UKC

World War 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 18 Jan 2013
I was thinking the other day about this. Do you think it will ever happen?
 Tony the Blade 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

With everything going on in the Middle East, it feels like we're on the verge already. If you speak to folks in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq etc I'm pretty sure they'd feel slap bang in the middle of a world war.
 Only a hill 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
According to Star Trek it's due at some point mid century...
 cuppatea 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Future historians might say that it's already happening.

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
― Albert Einstein

In reply to Blizzard: I feel like we have been on the verge of WW3 since 1982. Perceptions and reality are clearly not always bound together.
In reply to Blizzard: No. Though I suspect the media will try and convince us that it has.

Were I a betting man, I'd stake my money on the next conflict to involve nuclear weapons also involving India, either through conflict with Pakistan or China. Naturally, I would hope never to win such a bet.

T.
 jkarran 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

> Do you think it will ever happen?

Yes. Has it already started and would we notice if it had?

Will we see another clash of huge standing armies with basic weapons like WWI and WWII? It's hard to imagine but it's certainly possible.
jk
Cappa 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
> According to Star Trek it's due at some point mid century...

Thought I should say how amusing I found this....... very.

I don't think there will be a conflict like WW1 or WW2, neither one involving nuclear arms, i think there would be far more lost in that eventuality than can be gained.

Although that being said; India, China and Pakistan as mentiond above.

IMA 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard: As mentioned it will probably depend on what you consider a WW. Methods of war have changed, conflict is as constant as ever just in further removed locations.

Given human nature I am sure mankind will see another war which involves conscription for soldiers or technical expertise before we die out, but it will need a war on our doorstep not thousands of miles away.

Would be nice to believe it wouldn't happen, however it is an effective method of population control when resources become scarce. So it would be nice and slightly more realistic to say I hope they are fought by the 'professionals' and the civilians are generally left out (doubtful).
abseil 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
> ...Do you think it will ever happen?

Well it's nearly happened once since WW2 already, in 1962 - Cuban missile crisis. So my guess is yes.

In reply to Blizzard: The USA has a vested interest in keeping the world thinking we are on the verge of WWIII, it justifies their lunatic "defense" spending.

The US spends 4.8% of its GDP on its military. .

Consider the twenty-seven non-US NATO countries and two important non-NATO allies of the US: Australia and Japan. Look at how much of their GDPs those twenty-nine countries spend, on average, on their militaries:

The non-US NATO members plus Australia and Japan spend 1.5% of their GDPs on their militaries.

All but one (96.96%) of those twenty-nine countries spend half or less of their GDPs on their militaries than the 4.8% of its GDP which the US spends on its military.

Eighteen (62.1%) of those twenty-nine countries spend one third or less of their GDPs on their militaries than the 4.8% of its GDP which the US spends on its military.

Eight (27.6%) of those twenty-nine countries spend one fourth or less of their GDPs on their militaries than the 4.8% of its GDP which the US spends on its military.
 cuppatea 18 Jan 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

Ever read State Of Fear by Michael Crichton?
A scared population is more easily managed.
The new "cold war" is Climate Global Warming Change..maybe it should be population and resource management ..
In reply to cuppatea: I have. I thought it a poor novel.

T.
marmot hunter 18 Jan 2013
In reply to cuppatea:
Yep, Governments invent the next thing to fear to control us: radical Islamics and 'terrorism' alongside Climate Change being the current favourites. Good book
In reply to Blizzard:
Have you read General Sir John Hackett's book on the subject ?
 Edradour 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
>
> If you speak to folks in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq etc I'm pretty sure they'd feel slap bang in the middle of a world war.

Really? For what reasons?

wilding 19 Jan 2013
In reply to marmot hunter:
> (In reply to cuppatea)
> Yep, Governments invent the next thing to fear to control us: radical Islamics and 'terrorism' alongside Climate Change being the current favourites. Good book

Invent radical Islam? Are you one of those 9/11 denial nutters?

The only thing invented to cause fear that i can remember was the Y2K bug, with planes falling our of the sky etc. But it did seem that our whole society seemed to be in a state of delusion about Y2K.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...