UKC

When one door closes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Queenie 10 Feb 2018

Google has not been my friend, so I'm hoping the UKC collective can come good on this.

I have a door that slowly self closes unless stopped. My 2 dogs love to remove and play with/chew the various wedges and the fabric weighted owl I've tried using. They then get themselves locked in the sitting room and get stressed and confused, but don't learn.

I'm thinking that there must be something I can simply jam into the inner edge of the door/frame so stop this happening, but can't find anything when I search...just suggestions to remove the middle hinge screw and bend it before replacing. I don't want to buy a huge metal weight to do the job if it can be avoided.

I swear there has to be something out there for this simple problem. Am I onto a loser? Looking for a simple solution involving zero effort, please.

marsbar 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

These, but put them high up away from paws.  Preferably on the top of the door.  

https://www.things4craft.co.uk/products/door-stoppers-finger-protect-safe-g...

I assume they they will be able to push the door open from mostly closed?  

In reply to Queenie:

A soft rubber door wedge inserted into the hinge gap with door open between the door and frame. If you use a soft one it will stick and remain at whatever height you insert it even if the door is caught by one of your dogs, and also slowly reopen a partly closed door.

Reach>Talent 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

A self closing door is often caused by the door not hanging vertically. If you loosen the screws of the lower hinge, slide in a bit of card or similar thin thing and tighten it up the door should stop swinging closed. (or stop closing at all if it is too thick).

Stichtplate 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

The door has been hung on its hinges slightly skew causing it to swing shut. A bit of trial and error loosening the bottom hinge plate and building up the gap with match sticks before re-tightening, should sort the problem.

Edit:beat me to it.

Post edited at 21:09
 alanblyth 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

Free/Lazy option: Throw a coat over the top of the door, it won't close to a point the dogs can't open it.

Lusk 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

> Looking for a simple solution involving zero effort.

Almost zero effort, tie a piece of string to the door handle and the other end to something that doesn't move.

OP Queenie 10 Feb 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

> A door hook?

Unfortunately that would involve drilling into a solid wall.

OP Queenie 10 Feb 2018
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks, that might work..though they'd be in a tight gap involving a bit of a struggle to let themselves out. 

OP Queenie 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I like this idea best, just need to hunt down a squidgy one now.

Timarzi 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

How about a metal wedge? I think I've seen them. Your dogs might not take it to chew? Though I've known dogs that probably would...

OP Queenie 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Reach>Talent/Stichtplate:

A proper solution, will get this sorted in the not too distant future.

Thanks all

OP Queenie 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Timarzi:

They like moving stuff around too for the hell of it. It might well work though as I doubt it would feel nice in the mouth.

LastBoyScout 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

Replace the hinges with rising butt ones configured to open the door?

Otherwise, go with the suggestions to tweak the hinges with thin card - cereal packet works well.

FactorXXX 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

> Unfortunately that would involve drilling into a solid wall.

Fair enough.
youtube.com/watch?v=lXFjdbux_Ms&

OP Queenie 11 Feb 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

Superb!

Post edited at 07:56
In reply to Queenie:

Google on a well known auction site - I tried to post a link y/day, but was not allowed. Coincidentally the cheaper ones tend to have the softer more flexible rubber and are part hollow underneath which is what your looking out for. Avoid harder rubber, solid, or plastic ones as they will fall out with movement and are less forgiving so damage the wood.

Mine are a few years old now but it seems they are still on sale (assuming same soft rubber construction). 99p each free delivery from an Birmingham supplier. “Brand new rubber door stoppers wedges door jam blocks home office use U.K. seller”.

Mine are really soft and flexible and this is what keeps them in place, allows them to cushion movement and not damage the door. 

Post edited at 09:14
OP Queenie 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks for that, have ordered a couple.

Dax H 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

If they don't work try

https://fantomstop.com/

In my opinion the best flush fitting door stop on the market. 

OP Queenie 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Dax H:

Nice. They look non-obtrusive. Great design.

Steve Hayward 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Queenie:

Rub your door wedge with a Scotch Bonnet chilli.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...