I've driven through the area, been out to dinner in Matlock from time to time, climbed in the area (Wildcat/High Tor/Cratcliffe etc - loads of great stuff around there obviously), but what's it like living there? As I don't have direct knowledge for that area I want the local beta: i.e. 'don't live near Darley Dale, it's a crime riven cesspool, and that's an improvement on Matlock....' etc. 

Thanks UKC.

wilkie14c 30 Jun 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Watch the film ‘dead mans shoes’ then decide....

OP ChrisBrooke 30 Jun 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

Good, good. Sounds promising. 

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

My bro lives in Wirksworth and loves it.  No obvious crime that he has mentioned.  I visited one pub which was crappy but The Feather Star is a cracker.  Lots of walks nearby too.  He hasnt made any complaints.

jasonC abroad 30 Jun 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

If you like Mark Steel he visited it a few years ago for his Mark Steel's In Town series, not sure how valuable his insights will be

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09hrxw2

wilkie14c 30 Jun 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

we are in Belper, down the road from from Matlock. We love it here, open spaces for the dog to walk off lead, great local cycling and walking, 30 mins from bouldering and climbing, great local high street and shops means we very rarely need to go into Derby. 

Matlock will be extremely busy in school holidays etc (well, Matlock Bath anyway) so you’ll have some traffic issues etc 

Close enough to the national park to make it affordable but close enough to pop in and out without any problems

Post edited at 11:00
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Thanks all. I'll check out that radio programme for more sense of the local colour.

We'd want to be on the Sheffield side of Matlock. This place in Darley Hillside looks quite secluded, but obviously the flavour of the local towns in important.

elliot.baker 30 Jun 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

I also live in Belper and second all this! I was brought up in Derby but probably only have to go a couple of times a year now at most. 

I have friends in Matlock who moved from one house to another within Matlock so they must've liked it.

I like that Matlock is that bit closer to the Peak District, but it's that bit further from Bham where a lot of our family live so that would hold us back from moving there I think.

wilkie14c 30 Jun 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

Hi Elliott! nice to meet another local. We are in Whitemoor, between the medical centre and over lane. Love it here, we moved from Oakwood a year ago and glad to get out of the city. 

In reply to wilkie14c:

I'm in Belper too, and absolutely love it. The nicest place I've ever lived. Just a nice size for a town, and superb country all around. Not far from the Peak, and not too touristy. A happy, working community. No downsides. Very easy to get to Derby and London, as and when necessary. E.g a day trip to London and back is very straightforward.

wilkie14c 30 Jun 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Hi Gordon, for some reason I thought you were up Edale way? Strangely enough I’m on my way to Edale now on the train, going to do the kinder round, nice day for a walk! 

In reply to elliot.baker:

Cheers. At the moment I'm less than 10 mins from Burbage etc and enjoy all the benefits that brings, so any move would have to have similar Peak access, albeit different parts of it of course. 

Siward 30 Jun 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I'm in Heage!

Forgot to say- nice round here, having recently left Derby...

Post edited at 11:32
 wilkie14c 30 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

Amber Valley UKC chapter! We’ll have to have a picnic, dukes quarry or shining cliff anyone? 😁

In reply to wilkie14c:

Socially distanced and no more the 30 attendees...

Lankyman 30 Jun 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Me and my brother bought some guinea pigs at Matlock market in the early 70's. I've never been back.

Edit: just remembered I've climbed on High Tor and Willersley so I must have been back?

Post edited at 13:44
 Clarence 30 Jun 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

I lived in Matlock a few years ago and it is a lovely place to live but you do share it with three counties worth of Sunday tourists. If you stay out of Matlock Bath it is OK, from the Lumsdale and Tansley end you can scoot in and out avoiding the traffic jams. From Hackney it is a little further to go around but the country lanes are quiet enough. 

SI-WISE 30 Jun 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

I have lived in Darley Dale for the last 20 years and moved into the Darley Hillside area about 4 years ago. Love it up here, quiet (apart from the sheep now and then!) and the Peak District is pretty much on your doorstep. From Darley Hillside I do plenty of walks over the back to the moors and to Beeley. Theres Stanton Moor which is a nice run. Indian Restaurant nearby is very good as is the Fish and Chip Shop, couple of pubs and assorted shops in easy walking distance and the crime is low. The houses up Darley Hillside are very nice and tend to come with an increased premium from other areas of Darley Dale but worth it for the views and tree lined areas, Hallmoor wood is on the doorstep which is a small area worth walking, even a few rock climbing routes in there if you like rubbish loose rock!!! Just a quiet relaxed, laid back area in my opinion.

In reply to SI-WISE:

I knew eventually a potential neighbour would reply  That's good to know.  Sounds a lot more positive than the 'Dead Man's Shoes' view up-thread.

Looking at View Cottage where Hallmoor Road meets Froggs Hill, which does indeed look quiet. Been on the market for a while though, so although we've not viewed it yet, I was wondering 'what's wrong with it'... is it actually a bad area or something. From what you've said it could be worth a look. 

SI-WISE 30 Jun 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Hallmoor Road is very quiet, the views are far reaching from that road (not to many neighbours either). Great views of Stanton Moor from there. I know the house you mean, I myself have walked past it many times. To be honest if it hasn't sold for a while it maybe simply the price and/or needs modernising (I'm guessing only due to its age) but in saying that from what I recall that house has massive gardens and outbuildings. To put it another way, if I could sell mine and then convince a bank manager I would love to live there and would do in a heart beat. If you do go for it then the best of luck to you.

In reply to SI-WISE:

Ta. Definitely worth a look then. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...