UKC

whipped cream & egg custard, vegan alternatives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 25 Sep 2018

A friend with a cafe who give me a free birthday cake each year, has found that she's egg and dairy intolerant, which is annoying for her as she likes the trifle I make to the family recipe, which I intended to make for her upcoming birthday.

Has anybody come across any vegan alternatives to whipped double cream* (with egg whites in) and egg custard which taste just about the same. 

*It's Elmlea actually, now  I think of it.

Ta.

girlymonkey 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Personally, I would try to find something else which is as tasty which is vegan. I have made vegan chocolate cream puddings which are creamy due to the addition of avocado puree. There are bound to be many good ones out there, and they will almost certainly be better than vegan alternatives for a trifle. 

OP Timmd 25 Sep 2018
In reply to girlymonkey: You might be right. She's a bit miffed, because of how she likes it. It might turn into one of those quests which takes a while, in me making alternatives when I come across them until I find the right one. I already have the sponge alternative sorted. 

Anymore suggestions welcome peeps,...

Post edited at 21:53
 Sealwife 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Alpro do a dairy free fresh custard which is not bad.

skog 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

As someone who has spent some time being vegan, I'm not aware of a good alternative to whipped double cream. Soya cream exists, and is not necessarily bad, but it really is not the same thing.

On the custard front, there is better news - Alpro vanilla soya custard is really rather good, to the point that my kids actually ask for it. It may be to runny for your needs here, though.

Edit - it seems that I type too slowly.

Post edited at 21:53
OP Timmd 25 Sep 2018
In reply to skog:

Thinking about it, she might just be dairy intolerant, which would simplify the egg custard, with that being sugar and milk and egg yolks, I could maybe use an oat milk instead, which just leaves the cream. 

girlymonkey 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Yes, must be gutting to suddenly have a difficult diet and miss out on favourite dishes, she has my sympathy.

I tend to feel that replacements for most things are just a disappointment. It could just ruin a favourite pudding. 

Good luck finding something suitable!

Sealwife 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I have made a creamy textured buttercream/topping type thing from creamed coconut and icing sugar.  It doesn’t taste anything like fresh cream but it is white and has a similar bulk.

Buy a tin or two (depending on how much you need), pop into fridge until well chilled. Do NOT shake the can.  Open can carefully, the contents should have separated into clear liquid, which you can discard, and solid, creamy coconut.  Put this into a bowl and gently beat in sifted icing sugar.  Don’t go mad beating it or it will go runny.

dread-i 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Custard is easy to make. Use corn flour and a non milk alternative (coconut or hazelnut would be my preference.) A splash of valilla essence, some sugar and that's pretty much it. If you wanted it yellow, then a drop of colouring would do it. If you're worried about it not being eggy, then simply cal it coconut / hazelnut custard. If it's too thin, add more corn flour and bring to the boil.

I appreciate that your friend is not vegan, but there may be some reading this that are, jelly is not vegan. Your local friendly Indian supermarket will have jelly, which is made with agar instead of dead cows.  

Does your trifle have sponge in it? I guess you've already sorted out a vegan sponge recipe.

Jaidigi 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Bird's Eye custard (the bog standard stuff in a powder) is vegan - just make it up with soya milk rather than cow juice Single soya cream can be made in to double cream by adding something like either lemon juice or pineapple juice but not sure if that will go thick enough for you (would probably need to add a bit of sugar to it too to counteract the juice).  

Mike-W-99 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Never tried it but how about aquafaba meringues.

OP Timmd 30 Sep 2018
In reply to dread-i: The sponges are sorted I think. It's a tirimasu (sp) trifle rather than a jelly and tinned custard one. I think things with soya in have a bit of a background taste which I'm wanting to avoid, but there's been some good suggestions from folks.  I have a month and a bit to figure it all out.   

Removed User 30 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike-W-99:

>  Never tried it but how about aquafaba meringues.

I've had a go a couple of times and not really had much success. But I think if you a) use an electric whisk or a stand mixer and b) don't be too stingy with the sugar you'll probably have better luck; mine pretty much collapsed into pale beige puddles when baked.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...