UKC

What's the point...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 06 May 2020

Since this bloody Covid thing kicked off I've tried to remain positive and I've even endorsed Capt Tom's sentiment - "tomorrow will be a good day"

However every day just seems to bring more and more doom and gloom with depressing statistics, suggestions of ever increasing "surveillance", no vaccine, and long lasting lock downs on over seventies.

The one thing that had kept me going was the thought of being able to get back into the hills, both at home and abroad and make the most of my relative fitness in my autumnal years. To this end I've been walking locally whenever I can to hopefully maintain my fitness. Now, however, with the aforementioned doom and gloom and its particular impact on my age group I am bound to ask "what's the point of staying fit if I might not be able to reap the benefits of it?"

😫

aln 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> my age group

What is your age group?

OP mypyrex 06 May 2020
In reply to aln:

> What is your age group?

I'm 74

Mike Stretford 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:  youtube.com/watch?v=VjEq-r2agqc&

Isn't it Colonel Tom now? I treckon they purposely skipped Major to side step the whole Bowie thing.

Thunderbird7 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

A bit of fresh air always perks me up - better than sitting in the four walls! This will end and I'm dreaming of the walks and climbs I'll do when its over. In 6 months we'll be easing out of it and it will seem like a weird dream.

And I just started reading No Picnic On Mount Kenya after hearing of it on here - being a prisoner of war and fulfilling a dream seems remarkably relevant now.

It'll all be worth it in the end!

john arran 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> Since this bloody Covid thing kicked off I've tried to remain positive and I've even endorsed Capt Tom's sentiment - "tomorrow will be a good day"

I prefer the Black Eyed Peas version of optimism:  "Tonight's gonna be a good night"

Red Rover 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

It's hard to be optimistic or pessimistic because there is so much uncertainty. Has 1 % of the population recovered from the disease or have 50 %? Do we need 20 % for herd immunity or 60 %? Does the virus kill 3 % or 0.1 %? We just don't know so there is no point fixating on good news or bad news. 

I can't see hill walking being off the cards in 2021 still, based on a guess admittedly, but you could realistically be out walking properly again this year. We're in month 5 already so it's not that long even if we wait until december.

Any situation is better if you are fit! 

In reply to mypyrex:

Aye, its hard at the moment. I am sure many people are having mood swings. Some days, the situation can seem manageable, even enjoyable. Other days a creeping depression starts settling in. Its laudable for some people to try and stay cheerful and achieve things. For most of us 'hanging on in quiet desperation' can be more apt.

It is more difficult for those worried about health issues in ourselves and others around us. It is hard for those in their 60's and 70's who furiously keep fit, getting in a few more seasons, thinking, will I get into the hills again? 

I don't know. It will pass, like everything else. Take solace in the small things, I guess. It's hard. 

In reply to mypyrex:

The impact of the virus will pass but brace yourself the effects of the lock down will IMO be longer lasting and more severely felt especially by those younger than us.  I'm 72. Even though I am in the vulnerable age group I am more fearful of the latter. Not for myself but for younger generations.

Al

OP mypyrex 06 May 2020
In reply to all:

Thanks for the responses. Strangely it is comforting to know that others feel similarly. I do counter my pessimism by thinking that if I'm back on the hills by the autumn that won't be too bad.

What does piss me off is the tendency on the part of "experts" and politicians to pigeon hole the likes of us relatively fitter over seventies with those who have serious problems like diabetes, mobility problems, high BMI etc.

profitofdoom 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> Since this bloody Covid thing kicked off I've tried to remain positive..... > However every day just seems to bring more and more doom and gloom........

I understand you and your post

Personally, I'm quite positive that a nice walk up Cwm Idwal and the Glyders will be possible long before winter this year (I would say earlier, but don't want to be shouted down)

im off 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Regarding your own safety, I suspect walking in the hills but self distancing is fine. It just bends these bloody rules maybe. I got the impression than we will soon be allowed more time outside soon. I know its different for older age groups but I'd say go to the hills and be sensible with precautions and try not to bend the rules too much. 

Get a bike? I cycle and the roads are great for that with less traffic about.

Alot of the impact of restrictions depends on if your in a city or countryside I recon.

I think country folk will be coping much better. If you live in the city, as soon as restrictions allow, I'd go hill walking but stay clear of people shops etc etc.

I think the media push at us the worst case scenario alot.

Just my thoughts. Be sensible. Avoid groups. If your situation allows, then push the boundaries abit. But dont risk your safety or others.

wercat 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

One of the huge comforts for us is watching the everyday lives of the garden birds.   The male Blackbird is singing all through the daylight hours and busy feeding 3 youngsters and we've had the drama of his wife losing part of her beak and "self isolating" till she felt a bit better.  It's taken a few days but she's getting about a bit more and has rejoined the feeding effort.   She can't fly properly yet - a lack of upward flight power but she's solved the problem by hopping along and gaining height on foot till she gains a low roof from which she can fly down to repel foreigners who want to take the family food from the family territory. 

We've come to be amazed by how clever these little birds are at  overcoming problems and staying safe, as well as raising young.

It's all going on out there!  Hope you get over this bleak spell.

profitofdoom 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> What does piss me off is the tendency on the part of "experts" and politicians to pigeon hole the likes of us relatively fitter over seventies with those who have serious problems like diabetes, mobility problems, high BMI etc.

Not just <"experts" and politicians>......... since reaching approximately your age range I've been surprised to be pigeon holed by lots of people... "Sit down dear and have a nice cup of tea......" If I set off for the Annapurna BC trek they'd probably think I'd lost it. They should not do that

(RANT OVER)

OP mypyrex 06 May 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Not just <"experts" and politicians>......... since reaching approximately your age range I've been surprised to be pigeon holed by lots of people... "Sit down dear and have a nice cup of tea......" If I set off for the Annapurna BC trek they'd probably think I'd lost it. They should not do that

> (RANT OVER)

Spot on. One consolation I have is that a neighbour is often telling me that I don't look my age.

AndyC 06 May 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

Exactly! I'm a few years younger, but every time I renew my medical for work they ask what medication I'm on, never if I'm taking any. Raised eyebrows when I tell them I'm not taking anything. My blood pressure is generally better than theirs too - they don't like that

Dax H 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Your just having a wobble, it will pass just like C19 will pass. It may take a while but it will pass. 

I work on being optimistic and enjoying the things we can still enjoy. 

Keep away from social media and take news reports with a pinch of salt, yes it's a bad situation but the media love to whip up a good panic because bad news sells. 

profitofdoom 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> Spot on. One consolation I have is that a neighbour is often telling me that I don't look my age.

Long may you enjoy the hills and mountains. I intend to as well - to keep going as long as I possibly can (till I can't physically get out of the house. Then I'll be reduced to shouting at the cat or even grandchildren and telling all and sundry about my close escapes in the mountains - they won't be able to escape from my stories ha-ha-ha - I'll lock the door behind them)

fred99 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> Spot on. One consolation I have is that a neighbour is often telling me that I don't look my age.

Same here. I'm 64, but at work (if I ever get back there) they thought I was early 50's.

I think it depends a lot on what level of physical activity people did when younger. There does seem to be a large percentage of "oldies" who are far fitter, active, and younger looking than people 10, 20 or more years younger. Maybe this is because we grew up in an era when you walked or cycled to school/work, as cars were less accessible, and outdoor activities were more prevalent. Plus there weren't any computers and TV wasn't worth watching so being out playing some sort of sport was the norm.

Those that kept up being active and didn't poison their bodies with fags and (too much) booze are in a much better state than a lot of others.

fred99 06 May 2020
In reply to AndyC:

> Exactly! I'm a few years younger, but every time I renew my medical for work they ask what medication I'm on, never if I'm taking any. Raised eyebrows when I tell them I'm not taking anything. My blood pressure is generally better than theirs too - they don't like that

I keep getting stuff through the post asking to handle my prescriptions - but I have none, nor any need for them. Just because I passed 60 !

fred99 06 May 2020
In reply to im off:

> Regarding your own safety, I suspect walking in the hills but self distancing is fine. It just bends these bloody rules maybe. I got the impression than we will soon be allowed more time outside soon. I know its different for older age groups but I'd say go to the hills and be sensible with precautions and try not to bend the rules too much. 

Do the "powers that be" actually have any real idea of the EXTREMELY LOW level of danger in hillwalking, or do they think that we're all risking our lives (and everybody else's who HAVE TO rescue us) every time we go for a walk. It's the same with many activities. The concept that Joe Public has of many activities is way out compared with the reality.

Now if some completely unfit fatso tries to walk up Ben Nevis in even good weather the likelihood of them having a heart attack must be quite high, whereas most people on this forum would have no problem doing the route, even in slightly adverse weather conditions. But said fatso is going to have that heart attack anyway, just fewer people get involved in dealing with the casualty.

Now if only we could prevent the idiots from going where they really shouldn't, the rest of us could get back and enjoy a very healthy and indeed extremely "social distancing" activity - even better if there was a pub at the end with a decent sized garden to enjoy that "after walk pint" in.

Hooo 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

For me the most important thing is to find something active that you do for the sake of it, not just to stay fit. I've never been able to motivate myself to do something I don't enjoy with the sole purpose of getting fit.

Walking locally can be a chore that you do to maintain fitness, or it can be something you look forward to as an enjoyable activity. The trick is to change your mindset by finding a way to make it interesting. I've started running locally through the woods. I used to hate running, but getting out in the early morning with the only other creatures around being wild animals, added to the mental challenge of picking every step on the rough paths, has made it something I really enjoy.

OP mypyrex 06 May 2020
In reply to fred99:

> Do the "powers that be" actually have any real idea of the EXTREMELY LOW level of danger in hillwalking, or do they think that we're all risking our lives (and everybody else's who HAVE TO rescue us) every time we go for a walk. It's the same with many activities. The concept that Joe Public has of many activities is way out compared with the reality.

Quite. The powers that be and the so-called experts sometimes seem to be more swayed by the misconceptions perpetuated by certain sections of the media.

As something of an aside, when I returned from the EBC trek some years ago the local rag got to hear about it and interviewed me. I described the trek as it is and mentioned that Base Camp is still eleven or twelve thousand feet lower than the summit of Everest. The subsequent headline read "Local Man Climbs Everest". I didn't let the truth spoil a good story.

neilh 06 May 2020
In reply to fred99:

I am 61. The whole thing over the condition of ovr 60's makes me laugh. Everytime a medic says to me " you are  in good health and fit" I smirk and say "that is because I am not a lazy bastard, I keep fit  and I eat well".

The last time was week before lockdown when I had a minor op and the nurse had to check my blood pressure as she could not believe how good it was.

It really does not bother me at all.I am quite happy about it.

Post edited at 13:11
 Graeme G 06 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I’m 20 years your junior and I feel exactly the same. I was all planned to finish my Munro’s, plan for working part time and tick off those easy classics I haven’t done. Take comfort in knowing there are millions of us finding this hard.

The thing is, pre lockdown you had no idea when you’re life would end, fit or otherwise. You just have to keep believing that being fit gives you a better chance of enjoying the good time’s when they come.

Although I should add this comes from one who’s eating and drinking too much during lockdown. It’s just desperate 😢

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...