UKC

Windermere pub suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Peacock 07 Mar 2019

I'm heading to the Lakes next weekend, with a base in Windermere. I'm not used to staying so far south in the park and, apart from occasionally popping into Booths whilst driving past, I don't really know the place. Does anyone have any good pub suggestions? Good beer/cider are a must, and decent food would be an added bonus.

climber34neil 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Mike Peacock:

If you don't mind a short drive then go to badger bar , rydal  for beer and food or just go to the golden rule in Ambleside for beer, pork pies and scotch eggs 

plyometrics 07 Mar 2019

Catch the train (5 mins) to Staveley and fill your boots at the Eagle & Child and or Hawkshead Brewery. 

OP Mike Peacock 07 Mar 2019
In reply to climber34neil:

Thanks. I've been to the Badger Beer a few years back and remember it being good but ideally our plan involves everyone having a few drinks (so no driving).

In reply to plyometrics:

Ooh, that's an interesting suggestion. I like the Hawkshead beers and, having just googled, their Beer Hall looks great. It seems I was labouring under the misapprehension that the brewery was in Hawkshead.

Baron Weasel 07 Mar 2019

Come and visit me at the New Union in Kendal. We've just won camra branch pub of the year and cider pub of the year. Lots of climber, caver, cycle type folks rehydrate here

plyometrics 07 Mar 2019

Defo worth a trip, Staveley’s a cool village and both venues are nice and chilled out. Bus service runs too so you’ll not struggle to get to and from. You could even walk there to earn your pint!

Apologies for not recommending anywhere specific in Windermere BTW. The spots there tend to be a bit more touristy. 

In reply to Baron Weasel:

Sounds great, but possibly pushing the distance out a little too much from Windermere now

Baron Weasel 07 Mar 2019

I could even give you a lift back to windermere on Saturday as ilI' be heading that way at closing time!

In reply to plyometrics:

I did wonder if there'd be anywhere decent in Windermere. Over the years I don't recall anyone mentioning any really good pubs there. And I guess Staveley is walking distance, but maybe not the nicest walk along the main road there.

keith sanders 07 Mar 2019

I live in Staveley and yes the Brewery is great good beer and good but small meals , and the Eagle and Child serve good food We often go to Windermere to the Pig up in the main street for a good meal and beer only small but good .

keith s

Mal Grey 07 Mar 2019

Seem to remember there's a bit more choice down the road in Bowness.

Staveley and the Eagle and Child definitely worth a visit. Watermill at Ings is good too.

elliptic 07 Mar 2019

Back in the day the Hole in t' Wall was the default option in Bowness.

plyometrics 07 Mar 2019

Get yourself on the Dales Way to avoid the road. Some beautiful landscape to be enjoyed in that section. 

Either way, hope you have a great visit!

Thanks for the extra suggestions, all. The Pig looks pretty decent (and convenient too).

Gone for good 07 Mar 2019

Has anyone mentioned the Crafty Baa? I popped in for a few a couple of times last summer and thought it was a decent pub. Fairly new to Windemere. 

https://thecraftybaa.business.site/

Post edited at 14:49
 Ridge 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> Has anyone mentioned the Crafty Baa? I popped in for a few a couple of times last summer and thought it was a decent pub. Fairly new to Windemere. 

Does it do beer on tap? I thought it was bottles only?

Gone for good 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ridge:

They do guest ales. Some very good ones if I recall correctly. Certainly there was beer on tap. 

Over 100 beers?! That looks just my thing. Cheers for the recommendation.

Ridge 07 Mar 2019

> They do guest ales. Some very good ones if I recall correctly. Certainly there was beer on tap. 

Thanks, good to know!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...