UKC

WORDLE - again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thread auto-archived as it is too large
 Martin Hore 09 Feb 2022

The last WORDLE thread was archived having reached it's size limit.

Got today's in 4 - just - but it brings up an issue which I can't describe without a big spoiler. It was bound to crop up sooner or later. What are other WORDLE adicts' thoughts?

Martin

toad 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Not the first time it's happened 

Tom Valentine 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Some thoughts expressed on the 9.02 thread

nikoid 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

It's a funny one isn't it?

In reply to Martin Hore:

FYI you can use spoiler tags

Like this

Just enclose the text in the tags (but without the spaces around the word spoiler):

[ spoiler ][/ spoiler ]

DundeeDave 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Hoping this spoiler thing works:

There is the Hippocratic word, bit obscure maybe

OP Martin Hore 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Some thoughts expressed on the 9.02 thread

Can't find that. Sorry if I've duplicated. What was the title?

Martin

Tom Valentine 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

_ _ _ _ _ _     _ _ _ _ _ _ _

timjones 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

It's an international game, it has to happen sometimes.

mbh 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Oh, I have been alert to the

American spelling possibility
from the outset, so no problem with me. My 3rd try looked nothing like the final answer, but given what I had done by then it could only one of three after that.

OP Martin Hore 09 Feb 2022
In reply to timjones:

> It's an international game, it has to happen sometimes.

I hope it's late enough in the day now to be more open about the issue. I disagree with you. If it was an American game then American spelling would be entirely appropriate. If it's an international game then there's a strong case for restricting the allowable answers to words which are spelled the same in all the main English speaking countries. I think Americans sometimes believe that the majority of English speakers reside in the US.  But I suspect the majority of people with competency in English sufficient to enjoy WORDLE reside neither in the US nor the UK. A great many of them reside in in the Indian sub-continent and they almost certainly use English spellings.

Whether an international game or not, it is, however, just a game....

Martin

timjones 10 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I think that it once again comes down to what different people want from a game.

I see no harm in rewarding those with a greater knowledge of a language and it's variations.

Jamie Wakeham 10 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

It's not the first time it's happened - I agree it's a bit annoying when you encounter it for the first time, but then you just keep in mind the fact that they're on a US dictionary. 

edit: I would like to think I'd have got it without any hints.  I'd seen people grumbling in several places, though, so I was very alert to the fact that there was something 'off' with this one and therefore I was thinking about US variations from the outset!

Post edited at 10:45
 felt 10 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I love US spellings, freshens things up a bit and puts the Little Englanders in a terrible quandary, what with BrEng's nod to the perfidious French.

Anyway, my first two-er today.

Wordle 236 2/6

⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pedro50 10 Feb 2022

So there's Wordle, one game per day, presumably the one bought by the NYT for $1M, and then there's Wordle-Play with unlimited games. Why did the NYT bother or have I missed something?

Carless 10 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Lucky with the starter today

Wordle 236 3/6

⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

ExiledScot 10 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

There are loads on Google play, wordly... and more. 

OP Martin Hore 10 Feb 2022
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Sorry Jamie if my "non-spoiler" original post actually acted as a spoiler for you. 

Martin

Jamie Wakeham 10 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Oh, don't give it a moment's thought!  The wailing and gnashing of teeth on Facebook was much more prominent!

Edit - and this thread has taught me about the spoiler tags, which I hadn't known about before, so I'm pleased about that.

Post edited at 19:02
 Moacs 10 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Clicks.

They'll have looked at where the footfall is

David Alcock 11 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Anyone still keeping track of their average? I'm still around 3.9. I was reading some stuff about various solvers coders have written, and they seem to average around 3.6 - 3.7.

I'm intrigued as to why the computers aren't much better than that. I understand all we're doing is aiming for the fastest reduction of available choices, so human and computer will have the same approach. (Unless we're playing random guesses!) 

Maybe it's because the game is too simple for a computer to have much of an advantage within the constraints? 

toad 11 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Never mind spelling. They have changed the FONT! Damn those USians

OP Martin Hore 11 Feb 2022
In reply to David Alcock:

> Anyone still keeping track of their average? I'm still around 3.9.

3.93 for me. I'm now using the same two starting words each time which exhausts all the letters that score 1 in scrabble: a,e,i,o,u,l,n,r,s,t. That means I can't score under 3 (unless one of my two starter words crops up as the answer of course). But it does seem to keep my max score to 4. Today was tricky though.

Martin

In reply to Martin Hore:

Agree, with the same two good starter words you can pretty much guarantee you will complete it in 4 attempts on average...which suggests to me the game might become boring soon

mountainbagger 11 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

> 3.93 for me. I'm now using the same two starting words each time which exhausts all the letters that score 1 in scrabble: a,e,i,o,u,l,n,r,s,t. That means I can't score under 3 (unless one of my two starter words crops up as the answer of course). But it does seem to keep my max score to 4. Today was tricky though.

> Martin

3.79 for me from 24 goes, but I have a shameful failure when I first played it so not sure what to do with that! Count it as a 7? If so, gives me 3.92 from 25 goes.

mbh 11 Feb 2022

3.97 for me after 32 goes. I've had no 6s but did have one failure - the fight/might/tight/right etc one - which I have counted as a 7.

( I have always done it in 'hard' mode.)

Post edited at 16:04
 john arran 11 Feb 2022
In reply to mbh:

I don't really understand 'not' doing it in hard mode. If you religiously use the same two starting words, you only then need to think about, on average, 2 or fewer words, whereas hard mode gives you the fun of also having to think about the second word. Vastly more chance of a twoer as well.

mbh 11 Feb 2022
In reply to john arran:

I agree. It is more fun the hard mode way. 

On my second go today I had all five letters, only one of them in the right place, another in the wrong place. It could only have been...

Sean Kelly 12 Feb 2022
In reply to john arran:

Perhaps it should only exist in 'Hard mode' as it's much more enjoyable to solve!

Bulls Crack 12 Feb 2022
In reply to mbh:

3.43 after 31. I played it in hard mode naturally without realising I hadn't got it turned for few weeks! 

Phil1919 12 Feb 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

What's hard mode?

mbh 12 Feb 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

> What's hard mode?

"Any revealed hints must be used in subsequent guesses"

mbh 12 Feb 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

>3.43 after 31

I need to up my game. I've made a start:

Wordle 238 2/6

🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Jenny C 12 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Thanks to brain fog I can get two daily games for the price of one. This morning managed it in two, this afternoon took six attempts 🤦‍♀️

Moacs 12 Feb 2022
In reply to mbh:

Wordle 238 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

FactorXXX 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

> FYI you can use spoiler tags
> [Spoiler]
> Just enclose the text in the tags (but without the spaces around the word spoiler):
> [ spoiler ][/ spoiler ]

Nice feature, but would it be possible to somehow make it an option when you're starting a new thread or replying to a post? 

In reply to Martin Hore:

I think I'm getting the hang of this now.

Wordle 239 2/6

⬜🟨⬜🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

David Alcock 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Tricky today. I had to put it down and come back to it. 3/6. Av 3.84. 

OP Martin Hore 18 Feb 2022

I see we're back on the correct thread. Do you mean "tricky today" and you still got it in three? Took me all 6 today I'm afraid. And yesterday. knocked my average up a bit.

Martin

Michael Hood 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

First failure ☹️, knew 4 of the letters after 3 but somehow missed the more obvious answer and tried all the more obscure possibilities

Pedro50 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

5/6 today, satisfactory. 

Escher 18 Feb 2022

Same here, several options with those letters

Suncream 18 Feb 2022

Exactly the same here, first ever failure 

Wordle 244 X/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

David Alcock 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I put in a good 2+ hours of notebook time while listening to the wind. I need to get a life.

Tom Valentine 24 Feb 2022

First fail and not at all happy with the answer (unsurprisingly)

ExiledScot 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 250 3/6*

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

I'm not gloating much, i just got exceedingly luck with a wild guess! 

Pedro50 24 Feb 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

Tricky but got it in 5.

Cobra_Head 24 Feb 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Wordle 250 3/6*

> ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜

> ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

> 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

> I'm not gloating much, i just got exceedingly luck with a wild guess! 

Well done, that man

Pedro50 24 Feb 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Wordle 250 3/6*

> ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜

> ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

> 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

Can someone explain in simple terms how to post these images? 

Jenny C 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

When you finish click the green button saying "share". Then "copy" and "paste"

Wordle 250 4/6

🟩🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟨⬛🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Cobra_Head 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Click on share, on the Wordle site, then paste to where you want to copy it to, usually works.

ChrisBrooke 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 250 3/6*

⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

With lucky first words it’s been threes for the last couple of days, taking about 30 seconds a piece. Failed for the first time a few days ago though, with swill. Got to spill, skill, shill and then ran out of goes, which was frustrating. 

Pedro50 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Wordle 250 5/6*

🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Marvellous thanks I feel so grown up now.

ExiledScot 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

i Wonder if the USA will be complaining that it's not a word they are so familiar with. 

OP Martin Hore 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Another 4 for me today. And I'm still on (and liking) easy mode. Following a couple of 6's last week which sent my average above 4, I've brought it back down to 4.0 again. I can't see it wandering far from there now.

As other posters are discovering, often after guess 2 or guess 3 you're left with a list of possible solutions with no choice in hard mode but to try them one at a time and hope you get the answer by guess 6. Not much strategy left at that point - just guesswork. In easy mode you have the chance to eliminate several possible answers in one go by choosing a word that doesn't conform to the hard mode restrictions. I find that more interesting.

Martin

In reply to Pedro50:

Wordle 250 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pedro50 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I think that's fair enough. Play it in easy mode but decline the lazy option of using your two starter words whatever turns up first go.

Post edited at 11:24
 Tom Valentine 24 Feb 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

Apparently they've outlawed words like bitch and sluts but still allow variants on the f and c word.

mbh 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

>As other posters are discovering, often after guess 2 or guess 3 you're left with a list of possible solutions with no choice in hard mode but to try them one at a time and hope you get the answer by guess 6. Not much strategy left at that point - just guesswork. 

Yes, this happens to me often in hard mode. I might give easy mode a go.

Not that I am smarting after two 6s in a row.

JuneBob 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

<<Spoiler Below>>

I didn't know there was a hard mode, sounds a bit irritating, even though I used that tactic today.

This is my 3rd day starting with yesterday's word. 
Wordle 250 6/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛🟩
⬛⬛🟩🟨🟩
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Moacs 24 Feb 2022
In reply to JuneBob:

Wordle 250 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Ha!

magma 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

nice one- thought i could get in 2 or 3 today with first guess

Wordle 250 4/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

In reply to Pedro50:

> I think that's fair enough. Play it in easy mode but decline the lazy option of using your two starter words whatever turns up first go.

Yes, I have two standard starter words "Nails" and "Route" (either order) which use all the 1-scoring Scrabble letters. But I don't always use the second one. If I have useful clues from guess 1, I'll find an alternative guess 2 which gives me more information - usually one which limits further the possible positions of the letters from guess 1 which were in the wrong position. Mostly, now, I'm able, with varying degrees of effort, to list all possible answers before making guess 3. But there's usually too many of them for me to score a 3.

I'm hardly an expert though. No failures yet, but my average of 4.0 isn't sparkling.

Martin

magma 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

are there any daily stats so you can compare with daily average?

In reply to magma:

> are there any daily stats so you can compare with daily average?

I don't think so, but perhaps others know better.

Also I don't know how you score a failure at line 6 as I haven't had one yet (luckily I think). 

Martin

Michael Hood 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

SPOILER - below has clues to Thursday's solution

Wordle 250 3/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My first word is always "store", usually my second is "claim" or occasionally something else that also uses "a", "i" and 3 unused consonants.

However today the "o" and "e" came up green on first row so (unusually) I then chose a word with 4 unused consonants and from there I only found 1 possible solution for row 3 - although I didn't look super-hard.

Nerdle-mini in 2, Nerdle-full in 3, but failed on Worldle again

magma 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

found this self-selecting bunch: https://twitter.com/WordleStats

you'd think they'd release this basic data but they seem more interested in tracking our browsing history..

mbh 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Also I don't know how you score a failure at line 6 as I haven't had one yet (luckily I think). 

I've had one: the eight/fight/light/might/night/right/sight/tight etc one. I counted it as 7.5 in the end, as there were two options left when I failed on line 6.

Since my two 6's I haven't dared work out my average.

mbh 24 Feb 2022

>but failed on Worldle again

Ha! I got it in 6. I was 8000 km to the north west on the first guess and 8000 km to the east on the second. It's a big world.

In reply to mbh:

I'm pretty good on geography and country shapes, so I normally get Worldle in one or two. Today, though, my second guess was one country out - they share a border - so a 3er. I normally do Worldle first, followed by Nerdle then Wordle - in order of easier to harder for me.

PS I'm retired!

Martin

Bulls Crack 24 Feb 2022

With hard mode off?

mbh 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I am not as good at geography as I thought.

For me it is Worldle first, then Wordle then the Guardian Quick crossword. Same order as you for difficulty.

On Sundays I do the Everyman crossword in the Observer/Guardian and that takes anything from an hour to a couple of days. 

Michael Hood 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Yes, but I prefer to say "hard mode not on" 😁 in Wordle (and commutativity enabled in Nerdle)

Although the hard mode will almost always take more goes, and so it is harder in that respect, it doesn't feel as interesting in that you would just be gradually homing in on the solution. Normal mode is more challenging in that you can try and minimise overall by putting deliberately wrong answers in to maximise information - this is usually best done in row 2 so that overall coverage by the first 2 rows is maximised. Often this leaves few possible answers for row 3, but then possibly another choice - go directly for the answer on row 3, or (if too many possibles) put a row maximising elimination of possibilities on row 3, etc.

David Alcock 25 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

251, 4/6. There will be much lamentation and annoyance by the morning! 

Pedro50 25 Feb 2022

Wordle 251 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

After line two, I could only find one possibility. A good day.

Michael Hood 25 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Well done.

Wordle 251 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me 3 to get to the one possibility; I'd just started doing silly things in Excel & Word to generate all possible letter combinations and see which were actual words when the answer hit me.

Carried on doing the silly Excel/Word thing (2197 possible remaining combinations - yes I am that geeky/sad) and there is another actual word according to Word16's standard dictionary - any member of the *****ae zoological family - no idea if Wordle would accept that as a word.

[Edit: Worldle in 3, Nerdle-mini in 3, Nerdle-full in 4]

Post edited at 10:09
 magma 25 Feb 2022

there's another possibility

Wordle 251 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

timjones 25 Feb 2022

Yes there is another possibility, it's an everyday word in my life and  I can confirm that wordle will accept it

Michael Hood 25 Feb 2022
In reply to magma & timjones:

How can you tell if there's another possibility if you don't know what my first three words were so that you know which remaining letters I've got to go in spaces 1-3?

It will no doubt be possible to arrive at the solution by a route that has many possibilities even with most letters known.

In reply to timjones: - not just wild then? [you might be too young] - or maybe not very flexible - both eliminated by my first 2 words

Post edited at 10:58
 Bulls Crack 25 Feb 2022

Might give it a go when I reach 50!

timjones 25 Feb 2022

> How can you tell if there's another possibility if you don't know what my first three words were so that you know which remaining letters I've got to go in spaces 1-3?

> It will no doubt be possible to arrive at the solution by a route that has many possibilities even with most letters known.

> In reply to timjones: - not just wild then? [you might be too young] - or maybe not very flexible - both eliminated by my first 2 words

Sorry I was confirming your other actual word.

As a farmer it was the first possibility that I spotted once I knew the last 3 letters.

timjones 25 Feb 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I had you down as being older than that

Michael Hood 25 Feb 2022
In reply to timjones:

> Sorry I was confirming your other actual word.

> As a farmer it was the first possibility that I spotted once I knew the last 3 letters.

This speaking in riddles is getting difficult 😁

My other possibility (for my row 4) doesn't fit the last 3 letters, it fits 2, 4 & 5.

The two I alluded to in my 10:49 post; 1 fits letters 2-5 (which I presume is the one you're talking about), the other 2, 4 & 5 again. 

Moacs 25 Feb 2022
In reply to magma:

Wordle 251 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Having a good week

timjones 25 Feb 2022

Maybe we should stop speaking in riddles, anyone who is dumb enough to visit this thread before completing the day's puzzle cannot really complain if they see the answer

Myfyr Tomos 25 Feb 2022
In reply to timjones:

Had a good run recently but struggled today - overthinking things. Spent far to much time on it when I had other things to do on a nice afternoon.  

Wordle 251 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

ChrisBrooke 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 252 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Luck sometimes plays a part!

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Wordle 252 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Moacs 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Wordle 252 3/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Hehehe.  Average 3 this week

magma 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

any tips? reading through wordle threads first for clues is a good one or better still searching the list of words, but both are cheating

Moacs 26 Feb 2022
In reply to magma:

I stole one of the starter words from here and use it everytime.  My second word always tries to incorporate the final vowel.  I always try to use the commonest letters I can around the knowns.  And luck.

Double letters always give me trouble; I don't have a great strategy for that.

And of course, I don't tend to post when it runs to 6!

Post edited at 15:51
 magma 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

no trouble today though  with multiple alternative options- hmm

Moacs 26 Feb 2022
In reply to magma:

*Spoilers below*

Started ADIEU (see upthread) - I confirmed letter #3

Second guess was POINT - to include the last of the vowels and N and T are common.

Given P, but in the wrong place, either something ending ##IMP or something #PI## seemed likely.  I guess I could have had SPICY, but didn't think of it and everything else I thought of had another vowel.  So I chose between (in my head) CRIMP and SPILL.  I preferred the double L to the C.  Were there loads more options?  I wanted SPILT but the T was gone.

magma 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

i'll give you that one

Moacs 26 Feb 2022
In reply to magma:

I was trying to help - as you asked about approach.  I didn't realise I was having my integrity judged.

magma 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

only joking- surprised how many people get it in so few (eg 1% get it in 1 according to twitter stats- a self selecting group)

OP Martin Hore 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

> *Spoilers below*

> Started ADIEU (see upthread) - I confirmed letter #3

> Second guess was POINT - to include the last of the vowels and N and T are common.

> Given P, but in the wrong place, either something ending ##IMP or something #PI## seemed likely.  I guess I could have had SPICY, but didn't think of it and everything else I thought of had another vowel.  So I chose between (in my head) CRIMP and SPILL.  I preferred the double L to the C.  Were there loads more options?  I wanted SPILT but the T was gone.

The number of options each of us has on row 3 will depend on our first two guesses of course. I think you still had "crisp", "clips", "slips", "blips" and "flips" as well as the three you mention. So I think you were very lucky to get it on row 3.  I had, I think, just three options on row 3, one of which was the answer a while ago. so I thought it unlikely. Even then, I chose the wrong guess on row 3!

Martin

timjones 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I think slick was also an option and I wouldn't bet against blimp and maybe even spick being possible answers.

There are usually words that you don't immediately spot and there has to be an element of luck in the words that you do or do not know.

Moacs 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Yes, lucky.  Hadn't thought of crisp - and might have taken that.  I don't often guess plurals.

Well, thanks for the rain on my sunshine all!

OP Martin Hore 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

> Yes, lucky.  Hadn't thought of crisp - and might have taken that.  I don't often guess plurals.

> Well, thanks for the rain on my sunshine all!

Yes, I don't know if plurals are allowed as answers. Someone posted a link to the 2000 or so words allowed, but it was on the archived thread I think. I think we have had some grammatical forms before though, and "slips" and "flips" are 3rd person singular verb forms as well as plurals.  Tim Jones suggested three more, although "slick" fails for lack of "p".

Martin

mbh 27 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

>Yes, I don't know if plurals are allowed as answers. Someone posted a link to the 2000 or so words allowed, but it was on the archived thread I think.

I've got that list of words. I analysed it for fun a few weeks ago but haven't looked at it since until today. It is or at least was somewhere on Github.

On going back to it I see that it contains no plurals that end in "s". Whether the NYT still uses it, who knows.

After a bad run I have got my average to dip below 4 again. 3.99 after 47 goes.

Pedro50 27 Feb 2022
In reply to mbh:

Wordle 253 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

🟨⬜🟩⬜🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A bit of a newcomer but 4.05 after 20 days

Post edited at 14:29
 broken spectre 27 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 253 2/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

In two today, one part strategy one (very large) part luck!

OP Martin Hore 27 Feb 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

Another 4 for me today. Only two possible answers (I think) after my normal first two rows (easy mode) . Chose the wrong one.

Martin

In reply to Martin Hore:

I got it in 3 today:

Wordle 253 3/6

🟨⬜🟩⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

There's a definite technique to it. I think Wordle's one of the most brilliant puzzles to be invented in recent times. Partly because, unlike say cryptic crosswords, they don't take very long. V rarely more than about 10 minutes.

I spent about 30 seconds on the first 2 moves (completely standard now), then nearly 10 minutes thinking through the alternatives for step three. What was so lovely is that from those first two moves I became more or less certain that the answer just had to be that. There were virtually no alternatives and they were quite obscure, surely too obscure to be the correct answer.

To enlarge on the technique: for the first two moves you need to come up with two words that use all 5 vowels and the 5 most commonly used consonants. The really important point is that they must contain all the vowels, and of course have no repeated letters. I love the way the logic then powers down on it and leaves you with remarkably few further choices.

I won't tell you what the first two words I use are because that would make it too easy

Post edited at 20:07
 mbh 27 Feb 2022

> I think Wordle's one of the most brilliant puzzles to be invented in recent times. Partly because, unlike say cryptic crosswords, they don't take very long. V rarely more than about 10 minutes.

Cryptic crosswords are like test cricket to Wordle's T20. Both have their place.

I love Wordle. If it weren't for the even quicker Worldle and my wailing cat who wants to be fed it would be the first thing I do each day. But finally solving a slow burning cryptic crossword after a few hours of intermittent effort is very satisfying.

Pedro50 27 Feb 2022

> I got it in 3 today:

> Wordle 253 3/6

> 🟨⬜🟩⬜🟨

> ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

> 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

So you are clearly using easy mode which is the equivalent of top-roping then red-pointing. How can you look yourself in the mirror? 😀

In reply to mbh:

I'm writing a book at the moment and I really get quite annoyed with myself if I waste too much time on cryptic crosswords (often 2-3 hours - an incredible waste of time). Other puzzles I really like are Codeword, the Quick Crossword, and Sudoku, when it's not too hard. Suguru and Word wheel I find quite tedious, really, but again have the merit of not taking too long. The Quick Crossword is very pedestrian but very good for one's vocabulary, obviously.

Post edited at 20:13
In reply to Pedro50:

Shamefully, I haven't explored the other modes yet ... You mean, I've got to go out and risk getting hurt ... and learn how to use "running belays"??

mbh 27 Feb 2022

>The Quick Crossword is very pedestrian but very good for one's vocabulary, obviously. 

The cat fed, that's the third thing I do each day. Well, I am busy too. I only do the cryptic on Sundays when the Everyman comes out. It's easier than most and eventually I get to share my closing travails with my 86 year old mum who has usually done the whole thing in much shorter time than me. It makes her happy and is motivation for me.

In reply to mbh:

Lovely. Yes, the Everyman is nice. But the famed Times Crossword is all over the place, typically ranging all the way at one end from very hard to desperately hard.

(PS. when I first glanced at your post I saw something about you losing your toenails, and I thought what the f is that about?!)

Post edited at 20:41
OP Martin Hore 27 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

> So you are clearly using easy mode which is the equivalent of top-roping then red-pointing. How can you look yourself in the mirror? 😀

I don't agree. "Hard" mode often leaves you with 5 or more options and no choice but to randomly guess one at a time - no skill required from then on. In "Easy" mode, with a lot more thought, you can choose a word that eliminates most of the options. I think "Easy" and "Hard" are the wrong descriptors. It's two different games - which I suppose is not that different to Red-Pointing and On-sighting....

Martin

Moacs 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

> I don't agree. "Hard" mode often leaves you with 5 or more options and no choice but to randomly guess one at a time - no skill required from then on. In "Easy" mode, with a lot more thought, you can choose a word that eliminates most of the options. I think "Easy" and "Hard" are the wrong descriptors. It's two different games - which I suppose is not that different to Red-Pointing and On-sighting....

> Martin

Wordle 254 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Exactly what happened to me today.  Usual starter word, then mop up the other vowel and some common letters... left with a set of gaps and just burned through consonants until I got lucky.

My approach is toast if they ever use CRYPT or similar!

magma 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

think i'm doing something wrong;(

Wordle 254 5/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pedro50 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Wordle 254 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

"Hard" mode. 

mbh 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

A good Wordle day today.

Wordle 254 2/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

OP Martin Hore 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Good Nerdle today

nerdlegame 40 2/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛🟪⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I'm beginning to think that the fewer digits you get right on the first guess the better. I'll be in a fix, though, if they ever move "=" towards the beginning. They've not done so yet, not since I've been playing.

Worldle was extremely easy today too. Now off to try Wordle - always hardest for me.

Martin

PS: Another 4 on Wordle. I think the needle's got stuck...

Post edited at 11:09
 mbh 28 Feb 2022
In reply to magma:

> think i'm doing something wrong;(

Today, the difference between you

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

and me

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

is guesswork.

magma 28 Feb 2022
In reply to mbh:

and possibly utilising recent solutions? are they meant to be randomly generated?

magma 28 Feb 2022

i find this tool speeds the decision making process: https://www.morewords.com/wordle-solver/

Pedro50 28 Feb 2022
In reply to magma:

> i find this tool speeds the decision making process: https://www.morewords.com/wordle-solver/

Dosn't that pretty much destroy the whole point of playing?

mbh 28 Feb 2022
In reply to magma:

> and possibly utilising recent solutions? are they meant to be randomly generated?

Don't know what you mean. I just guessed. I have as many 6s as I have 2s.

magma 28 Feb 2022
In reply to mbh:

duplication of unusual last 3 letters

magma 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

jesting again- if easy mode is top roping then that tool is jumaring or walking around the side

Bulls Crack 28 Feb 2022
In reply to magma:

Using these dodgy means makes folks cheat....maybe 

magma 28 Feb 2022
In reply to mbh:

by guesswork you mean luck?

In reply to mbh:

> A good Wordle day today.

> Wordle 254 2/6

> ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩

> 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That's impressive. It took me 3 moves, and less than a minute:

Wordle 254 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The first two moves eliminated so much. Just about everything. I thought it had to be this, and it was. A lot of people here seem to be exaggerating how much guesswork and luck is involved. With my system the answer is typically more or less forced on me by logic, in just a few moves. I don't think you have to be particularly clever, you just have to tackle it right.

magma 28 Feb 2022

interesting first choice- is that one of your usuals?

In reply to magma:

Yes. I have completely standardised my first two moves now, as I explained above. It astonished me how much it eliminated, i.e. how few options were left. It told me that my last letter, a vowel was correct, and another vowel was in the word but not the 2nd letter. So that left me to find a double consonant at the beginning and another between the two vowels. I could literally only think of one word, using consonants that had not already been eliminated. So I thought it just has to be --*-* where the asterisks stand for particular vowels, and the blanks, consonants that I hadn't used yet. There was only one word I could think of; there was no guessing involved. I put it in, and it was correct. So, precisely zero "guesswork" today.

magma 28 Feb 2022

did you check all options with the tool above? how many options after your 2nd guess?

Post edited at 14:16
 Michael Hood 28 Feb 2022
In reply to magma:

I can't seem to get that tool to deal with multiple rows when NOT using hard mode - does it cope with that or am I missing something (with that tool, I know I'm missing something "generally" 😁)

Michael Hood 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Worldle was extremely easy today too.

Not if you're remembering the names of the major land masses (which aren't accepted so put in nearby answers which I was fairly sure were wrong) but can't remember the name of the political entity - took 4.

Wordle, Nerdle-mini & Nerdle-full all in 3 which seem to be my modal scores.

Edit: but, just done Quordle in 6 (feeling smug)

Post edited at 15:06
 magma 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 254 6/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

In reply to magma:

> did you check all options with the tool above? how many options after your 2nd guess?

No, I didn't use any tool. And as I said, I could only think of the one real option. I think there's another obscure word with a p in it, but I thought that was very unlikely indeed. They don't use very obscure words, but ones that are in everyday use. 

I could explain to you in an email my thought process in solving today's problem if you like. But don't want to spoil it for others by doing that here. My system really isn't very clever, though I suppose as a writer I have quite a wide vocabulary.

Another point, my first two moves can't really be described as guesses. They're the same two words I use to start every Wordle puzzle. It's just a simple process for finding out which very common letters are and are not used in the word. I.e., in those first two moves NO thought process is involved. The third move, though, can sometimes take quite a few minutes of hard thinking.

Post edited at 16:26
 ChrisBrooke 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Another 3 for me today. That's quite a few in a row.  I like to vary the first guess (or two) from vowel heavy, or 'smart tactical choices', to less so. More or less different openers every time. It keeps it fun for me. I'm not trying to be 'the best' and 'win' the game, more just exercise my brain a little. Today for example my opener was: Right. Not a great first word, but I was able to get it two goes later. As Gordon says, there's often enough elimination that there seem few sensible choices remaining. 

Post edited at 17:15
 magma 28 Feb 2022

you have no interest in knowing how many options after your 2nd guess?

In reply to magma:

I've just emailed you explaining the method I used, showing that there were, realistically, NO other options for that third move. Wordle is not so nasty as to use extremely obscure words, but only ones that are in common use.

Post edited at 17:26
 Jenny C 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

If you want to see how quick wordle can be completed check out this:

(I've linked to yesterdays puzzle, so no spoilers)

Pedro50 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

Shome mishtake shirley? 

In reply to Martin Hore:

Today's very hard. Took four moves. The third move took about 10 minutes, and then I was left with something so weird that it took me ages to think of anything. In the end, after about another 10 minutes, thought of one weird word that could just be it. It was.

Wordle 255 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
🟨🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A bit naughty, because it's not English really. I hope I'm not giving too much away.

Post edited at 00:30
 David Alcock 01 Mar 2022

Tut! This is why I almost always do it straight after midnight to avoid spoilers - and those grids of coloured squares can sometimes give enough info to make me consider my starting word.

Anyway, a 4 too here, but the last four days I've tried to do it fast - sub one minute if possible. So, 4 today, 3 yesterday, 2 the day before, and 5 the day before that. Today's nearly took two minutes.

I figured out that if I'm prepared to spend time and come back to it a few times over the course of the day, I can get close to the computer-algorithms' averages (which are around 3.65). And once I'd proved that to myself, it became a bit boring. But I don't have the time, hence 'speedle' (av 3.5, but that's a bit of a fluke for now).

Regarding 'hard mode' - I think of it as 'plodders mode'. Where's the fun? Where's the skill? Where's the beauty? Hard mode is like watching a climber try to use the exact same sequence every time, instead of trying different and more elegant approaches to the problem.

Enough! I've been storing these ruminations up for a while. 

JuneBob 01 Mar 2022

Yeah, 255 is the first game I think people are justified to complain about.

timjones 01 Mar 2022

> A bit naughty, because it's not English really. I hope I'm not giving too much away.

It seemed fair enough to me, what defines a word as "English"?

timjones 01 Mar 2022

> Regarding 'hard mode' - I think of it as 'plodders mode'. Where's the fun? Where's the skill? Where's the beauty? Hard mode is like watching a climber try to use the exact same sequence every time, instead of trying different and more elegant approaches to the problem.

There is nothing elegant in faffing about with infeasible approaches when you have already identified the key moves in a sequence.

Pedro50 01 Mar 2022

Wordle 255 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Seemed perfectly fair to me, not my best day but still 100% success. 

magma 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

luck on my side today

Wordle 255 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Moacs 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Wordle 255 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Dang - I almost made guess 3 instead of guess 2

Michael Hood 01 Mar 2022
In reply to magma:

Trying to work out what your 2nd word was 😁 - I can only see one "really good" possibility

magma 01 Mar 2022

that's the one..

OP Martin Hore 01 Mar 2022
In reply to timjones:

> It seemed fair enough to me, what defines a word as "English"?

Obviously not "as spoken or written in England". I believe we've had two American spellings already. 

Simon Pelly 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I do wonder whether losing a turn if an incorrect word is entered should also be applied to the game?

timjones 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

It was created by someone who lives in America and is now owned by The New York Times, why would anyone expect it to be so restricted in it's choice of words?

ChrisBrooke 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 255 3/6*

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Three for me today. An unusual one, but enjoyable. 
Maybe we could have a 'reverse wordle' game, where you have to guess each other's guesses from the above matrix... 

Post edited at 11:56
 Graeme G 01 Mar 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> Maybe we could have a 'reverse wordle' game, where you have to guess each other's guesses from the above matrix... 

Someone’s always got to take things to the extreme……

Michael Hood 01 Mar 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> Maybe we could have a 'reverse wordle' game, where you have to guess each other's guesses from the above matrix... 

Guess? we'll have none of that if you please. All done by sophisticated deduction and well defined selection criteria (*) when several equally likely possibilities present themselves.

(*) - as in "err, I think I'll go for that one"

ChrisBrooke 01 Mar 2022

Yes, sorry, don't know what I was thinking. Deduce indeed.

broken spectre 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 256 6/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Disappointing result today and I suspect that the above grid might give strategic pointers. Less 'spoiler' more 'teaser'

Pedro50 02 Mar 2022

Wordle 256 6/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜

🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A close shave.

nickprior 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Wordle 256 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Smug or wot!

In reply to nickprior:

Wordle 256 3/6

🟨⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

timjones 02 Mar 2022

Jammy

Moacs 02 Mar 2022

Wordle 256 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

This time, hindsight didn't make me feel I could have got there quicker with a different strategy

In reply to timjones:

> Jammy

Come to think of it "JAMMY" would be quite a difficult Wordle.

magma 02 Mar 2022

jammy not on the list. jolly and lucky are tho

did you use your usual 2 starters today?

now there's a challenge...

Post edited at 15:27
In reply to magma:

Yes, I always use the same two starters.

Bulls Crack 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 256 3/6

⬛🟩⬛🟨⬛
🟨🟩⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Well, there's  the half-century. To try for 3 figures or retire undefeated? Am I that hooked?

Post edited at 15:50
 magma 02 Mar 2022

there's enough info to infer them by now so you may as well tell us..

In reply to magma:

I thought I'd already told you?

TRAIN
LOUSE

Contains all the vowels and 5 of the most commonly used consonants.

Bulls Crack 02 Mar 2022

> I thought I'd already told you?

> TRAIN

> LOUSE

> Contains all the vowels and 5 of the most commonly used consonants.

Or even ROUTE/SLAIN

OP Martin Hore 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Or even ROUTE/SLAIN

Or mine: ROUTE/NAILS

That's "nails" as in "hard for the grade", just in case anyone's in the mood to complain about plurals, or about this completely non-climbing related thread.

But I don't use my second standard word if my first has given me good clues eg 2 vowels, or 3 or more letters.

I'm in "easy" mode, obviously.

Martin

Post edited at 16:47
 Pedro50 02 Mar 2022

In reply to magma:

> TRAIN/OLIVE?

Rather non-u.

In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Or even ROUTE/SLAIN

That might be slightly more effective than mine, because it uses three vowels in the first word.

mbh 02 Mar 2022

Meanwhile, I am still plodding along in duffer mode. I like starting with PIOUS. I've had a 2 from that. Someone I follow on Twitter said her teenage sons started with PENIS. I haven't tried that.

Pedro50 03 Mar 2022

Wordle 257 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩

⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A pleasing day. Et tu?

magma 03 Mar 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Gordon must have got an easy 3 with his starters..

ChrisBrooke 03 Mar 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Wordle 257 3/6*

🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Almost got my first (luck based) two today! Ironically (given that you can easily work out my second guess) it would have been a ‘high point’ for me. 

magma 03 Mar 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

there are 2 highpoint options?

ChrisBrooke 03 Mar 2022
In reply to magma:

I suppose if you were allowed to add an 'e' for a six-letter Irish highpoint...

Oh, yes, a big and a small one I get ya.

Post edited at 10:54
 timjones 03 Mar 2022

> Come to think of it "JAMMY" would be quite a difficult Wordle.

"SASSY" might be even better.

magma 03 Mar 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

tumulus

timjones 03 Mar 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Wordle 256 3/6

> ⬛🟩⬛🟨⬛

> 🟨🟩⬛⬛🟨

> 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

> Well, there's  the half-century. To try for 3 figures or retire undefeated? Am I that hooked?

I think I would hope that at some point within the next 50 days I would have at least one day that was busy and exciting enough to forget to play an online game

Bulls Crack 03 Mar 2022
In reply to timjones:

Indeed! I tend to do it first thing to get my brian in gear for those interesting things ...maybe! 

cb294 03 Mar 2022

Thanks for pointing out quordle, never heard of it before. I first tried it today and managed in 9:

Daily Quordle #38
3️⃣7️⃣
9️⃣6️⃣
quordle.com
🟩🟨🟨⬜🟩 ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩 ⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟨🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜🟨🟨⬜🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩 ⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩 ⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩 ⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜ 🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜🟨🟨🟨🟩
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

cb294 03 Mar 2022
In reply to magma:

Myrrh

cb294 03 Mar 2022
In reply to mbh:

Adieu, which covers loads of vowels, or crane, which is supposedly best from an information entropy POV

magma 03 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

Gordon seem to have the best starter words for the easy technique- also using the most common consonants in 2x5 letter words. i wonder if there are any other 2 five letter words containing AEILNORSTU?

magma 03 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

> Myrrh

jazzy

Moacs 03 Mar 2022
In reply to magma:

crypt

Wordle 257 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

cb294 03 Mar 2022
In reply to magma:

"Jazzy" is actually a word towards which you can "corral" Absurdle, the adversiarial version of Wordle (where the computer switches words to escape your guesses while complying with correct letters).

Bit boring once you know ho to force a solution.

CB

magma 03 Mar 2022
In reply to Moacs:

> crypt

is that another 3rd word certainty for Gordon's method?

Michael Hood 03 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

> Thanks for pointing out quordle, never heard of it before. I first tried it today and managed in 9:

Got my 2nd Quordle "6" today - a real boost for smug factor

The tough one today was Nerdle-full; although I got it in 4, I thought it was pretty sneaky.

mbh 03 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

>.... or crane, which is supposedly best from an information entropy POV

CRANE is 48th on my list of the most 'informative' words, based on scoring each letter by its frequency of occurrence, then totalling the letter scores to get a word score. Is that what you mean by information entropy POV?

I put ALERT/ALTER/LATER top.

Anyway, to make it more interesting I now put almost any old word in first and go from there. In fact, I might devise a random 5-letter word chooser and use whatever comes up. If WORDLE did that for all of us, each of us forced to start from some different randomly chosen first word, that might be an improvement, I think. The mode and modus operandi where you have the same two starting words every day sounds a bit dull.

cb294 03 Mar 2022
In reply to mbh:

Apparently crane is indeed not the best choice because some underlying assumptions about the dictionary were wrong. The underlying argument for the initial choice is here:

youtube.com/watch?v=v68zYyaEmEA&

The wordle dictionary is idiotic anyway, accepting "tacit" but not "latin"

CB

magma 03 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

9 for my first quordle as well- last one a bit tricky?

Post edited at 18:02
 magma 03 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

seems to accept words that aren't in the list eg avine

Sean Kelly 03 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Yesterday was 'Nasty' first time I have ever failed, mainly because of too many options! Grrrrr!

Wordle 257 2/6

⬜🟩🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Post edited at 19:38
 plyometrics 03 Mar 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Good effort on second go today. Nearly blew it yesterday, like you say too many hasty, tasty, pasty options! 

mbh 03 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

Grant Sanderson is very, very good, but I don't understand his point about the likelihood of what will be the final answer, suggesting that certain words are more likely to come up than others. They are randomly chosen are they not from some list?

Anyway in my less sophisticated way than his (although I calculate actual entropy and everything) it is either the best of worlds or the worst of worlds if you start with MAMMA, VIVID or FUZZY.

Moacs 04 Mar 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Wordle 258 4/6

🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pedro50 04 Mar 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Wordle 258 6/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨

⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨

🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜

⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I totally lost concentration, I was listening to R4 Today programme. I repeated two yellow letters from line 3 into line 4 and then had a nerve-wracking time maintaining my 100% record. Phew!

broken spectre 04 Mar 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Wordle 258 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟨🟩⬜
🟩⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I also made a pig's ear out of today's Wordle. Kicking myself now!!

ExiledScot 04 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 258 2/6*

🟨⬜🟩🟩⬜

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

I've been lucky twice in a week! 

Bulls Crack 04 Mar 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Wordle 258 2/6*

> 🟨⬜🟩🟩⬜

> 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

> I've been lucky twice in a week! 

I can imagine.....?

ExiledScot 04 Mar 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> I can imagine.....?

Sadly both on wordle! Things come in threes, maybe i should do the poor mans tax (lottery).

Bulls Crack 04 Mar 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

I was having a punt at your first word!

ExiledScot 04 Mar 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> I was having a punt at your first word!

Ah, yes, you're on the right track then. I generally start with dream, my son starts with audio, he likes to eliminate the vowels (obviously), I think everyone has a differing strategy. 

OP Martin Hore 05 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 259 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pleased with that. I've yet to score a 2, but this one keeps my average heading down below 4 again. Very chuffed to get today's Worldle in 1 - it's not a country I've been to by the way.

Martin

Moacs 05 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 259 4/6

⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And I still could have been twarted by a double letter

mbh 05 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Very chuffed to get today's Worldle in 1

Impressive. That part of the world is difficult.

In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 259 3/6

⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

ChrisBrooke 05 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 259 3/6*

🟩🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Three for me today. 

Moacs 06 Mar 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Wordle 260 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

First time my starter word failed me completely

ChrisBrooke 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Moacs:

You did well to still get three then. Your first must have at least eliminated a good few possibilities. 

felt 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Pretty pattern:

Wordle 260 4/6

🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Moacs 06 Mar 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

I always use the same first - lots of vowels

I was pleased with the second guess.

magma 07 Mar 2022

In reply:

well?

In reply to felt:

Rushed it today (a bit stressed with other things), so not very good:

Wordle 261 5/6

⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pedro50 07 Mar 2022

Wordle 261 3/6

⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜

⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A steady day.

OP Martin Hore 09 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 263 2/6

⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

First two today!  (Probably should just keep quiet about it, but didn't!)

Martin

Moacs 09 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Nice one

Wordle 263 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lhod 11 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 265 X/6*

⬛⬛🟨🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩

Noooo! After nearly getting it in 2, I blew it.

rubble 11 Mar 2022
In reply to Lhod:

same here ... frustrating when you have so may options for that first letter and you run out of guesses!

edited for spelling error ... oh dear

Post edited at 09:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thread auto-archived as it is too large
Loading Notifications...