UKC

Wild camping or not...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A place just down the road from me is offering punters the opportunity to partake in 'wild camping' in their meadow. As you have to pay and presumably the owners don't want to be picking up poo so there are toilets available as well, is this a new definition of 'wild camping' that I'm not hip enough to know about? 

My wife and I are off to do a bit of 'wild walking' around the garden, might play a spot of croquet too!

montyjohn 02 Sep 2022
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Nah, if the place you camp is pre-determined by where you have paid to stay, it's not wild camping.

At best it's 'scenic camping' if it really needs a new term. Which it doesn't. We could just stick with calling it camping. Albeit it in a spacious site with poor facilities.

Edit: I think the owners have downvoted you!

Post edited at 15:51
 kevin stephens 02 Sep 2022

I’m guessing that in this context “wild” means not registered with/autorised by the appropriate local authorities

SouthernSteve 02 Sep 2022

I refer you to the recent, but now now deleted ' Wild everything' post. As the author said - a much overused word. You can set up a small campsite for 28 days with minimal permissions so may not be a permanent feature. 

Philip 02 Sep 2022

Lot of wild ... bashing, but I think it's a fair adjective to use these days to imply the traditional form of things not the organised/sanitised version (open swimming vs wild swimming) but camping in a meadow with toilets 🤣🤣

CantClimbTom 02 Sep 2022

I think the original post may have been a typo, surely that describes "Mild Camping"?

Dax H 02 Sep 2022

I posted this same thing a couple of weeks ago, a sign on a farm gate saying Wild Camping and an arrow pointing in to the farm. 

SouthernSteve 02 Sep 2022
In reply to Dax H:

If it stops people crapping all around otherwise attractive lakes in Cumbria 👍

The Lemming 02 Sep 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

> Nah, if the place you camp is pre-determined by where you have paid to stay, it's not wild camping.

Hmmm, not so sure.

Back in the day camping at "Eric's Caff" with only access to a cold tap to wash both yourself and pans, would that be wild camping?

At least you had a cafe with all the greasy spoon trimmings and an excellent crag to climb on before returning to your spartan settings.

Bottom Clinger 02 Sep 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> I think the original post may have been a typo, surely that describes "Mild Camping"?

I don’t. I think the field owners are called Mr and Mrs Wild. 

Post edited at 21:32
 The Lemming 02 Sep 2022

For me, wild camping is an idealism, for example camping roughly 1,000ft up and normally above the last drystone wall. Or camping out in the middle of nowhere like Knoydart.

Bottom Clinger 02 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

> For me, wild camping is an idealism, for example camping roughly 1,000ft up and normally above the last drystone wall. Or camping out in the middle of nowhere like Knoydart.

Or pitching your tent in Wigan town centre on a Friday night. Now there’s a challenge. 

The Lemming 02 Sep 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> Or pitching your tent in Wigan town centre on a Friday night. Now there’s a challenge. 

Sadly that happens in every town or city at the moment and is likely to become more prevalent in the current economic landscape.

Dave the Rave 02 Sep 2022

I grew up near the Roaches, and used to use the farmers field opposite the tearoom.

That felt pretty wild on a rough night. Pay your 40 p per night and you can walk down the road again for a crap if you want.

Rarely anyone on the sight and you could practically do what you wanted as a teenager, including shooting each other with air pistols

As we grew up, haha, we used to get served in the Three Horeshies aged 15, as we wore ex army clobber. My mate, had 5 pints of cider and puked in the tent. Next day I put my arm in my camouflage Barbour jacket and it was sticky. I had to wear this coat for the next 3 days with a bin bag on the arm for protection. Every step caused a waft of Palmers cider puke to envelop me.

Got to Buxton in the pissing rain and realised we weren’t going to Edale that day. Saw a big lawn at the bottom of the road into Buxton after the Macc turn off and asked nicely to pitch up. No worries, we could even use the crumbling caravan to cook! Sustained we went to the nearest pub down the road and we’re told halves only. 4 halves each, 4 mars bars, 4 packs of cheese and onion and a result of a holiday.

The Barbour still lives 40 years on, and still has  a pink hue of vomit to the lining and a waft of cider sick.

CantClimbTom 02 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

It's all wagons and lotus tents now. Camping and Yurts are passé, just so last season.

Liking the story Dave the rave, that's a proper childhood, not the namby pamby ones of today. If the sleeve lining is still pink stained then must have been a snakebite and black not plain cider?

Post edited at 22:42

A 'pop-up campsite'.

I think they were introduced during covid lockdown, with eased regulations.

Jenny C 03 Sep 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

> A 'pop-up campsite'.

> I think they were introduced during covid lockdown, with eased regulations.

Not new (loads round here for the tour de France weekend), but changes to rules during covid allowed them to operate for more nights per year.

To me wild camping means zero facilities, so having to be totally self sufficient in terms of waste, water etc.

Sounds like a basic (I have heard them called 'cold tap') site with minimal facilities besides toilets, drinking water and rubbish bins. Tbh this is the kind of site I like, preferably also with showers but not much else.

In reply to Jenny C:

I know it sounds like the onset of serious middle age but now find the Camping and Caravan Club certificated sites pretty good. Limited numbers, basic facilities. Some even have a shower. Served me well in the last couple of years. Avoid the big sites. They're like an outtake from Hi-de-Hi!

Billhook 04 Sep 2022

Well there's also "wild glamping".  

The upper middle classes are soooo, into it these days.  Hot showers, comfy four poster beds, drapes, carpets, drinky poos, personal waiters & toilets. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...