UKC

Where to live in Nottingham?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
voytek 12 Feb 2018

Hi, 

I'm moving down to Nottingham from Edinburgh to start a new job. I envisage living in Nottingham for an extended period of time, however I don't know Nottingham at all. I had my interview and drove back but it's the job I have been looking for for a number of years.

I'll be working on the East of the City centre next to 'Plumptre Hospital', Initially I'm going to rent a room but I would like to purchase a semi-detached or detached house (3-4) bedroom in the Summer. I would love to be able to walk or cycle to work and looking to go for hikes/paragliding on the weekends in the peaks.

Are there anywhere near the city center people recommend? (and  not die - based on some comments Sneinton is more dangerous than down town LA )

Thanks

toad 12 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Do you mean the new Spire hospital by the airport at Plumtree? If so, youre probably looking at lady bay or west bridgford to rent. Its expensive to buy there and there are other options like Sherwood/ Mapperley if you dont mind a longer commute but better Peak access

toad 12 Feb 2018
In reply to toad:

Ah. Sorry. plumptre Hospital exists. My post probably still holds, but south of river not as important

stevieb 12 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Sherwood and mapperley are the traditionally better bits of central Nottingham. I would say both are within distance to walk/cycle but probably not your dream cycle to work. I don’t know how old you are. You’re not too far from Trent uni, but I don’t know where the students tend to live. 

St Ann’s probably the best to avoid. 

West bridgford is also not too far away, definitely cyclable and very nice but fair bit more expensive. 

Lots of decent areas in west Nottingham. Not convenient for walking in but lots of trams and trains 

Wallker 13 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Here is a good list to choose from http://www.visitoruk.com/Nottingham/towns-around.html

voytek 13 Feb 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Thank you for the reply. That's great I have been looking at the Northern parts mentioned. I'm 27, and have moved around all my life, so I'm looking at the house more of an investment than a permanent home. I would like to be able to rent the house/rooms fairly easily when I inevitably get bored and decide to leave. I also don't mind student areas (spent a large portion of my life in universities, first studying and now teaching/research).

What are people's thoughts on Hyson Green/Forestfields?

Thank you in advance

Offwidth 13 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Nottingham is a funny place for housing as things can change from street to street and if you have no kids you can pick up a real bargain at at whatever quality you want. Hyson Green and St Anns are a rough areas but the odd bit is OK. Ditto for the Meadows which is a tad better. Sneinton is a bit better again if still regarded asrough. Forest Fields is good in parts. You can often tell the better bits from the house prices. Sherwood and Mapperley are favoured, with a good mix of shops & pubs but have rougher bits. South of the River is much more expensive and if the city schools improve much more (they are getting better) might be a poor investment as the main determiner on prices is there are good schools (where once all the City schools were poor). Posh is The Park or Mapperley Park. Lots of villages are the preference for some but the commute is a pain. Finally there are many city flats (mainly overpriced in my view) in the vibrant city centre and easy walking distance to work. I live on the south-west edge of Mapperley just inside the city border and over the border from St Anns and drive past your work...  nice quiet place and houses on my estate are underpriced.

Cycling is OK and cycle lanes have improved but you still will likely need to be used to doing so in traffic when you get close to your work near the city centre.

Post edited at 10:13
voytek 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Thank you for the information, its very helpful. Do you by any chance know who are the biggest employers in the city?

E.g. if its the universities, then there will be a lower demand for houses, hence rents/prices will drop near the centre. (The university I am currently working for has had a 26% drop in applications from the EU and 6% drop from outside the EU).

Thanks

voytek 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Chris Harris:

Thank for these, I have gone through these but they are fairly old and mainly family oriented. But still useful.

Thanks

Offwidth 13 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Not true in Nottingham.... both Universities are still recruiting well ... two of the most popular in the UK partly as Nottingham is such a good student city.

In reply to Offwidth:

> Not true in Nottingham.... both Universities are still recruiting well ... two of the most popular in the UK partly as Nottingham is such a good student city.

Same experience by Sheff Uni and Sheff Poly, both still holding up well with recruitment even in STEM, where the big picture demographics and other factors are looking a bit challenging for the next few years.

The Trent Uni campus development over on the Clifton site was starting to look very smart last time I visited.

voytek 13 Feb 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Thank you all for the information. I will start visiting these neighbourhoods as soon as I move down and looking forward to the peaks, alas they are no highlands but c'est la vie.

Its interesting to hear about the universities, most of the university staff I know are based in Scottish universities, and their EU applicants for next year have taken a severe hit, and full post graduate/PhD funding for EU is all but non-existent, the latter applies to Northern English universities including Sheffield for Engineering. I'll be working with some of the local universities, so I will find out soon enough, but I figured I might as well ask. Patience is not a virtue I have ever possessed.

Thank you all again.  

Ben07 14 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Hyson green/forest fields/radford are all basically the same area,  I wouldn't want to live there.   St annes  and the meadows  are probably the worst areas in notts

Post edited at 22:12
 blurty 14 Feb 2018
In reply to Ben07:

I really enjoyed living in the Meadows (the old part closer to the river). Great community spirit

doz generale 15 Feb 2018
In reply to blurty:

> I really enjoyed living in the Meadows (the old part closer to the river). Great community spirit

I lived in that area too, Mundella road and Glapton road. Really enjoyed it at the time as I was a student and it was a lively student area but I would imagine it would be a dire place to live if you weren't a student. when I lived there in the late 90s the newer part of the meadows was basically a crime ridden no-go area. 

If you want to live somewhere nice that's still cycleable to the center I would go for West Bridgford, Mapperley, Mapperley park, sherwood or the park (if you are loaded).  

anaeurope 16 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Hyson Green has really improved in recent years, specially the transportation aspect.

It is multicultural and there are lots of nearby shops, pubs, very comunity-like feel to it

Offwidth 16 Feb 2018
In reply to Ben07:

I agree with your other critics. Your view is simplistic and  ignorant. There are OK bits in all those areas. I lived in the old bit of the meadows from 84 to 92 and had few problems and some very good neighbours.I currently live just over the border from St Anns. The actual worst places to live in the City are not even on your list.

winhill 16 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

> Hi, 

> I'm moving down to Nottingham from Edinburgh to start a new job. I envisage living in Nottingham for an extended period of time, however I don't know Nottingham at all. I had my interview and drove back but it's the job I have been looking for for a number of years.

> I'll be working on the East of the City centre next to 'Plumptre Hospital',

You're working in the pizza place?

I guess if you don't have a dream, then how you gonna have a dream come true.

winhill 16 Feb 2018
In reply to anaeurope:

> Hyson Green has really improved in recent years, specially the transportation aspect.

> It is multicultural and there are lots of nearby shops, pubs, very comunity-like feel to it

It was in the paper a couple of weeks ago, some Afghan's busted for selling illegal cigarettes, they reckoned Radford Road was now an Afghan road! I remember when it was West Indian, it was much better then.

ebygomm 17 Feb 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> The actual worst places to live in the City are not even on your list.

Bestwood Estate?

Often seems to be a road closed somewhere round there after an 'incident' overnight

toad 17 Feb 2018
In reply to ebygomm:

maybe A little easier since the Gunns left town?

In reply to ebygomm:

I seem to remember strelley, and Stapleford aka ‘Stabbo’ being reasonably tasty on a Friday night!

In reply to voytek: My brother is CEO of Biocity in Nottingham. They are a big employer and expanding rapidly. It seems like Nottingham and the universities are really thriving.

Chris Harris 18 Feb 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> I seem to remember strelley, and Stapleford aka ‘Stabbo’ being reasonably tasty on a Friday night!

Stabbo has gone aspirational. Locals now call it St Apleford...... 

winhill 19 Feb 2018
In reply to anaeurope:

> Hyson Green has really improved in recent years, specially the transportation aspect.

> It is multicultural and there are lots of nearby shops, pubs, very comunity-like feel to it

No, you're thinking of somewhere else, there aren't any pubs left in Hyson Green, nor Forest Fields.

Offwidth 20 Feb 2018
In reply to winhill:

You really are being strange. Sure most have closed but some are left and some are good and many top pubs are right next door like The Gladstone.. an example:

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/hyson-green/nottinghamshire/

The Park and Mapperley Park have no pubs.

winhill 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> You really are being strange. Sure most have closed but some are left and some are good and many top pubs are right next door like The Gladstone.. an example:

No, I just know the area very well. I got banned from The Clock after watching an England game there and a Scottish woman offered me a fight outside. Landlord took objection to me saying Fine, let's go.

The Clock was never part of The Green, which only really refers to a narrow strip between Radford Road and Noel Street. I had a friend who lived almost next door to the Clock but he never referred to it as The Green, people from outside the area might do (like that website).

The Gladstone is in Carrington, 3 neighbourhoods away from Hyson Green, there are closer pubs if you want close but none in HG or FF.

winhill 20 Feb 2018
In reply to ebygomm:

> Bestwood Estate?

> Often seems to be a road closed somewhere round there after an 'incident' overnight

20 year old woman arrested for murder in Hucknall on Sunday, can it be that bad out there?

Offwidth 20 Feb 2018
In reply to winhill:

The Gladstone as you well know is a few minutes walk from the edge of Forest Fields, not Hyson Green.

winhill 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> The Gladstone as you well know is a few minutes walk from the edge of Forest Fields, not Hyson Green.

10 minutes from the closest part but closer pubs, in order of preference would be The Lion, The Grosvenor, The Doctor's Orders, (OK<these arer worse) The New Inn, The Royal Oak, The Pelham, The Raven.

All closer and probably explaining why you don't see many from HG or FF in The Gladstone.

Offwidth 21 Feb 2018
In reply to winhill:

Boy do you walk slow. I make it about 300-400m from the edge of the Nottingham Road border of Forest Fields to the Gladstone. How would you know who the people are in there? I'm in there at least twice a month and I live in Mapperley. You keep making stupid generalised snotty posts and are picky on daft things. There are really good pubs in the general local area in the same way as if you lived in posh Mapperley Park over the Mansfield Road and no one loses when a drug and trouble ridden shit place closes. The best pubs have never been better in Nottingham and the beer is amazing compared to the Shipstones/Home quality deserts, sadly supported by local Camra, when I arrived in 84. Pub violence and hostility to outsiders from locals was way more common back then too.

Post edited at 09:17
 winhill 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> when I arrived in 84.

You get so insanely childish about this that I simply don't believe you were born before 2004.

voytek 23 Feb 2018
In reply to winhill:

> You're working in the pizza place?

I wish!!!!

No, I'll be working in the Biocity building - not allowed to eat while at work, too many chemicals - so no Pizza

voytek 23 Feb 2018
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> My brother is CEO of Biocity in Nottingham. They are a big employer and expanding rapidly. It seems like Nottingham and the universities are really thriving.

Hah, it seems I'll be (sort of) working for your Brother! 

Post edited at 10:01
 stevieb 23 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Ah, if you're working at Bio City, I will slightly change my reply.

Coming from West Bridgford/Ladybay in the south or from the west of the city it would be easy to get to Bio City by bike along the canal meaning hardly any busy multi-lane roads. Probably also cycle paths from the east.  

For cycling in, I reckon you could consider the west of the city, Dunkirk or Beeston.

toad 23 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Certainly for work convenience, Bridgford would be best- in fact i bet youve already been viewing my neighbours house

voytek 23 Feb 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Thank you, for that information. I will need to keep an eye out when I move down, although I don't know if I can afford a three bedroom in West Bridgford initially. 

Chris Harris 23 Feb 2018
In reply to voytek:

Carlton area maybe? 

ebygomm 23 Feb 2018
In reply to toad:

Mapperley top would be a nice freewheel to work every morning.

Not quite as much fun on the way home.

voytek 23 Feb 2018
In reply to ebygomm:

> Mapperley top would be a nice freewheel to work every morning.

> Not quite as much fun on the way home.

I have been thinking of electrifying my bike for a while, maybe a good incentive

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...