UKC

Wheatgrass does it work

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neil9216 26 Jan 2013
Hi

Has anyone tried using Wheat-grass.
Apparently it has excellent health benefits and the list of things it cures, fixes or prevents is endless.

So has anyone used it and noticed any results. does it actually work or is it maybe a case of someone taking something and thinking it will do them good then believing it has.

I have tried to research this online and there is very little scientific proof of any the health benefits, However I,m also aware that research is mostly funded by the people that stand to gain the most so it may very well the case that proper research just has not been carried out.

Any info for or against will be greatly appreciated.
If any nutritionists or health professionals can offer any scientific opinions that would great.

Cheers Neil

subalpine 26 Jan 2013
In reply to neil9216: dunno, but may i add chia seeds to the discussion?
 Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2013
In reply to neil9216:

I just had a quick look for any evidence and found almost none. One paper with something to do with chemotherapy seemed to point to a positive effect there.

Given that it's a health fad thing, I would have thought that some research has been tried, but given the lack of any evidence out there, I would conclude that it's quackery.

I certainly wouldn't spend any of my money on it, unless perhaps I had a specific problem and I got some reliable anecdotal evidence that it could be useful for that.
 subalpine 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: sprouting grains and pulses for maximum nutrition is not quackery sonny boy
 Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

This is a review to do with health benefits of wheat generally, and it makes some bald assertions that wheatgrass juice is great, unreferenced. I remain highly skeptical.

http://astonjournals.com/manuscripts/Vol2011/LSMR-22_Vol2011.pdf
 Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2013
In reply to subalpine:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart) sprouting grains and pulses for maximum nutrition is not quackery sonny boy

Didn't say it was. But what's so great about them? I lived with a good friend a while back who was well into her health fads. We ate quite a lot of sprouting whatnots. I identified no change in my health when I started eating them, and noticed no change when I stopped. What should I have been looking for?
 beth_may 26 Jan 2013
In reply to neil9216:

What are you trying to improve by using it? The chances are you'd see more benefit for a variety of problems by eating more fruit and veg for a fraction of the price.

A quick lit search hasn't shown up any papers on it, so I'd take any claims with a pinch of salt.

Try it for a month and see if it works for you. Just be aware that "natural" products often mess up other medication you might be taking.
 Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Quiddity:

Brilliant that! Not looking good for wheatgrass down there, is it?
 Quiddity 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

totally puts 'evidence is weak' in perspective...
 subalpine 26 Jan 2013
> (In reply to neil9216) dunno, but may i add chia seeds to the discussion?

well i will anyway
chia seeds boost endurance- discuss
http://www.livestrong.com/chia-seeds/
 Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2013
In reply to subalpine:

Can't vouch for the validity of this research, but...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S027153170900089X
 digby 26 Jan 2013
In reply to neil9216:

It's as I thought. Maltesers are the only superfood.
 digby 26 Jan 2013
In reply to subalpine:

> well i will anyway
> chia seeds boost endurance- discuss
> http://www.livestrong.com/chia-seeds/

That list of things to do with Chia seeds is about as believable as Lance Armstrong. (Yes I know he's nothing to do with Livestrong now, but the memory lingers on)
 Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2013
In reply to subalpine:

In general, I don't really think there is such as thing as a state of 'enhanced health' that can be achieved by eating special things. If you have a good, sensible diet with loads of fresh fruit and veg and little processed crap, you shouldn't be deficient in anything and you shouldn't have any diet-related health problems (except allergies perhaps).

Once you're healthy, that's it, there's no more you can do. If you want to feel really great all the time, I don't think that can be achieved by diet - it can only be achieved (if it's even possible) by doing all the right things in your life generally: loads of exercise, the right amount of sleep, healthy sex life and relationships/family life, stimulating job offering the just the right amount of challenge (somewhere below between stress and boredom) blah blah. If your life's perfect you're likely to feel great and wake up in the morning wide awake and with a smile on your face thinking "yeah woo hoo I can't wait to get started on another brilliant day", if it's not, you're more likely to feel crap (low energy, no motivation, minor health problems like skin and headaches). And if you have a decent diet, all the other lifestyle stuff will far outweigh any benefits that can be derived from trendy healthfoods.

I don't think you'll agree, but hey, I think it's the truth and it matches my experience.
 digby 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Top answer.
 birdie num num 26 Jan 2013
In reply to neil9216:
Mrs. Num Num had a go at smoking wheatgrass and it just gave her a bad cough.
Daithi O Murchu 27 Jan 2013
In reply to neil9216:

no its on benefits, scrounging plant bastard!!
 Siward 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:

Why is it people are prepared to be so credulous? To believe any old unproven rubbish as if its fact? Perhaps it is a substitute for believing in a deity, nothing else to believe in so let's believe in the health benefits of, I don't know, sun dried hamster skins. Bloody hippies...

MikeTS 27 Jan 2013
In reply to neil9216:

It must be good because it tastes so bad. In our household I stay well to avoid being given it. So, in my case, it works.
In reply to neil9216: Pabulum for hippies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...