UKC

Wifi smart doorbell - anyone got one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 15 Jan 2018

After missing yet another courier today (I work from home) I'm thinking of getting a WIFI doorbell with video capability.

Has anyone got any first hand experience of any of these? I'd like something that can connect to my home WIFI, and allow several devices (phones and tablets) to be able to 'answer' the door. Ideally I'd like to be able to see the caller, and talk back through my phone. 

I know there are several on the market but there's no substitute for first-hand experience.

I'm tempted by Ring which seems the frontrunner but open to other suggestions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-88RG000FC01-Wi-Fi-Enabled-Doorbell-Satin-Chro...

snoop6060 16 Jan 2018
In reply to yorkshire:

What's the point of remotely telling a courier you are not in? I mean pretty sure they can work that out. It's not as if you can tell them to come to your work and drop it off. 

Post edited at 13:56
 two_tapirs 16 Jan 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

A louder doorbell would be a lot cheaper if you work from home.

Bogwalloper 16 Jan 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

You can tell them where to hide it.

I actually gave up though. Most of the couriers round here couldn't find their own arse with both hands. Fortunately they can find the local supermarket which have a depot facility and is only 5 minutes away.

W

OP yorkshireman 16 Jan 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

> What's the point of remotely telling a courier you are not in? I mean pretty sure they can work that out. It's not as if you can tell them to come to your work and drop it off. 

I work from home a lot, so the main problem isn't me not being in, its missing them when I am in.

But the main problem is getting to the front door from my home office often can't be done in the time it takes for a courier to give up and leave. Also if I'm on conference call which I seem to spend most of my day on then its potentially a lot easier to tell someone to hang on a minute while I extricate myself from the meeting.

plyometrics 16 Jan 2018

I have a similar problem. My office is on the top floor of the house. In the 30 seconds or so that it takes me to get to the front door, the courier’s usually well on the way to their next job. 

ChrisBrooke 16 Jan 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

I work in an office in the garden. When I’m expecting a delivery I just put a note on my door asking them to call my mobile, which they always do. Pen, paper and sellotape: old school and requires no WiFi connection  

OP yorkshireman 17 Jan 2018
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> I work in an office in the garden. When I’m expecting a delivery I just put a note on my door asking them to call my mobile, which they always do. Pen, paper and sellotape: old school and requires no WiFi connection  

I live in a remote valley with very dodgy mobile reception. We've got 80kph wind and snow today so paper wouldn't last long. And we need a doorbell anyway.

So it sounds like nobody has any first hand experience of smart doorbells. Well I've ordered the Ring (somebody has to be a first-mover) and will report back on whether it changes my life

Brian Mcculloch Glasgow 17 Jan 2018

Thank you for enlightening me on that. Looking forward to getting one soon.

I know certain brands can take photos of people ringing the doorbell, potentially putting off or snapping burglars sniffing around pre-break in. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...