UKC

Whois Eurid (.euugh)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 07 Jan 2021

I know that there's a few other .eu domain owners on UKC affected by the glorious nationalistic gift that keeps on giving - Brexit, and was wondering what actions you've taken.

I'm a UK national resident in a EU state, so eligible to keep my domain.  I assumed that updating the whois contact details would be enough to satisfy Eurid, but a zdnet article I came across suggested that this would only work until end of March, at which time the domain will enter the suspended state.  The Eurid website simply says that UK nationals in EU member states, or EU nationals in the UK, need to demonstrate eligibility, but give no clues how to do this.  

What have other impacted .eu domain holders done - simply updated whois details (as I've done) or have you taken additional actions?

Sorry - boring thread for 99.5% of UKCers.

Andy Gamisou 08 Jan 2021
 AndyC 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> In a related vein:

Can hope that the last paragraph in the article is correct - 

"But a grace period, lasting until 31 March this year, allows registrants to transfer suspended domain names to an EU-based owner, or any person with EU citizenship".

I haven't seen the zdnet article. My registrar said that updating Whois to a EU/EEA address would be sufficient. Whois doesn't record nationality, so I don't know how EURID would verify your citizenship / eligibility to hold a domain registered to an EU address. 

Andy Gamisou 08 Jan 2021
In reply to AndyC:

> Can hope that the last paragraph in the article is correct - 

> "But a grace period, lasting until 31 March this year, allows registrants to transfer suspended domain names to an EU-based owner, or any person with EU citizenship".

> I haven't seen the zdnet article. My registrar said that updating Whois to a EU/EEA address would be sufficient. Whois doesn't record nationality, so I don't know how EURID would verify your citizenship / eligibility to hold a domain registered to an EU address. 

Ah, will see if the whois contact details works beyond end of March.  You're right looking at the whois records - address but no nationality.  Doesn't affect me as in my case it's the address in EU member state that's important.  Wonder what EU nationals in UK with a .eu domain are supposed to do.

AndyC 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

The Eurid website has a couple of recent news articles - my interpretation is that if you haven't received any notification from them, and your domain has not already been suspended, then you are going to be fine:

https://eurid.eu/en/news/update-on-brexit-related-domain-names/

Edit: I was wrong about the citizenship record - there is an option for your registrar to add your citizenship to the Whois data - this would work for EU citizens living in the UK.

Post edited at 15:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...