UKC

Whats wrong with people?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://news.sky.com/story/greta-thunberg-effigy-found-hanging-from-italian...

What is wrong with some of the people on this planet ?

The idea that you would hang or think of hanging a child because you don't like their message or opinion.

As I said on the  Unmatched wisdom thread.

I feel sorry for some people .   They are spiritually and morally destitute. 

It's all just so sad .

Tom Valentine 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Probably some Italian Clarkson fans

jkarran 08 Oct 2019

I look at another way: She frightens people who don't want change because her message is resonating. This is her time now, the tide is maybe finally turning but when it does there will be plenty of Knuts raging at it.

jk

Removed User 08 Oct 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> I look at another way: She frightens people who don't want change because her message is resonating. This is her time now, the tide is maybe finally turning but when it does there will be plenty of Knuts raging at it.

> jk

Well said.

Timmd 08 Oct 2019
In reply to jkarran:

Yes, I think for some that she's a teenager and a female too speaking uncomfortable truths may be an element for some, if the 'media noise' about it being mostly middle aged men who have been getting annoyed at her is to be believed. I generally try not to see isms where none exist though.

Post edited at 15:32
 squarepeg 08 Oct 2019

Any worse than Guy Fawkes night?

Timmd 08 Oct 2019
In reply to squarepeg:

> Any worse than Guy Fawkes night?

Guy Fawkes has been dead for several centuries, and Greta is alive and aware of such things - which may (at worst) encourage some random nutter to act. I'd say yes it is. The world can seem full of nutters at times, but it's not nice for a teenager to be having it done in their name either way.

Post edited at 16:08
Rigid Raider 08 Oct 2019

Ecology movements are doomed to fail because most of the world doesn't give a toss about climate change; people's lives are short, nasty, desperate and they want to enrich themselves at any cost. If that means burning a few hectares of forest to plant palm trees, they don't care. 

I remember recently visting two Indian-owned factories in Dar es Salaam; both had massive mountains of chopped up forest trees piled up outside the boiler rooms ready for burning to make product and enrich the owners.

dunc56 08 Oct 2019

Stop reading this stuff - it's not helping you. 

machine 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Timmd:

I cant stand that Greta girl.

Timmd 08 Oct 2019
In reply to machine:  Where do you think that comes from?

SenzuBean 08 Oct 2019

If you want to help, and sleep better at night knowing you are trying your best - then have a look through this list of climate solutions ranked by effectiveness (https://www.drawdown.org/solutions-summary-by-rank ) - choose one or two you can do, and work towards it (it might take weeks, months or even years). You will feel much better because then you will know you're doing your best, even if not everyone else is - and this will act like a cargo net from when you're feeling low (i.e. you won't hit the ground anymore, because at least you know you're doing your best).

Lusk 08 Oct 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

Silvopasture sounds interesting.
We can have our beef and eat it

FactorXXX 08 Oct 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

> If you want to help, and sleep better at night knowing you are trying your best - then have a look through this list of climate solutions ranked by effectiveness (https://www.drawdown.org/solutions-summary-by-rank )

Refrigerant management is top of that list.
I wonder how many people with older cars get a air con top up every year and not realise that the gas (R134a) is 1430 times more damaging (GWP) than it's equivalent weight in CO2? 
I also wonder how many people would forego a top up if they were aware of the above.

Timmd 08 Oct 2019

> As I said on the  Unmatched wisdom thread.

> I feel sorry for some people .   They are spiritually and morally destitute. .

There will always be such people, the important thing is what we think about them, or how much of our 'mind space' we give to them.

birdie num num 08 Oct 2019

Folks wanted to dance on Thatcher’s grave too.

FactorXXX 08 Oct 2019
In reply to birdie num num:

> Folks wanted to dance on Thatcher’s grave too.

I remember the UKC thread about it.
Pot, kettles, black...

Timmd 08 Oct 2019
In reply to FactorXXX: Hanging effigies of somebody who is alive from bridges isn't any worse than wanting to dance on a dead person's grave?

Bob Kemp 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Timmd:

I'm struggling to work out which logical fallacy is in play here. There's tu quoque, false equivalence and quite possible a red herring involved. 

Tom Valentine 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Timmd:

Here's a bit of whataboutery; if the effigy had sported a permatan and a blonde quiff/combover would there have been as much hand-wringing?

Will Hempstead 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I can get on board with chat of double standards. However, he is an adult who has literally admited on camera to sexually assaulting women, where as she's a teenager protesting against something thats probably going to kill a lot of people, not to mention slowly kill off scottish winter :'(. Obviously hanging an effigy is wrong, whoever it represents. 

Post edited at 00:16
 DaveHK 09 Oct 2019
In reply to machine:

> I cant stand that Greta girl.

If I'm honest I haven't warmed to her but I'm enough of a grown up to recognise that's probably a fault in me rather than her and therefore not something to be crowing about.

mullermn 09 Oct 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> If I'm honest I haven't warmed to her but I'm enough of a grown up to recognise that's probably a fault in me rather than her and therefore not something to be crowing about.

She’s all about preventing warming so I think she’d be happy with that. 

Post edited at 06:32
 SenzuBean 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> Silvopasture sounds interesting.

> We can have our beef and eat it

Yes it will definitely help - but that would mean paying a lot more for meat and whatnot, and directly supporting farmers who are doing this (I don't think you can make this choice from a supermarket - but could be wrong). I'm not up to date with where the current progress on this in the UK is, but there's bound to be lots of people doing it.

jkarran 09 Oct 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

> I'm not up to date with where the current progress on this in the UK is, but there's bound to be lots of people doing it.

I don't think there are. AFAIK you can get woodland raised chicken and eggs in the UK if you look hard enough but nothing else is anywhere close to mainstream. We just have very little woodland.

jk

Ridge 09 Oct 2019
In reply to squarepeg:

> Any worse than Guy Fawkes night?

You mean 5/11?

In reply to Ridge:

11/5, surely?

SenzuBean 09 Oct 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> I don't think there are. AFAIK you can get woodland raised chicken and eggs in the UK if you look hard enough but nothing else is anywhere close to mainstream. We just have very little woodland.

Hmmm, interesting. As far as I'm aware, certain tree species being used as fodder can increase profits without even taking into account environmental benefits (e.g. tagasaste in slightly warmer climates, or white mulberry) - so I'd be surprised if this weren't being done more commonly.
This is one area I'd like to see more people working in - I'm sure these farmers would be very receptive to put in some trees to feed their animals in edge seasons and during droughts.

Ridge 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> 11/5, surely?

This is not America.

In reply to Ridge:

That was precisely my reaction on seeing your post

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...