UKC

Workington

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 29 May 2019

I visited Workington for the first time on Saturday, leaving very early on Sunday morning. We had a wonder out of the town along the river to the coast. Admittedly, it was raining, which won't have helped, but we all found it unremittingly grim. 

People were lovely and it's obviously near some nice places, but the place depressed me. Have I got it wrong?

I come from somewhere with a less than perfect reputation, but I think it is a wonderful place to live.

Graham Booth 29 May 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

Yawp, shit hole

Jon Stewart 29 May 2019

> People were lovely and it's obviously near some nice places, but the place depressed me. Have I got it wrong?

No.

Ridge 29 May 2019

Nowhere near as bad as it appears. Some very nice areas out towards Seaton and Camerton, cracking views of the fells from the top of the slag banks , decent amount of cycle paths, plus probably the friendliest parkrun going.

Plenty of grimmer places in the UK.

Ridge 29 May 2019

...like Rochdale

Dreadful area to live, you wouldn't want the ability to climb on Scafell, Gable or Pillar after work on a summers evening would you? 

OP The New NickB 30 May 2019
In reply to Ridge:

> ...like Rochdale

There were a group of six of us, all with strong Rochdale connections, five currently currently living there and at various times everyone basically said the same thing "and people slag off Rochdale!"

Lord_ash2000 30 May 2019

There are certainly worse places on and around the west coast but it isn't somewhere I'd live personally. You've got pretty quick access to the lakes and obviously very quick access to the coast but the town it's self is a bit of a dump.

If you go inland a bit there are plenty of nice little villages and small towns dotted around though. Cockermouth is nice but I wish they would stop building more houses as it's starting to become a not so small town these days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...