UKC

Who is leaving? ...John

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 19 Sep 2019

Humphries is leaving BBC Radio 4's breakfast programme, Today.

I know a lot of you think that he has been over the top in his interviewing, but I will miss his approach, which can actually be genial from time to time. Obviously he won't be missed as much as John Redhead.

Offwidth 19 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

Long overdue. His trademark style was fair enough when dealing with seriously evasive politicians but he could be aggresive and rude to almost anyyone.

steve taylor 19 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

I won't miss him. His voice dies off regularly while he's talking, so I don't hear what he says - most frustrating. This probably sounds harsh, but his voice/speech pattern is not suited for radio!

Jon Stewart 19 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

I think he's a dick. 

youtube.com/watch?v=VdOr5FpLKR8&

Postmanpat 19 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

It's overdue. But, having said that, I've just discovered that he started in journalism in the year that I was born and joined the BBC when I was 8 so, a bit like the queen, he's always been there. It'll be a bit weird when he's not. I'll have to find somebody else to shout at....

Nempnett Thrubwell 19 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

As with everyone who leaves after a long tenure - They will be immediately compared with their replacement

Then dependent on how the replacement holds up - people will either be crying out for his return - or questioning why he didn't go sooner.

OP veteye 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Not much Humphries in that...

krikoman 19 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

Can we do a two for one and get rid of Jeremy Vine too?

OP veteye 19 Sep 2019
In reply to krikoman:

I don't have a problem w Jeremy Vine, as I don't seem to tune into his programmes; but I seem to remember him being a bit much.

In reply to veteye:

He often drives me mad with his thing of asking the same question over and over, even though the answer given is the only answer he's going to get, thus allowing no time to actually ask other questions.

john arran 19 Sep 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> He often drives me mad with his thing of asking the same question over and over, even though the answer given is the only answer he's going to get, thus allowing no time to actually ask other questions.

That's actually not the worst plan. If a politician is not prepared to answer uncomfortable questions, they should not then be given further airtime to answer only the ones they choose.

What irritates me most about a lot of interviewers is when they're presented with an outright lie and they simply move on to another pre-planned question without challenging the lie.

In reply to john arran:

> That's actually not the worst plan. If a politician is not prepared to answer uncomfortable questions, they should not then be given further airtime to answer only the ones they choose.

> What irritates me most about a lot of interviewers is when they're presented with an outright lie and they simply move on to another pre-planned question without challenging the lie.

I agree if that is the case but I have heard him repeat questions for which a reasonable reply has been received. Just not the one he wants.

In reply to krikoman:

> Can we do a two for one and get rid of Jeremy Vine too?

Yes please. Or should it be Jeremy Whine?

hokkyokusei 19 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

Thank f*ck for that. Completely out of his depth on any topic that even vaguely strayed into science and technology.

Rob Exile Ward 19 Sep 2019
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Absolutely. And he often missed clear open goals because answers he received weren't answers he was expecting, and he wasn't clever enough to pick up.

He was also a bully, who completely caved in if he came up against someone tougher - senior armed force officers regularly crushed him, and Ken Clarke never seemed to be unduly stressed either.

Tyler 19 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

It'd be good if he was replaced by Emma Barnett

wercat 19 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

A fitting end would be a broadcast on Today where he can be savaged and held to account for his broadcasting style by those he has savaged

I thought he gave Cameron, who is pretty contrite as politicians go, a pretty shitty deal today after fawning on blair

In reply to wercat:

I can't stand the ultra-biased right-wing Humphrys, but Cameron was on the ropes today. Couldn't answer any question except in a mealy-mouthed, extraordinarily complacent, self-satisfied way. Basically = 'I did everything right'. Tried to persuade us that he campaigned to Remain with 'every fibre of his being' ... but what's he done since? NOTHING. He's now supporting Johnson in trying to """find a new deal.""" Perhaps the most revolting case of a politician putting party before country in our entire history.

Rob Exile Ward 20 Sep 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

In a fit of madness I bought Cameron's book yesterday.

Having ground my way through the first 50 pages it's a decision I regret.

But I have learnt something - apparently 2010 - 2016 were years of unprecedented prosperity, harmony, social reform  and economic success, all as a result of Dave's vision. Who knew?

In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Thanks for the warning, Rob. Not that I had any intention of getting it. 

Lusk 20 Sep 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> In a fit of madness I bought Cameron's book yesterday.

I'm waiting until the charity shops shelves are full of them, should be able to pick up a copy for about 50p.

HB1 22 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

Obviously he won't be missed as much as John Redhead. . .

or, indeed, by Brian

Pedro50 22 Sep 2019
In reply to HB1:

>  Obviously he won't be missed as much as John Redhead. . .

>                           or, indeed, by Brian

Climber's Freudian slip

duchessofmalfi 22 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

I'm not sure it will command as much as 50p...

Removed User 22 Sep 2019
In reply to HB1:

Or Jack de Manio.

In reply to Lusk:

> I'm waiting until the charity shops shelves are full of them, should be able to pick up a copy for about 50p.

I won’t be buying one at that price.

jcm

Le Sapeur 22 Sep 2019
In reply to veteye:

Give it a few weeks and he will be forgotten. Today has a strong team who will easily fill his shoes without problem. 

OP veteye 23 Sep 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

oops

wercat 23 Sep 2019
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

nah, retune from Home to Light and listen to Billy Cotton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...