UKC

Yes, they are laughing at you, Donald

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/25/trump-united-nations-genera...

has anything like this ever happened before?

we seem to be living in an era of ‘firsts’. But not in a good way.

toad 25 Sep 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

shitsticks. Do I "like" this? Do I laugh? Do I run away and hide?

In reply to toad:

Yes 

still, at least it’s shown us that if being POTUS doesn’t work out for him, he can always fall back on a career in stand up comedy 

Though given how bad it ‘not working out for him’ could get, i expect we’d all need cheering up by that stage.

Derry 25 Sep 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs

The guy is seriously dense. He truly believes in what he says, and if HE says it then everyone will believe him. Then enter a room of highly intelligent elected officials and spout the same shite that your redneck supporters believe. I'm afraid Don, they're not buying it.

And worst of all, he doesn't really get why they're laughing.

What a guy.

Timmd 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Derry: Donald Trump's Trump Tower used to be the second highest building before 9/11 happened, and apparently when 9/11 happened, he tweeted how tragic it was, followed by his building now being the highest building in New York. He's not like any other person, any 'normal' person. 

Clauso 25 Sep 2018

I really enjoyed it!

It was like watching the crazy bloke at the end of the bar spouting off, and having the entire pub sniggering at him.

More of this sort of thing! 

balmybaldwin 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

This is true except one detail. on 09/10 his building was third highest. But yes he bragged on a radio interview that his was now the tallest building (in fact 2nd). He is that callous

The good thing is we can laugh (nervously) at him and the predicament America has voted itself into. The same disillusionment and manipulation of information is having a heavy influence here too. Just look at the Tory Brexit mess, the Tommy Robinson affair, Labour's anti-semitism problem, etc.

Andy Gamisou 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> Donald Trump's Trump Tower used to be the second highest building before 9/11 happened, and apparently when 9/11 happened, he tweeted how tragic it was, followed by his building now being the highest building in New York. He's not like any other person, any 'normal' person. 

When I listened to this I don't really think he conveyed any particular sense of the tragic - at least not to me.  More like morbid excitement.  As your say, his main initial focus was on how his building was now the tallest.  Followed by a bunch of bullshit (he knew which organisation had caused it, there were bombs on the planes that caused the collapse, each floor of the WTC was nearly the size of a city, around 30,000 had been killed, etc). 

It wasn't in a tweet btw - it was a phone in interview to a local TV station (twitter didn't appear until several years after 911).  They didn't really convey a sense of tragic either.  Prior to the interview the (w)anchors seemed more gleeful than you might expect.  Plus they sure liked to stoke Drumpf's ego.

jkarran 26 Sep 2018

> has anything like this ever happened before?

That rare moment of cringing embarrassment is chilling. It's the same look we saw when Obama mocked him for the conspiracy nonsense that ultimately took him to the Whitehouse.

jk

jon 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> Donald Trump's Trump Tower used to be the second highest building before 9/11 happened, and apparently when 9/11 happened, he tweeted how tragic it was, followed by his building now being the highest building in New York. He's not like any other person, any 'normal' person. 

I quite liked that story Tim, very Trumpish and yet another reason to hate the oaf. However I googled It and wiki has Trump Tower as 82nd highest at 202m. Is there another Trump Tower?

Timmd 26 Sep 2018
In reply to jon:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-bragged-tallest-building/

Aha, it was downtown Manhattan, not New York. 

Andy Gamisou 26 Sep 2018
In reply to jon:

> I quite liked that story Tim, very Trumpish and yet another reason to hate the oaf. However I googled It and wiki has Trump Tower as 82nd highest at 202m. Is there another Trump Tower?

Are you implying that Drumpf would not lie about such things?   I think he (Drumpf) was talking about Manhattan rather than NY as a whole, although even then he was wrong (there was at least one building in Manhatten taller).  Not that the orange idiot would care.

[Edit] Ah - type too slowly.

Post edited at 11:17
 jon 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Ah, thanks.

Andy Johnson 26 Sep 2018

Yes it's funny, and it reveals yet again what a shallow, vain, unaware person he is. But it's also a distraction. The loose nexus of people around Trump are busy destroying the fabric that holds together important aspects of how the world works, and re-making it for their own benefit. Trump is presumably going to be irate about being laughed at; but for the like of the Koch brothers and the rest it's just a useful distraction. They know what they want and they're going to keep on making it happen.

krikoman 26 Sep 2018

It was amusing, thought to be fair he sort of recovered well, "not the reaction I was expecting". I was surprised he'd notice to be honest, let alone come back with anything meaningful.

The problem is, it'll be another reason for him to dismiss the UN, so he's already withdrawing funds that support Palestinian refugees, already thinks the UN supports Iran, and generally sees the UN as another enemy. I think the fact they laughed at him might make him throw more dummies out of his pram.

Andy Johnson 26 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

John Bolton used to be US ambassador to the United Nations and is well known to hate the UN. Now that he is in a position to influence Trump, I think there's a pretty good chance that a second-term Trump presidency with a decent majority in congress would see the US withdraw from the UN completely.

"We reject the ideology of globalism, and we embrace the doctrine of patriotism."

Rob Exile Ward 26 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

He's not unique though 0 I've long thought that *some* businesspeople succeed because they are so utterly self centred and oblivious to anything other than their own interests they just don't get it.

I've worked with a few like that, typically they do OK but they don't build lasting businesses...

dread-i 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

>The loose nexus of people around Trump are busy destroying the fabric that holds together important aspects of how the world works, and re-making it for their own benefit.

I think that Trump is a useful idiot. I don't suppose that he thought up a lot of the current policies that the US is employing. He seems to be surrounded by a bunch of frothing, priapic free market types making suggestions. But, to give him credit, his own ravings are pretty frothy.

For some on the right and alt-right he is the messiah. He's certainly a godsend for the hedge funds.

krikoman 26 Sep 2018

> ...... a decent majority in congress would see the US withdraw from the UN completely.

Maybe we could move the UN to the UK, somewhere up north though, think of the jobs it could bring!

I’d never heard of the Koch brothers until today. Interesting article from today’s guardian on them. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/26/koch-brothers-americans-for...

We fight these battles on taxes and regulations, but really what we would like to see is to take the unions out at the knees, so they don’t have the resources to fight these battles,” one top AFP staffer has explained about his group’s thinking.

toad 26 Sep 2018

also from todays Guardian, my new favourite DT description:

Hell Toupee

Andy Johnson 26 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> Maybe we could move the UN to the UK, somewhere up north though, think of the jobs it could bring!

I reckon we'd be up for that here in Manchester. Piccadilly Plaza looks very similar to the UN building in New York. They'd be right at home. We have trams and everything.

Alternatively the UN Geneva office might do.

Post edited at 12:39
 Andy Johnson 26 Sep 2018
In reply to dread-i:

> I think that Trump is a useful idiot. I don't suppose that he thought up a lot of the current policies that the US is employing.

I agree. I think his vanity and lack of introspection make him perfect for the job of figurehead, and his volatility and dislike of detail means he can be manipulated. All it requires is to stoke his ego while whispering suggestions into his ear, and he thinks the policies are his.

My working theory is that this was tried with George W Bush, but he turned-out to be smarter and more independently-minded than his backers realised. Trump is version two.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting some kind of vast, organised right-wing conspiracy of the "secret headquarters under island volcanos" type. Just an array of very wealthy and powerful people with interests that intersect sufficiently to make cooperation worthwhile. Like the Kochs, they're pretty-much all known-about and they don't care because they're too busy getting what they want.

Post edited at 13:07
 hokkyokusei 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> Donald Trump's Trump Tower used to be the second highest building before 9/11 happened, and apparently when 9/11 happened, he tweeted 

He tweeted? On twitter? In 2001?

felt 26 Sep 2018
In reply to hokkyokusei:

No, he was a bird at the time, one of the passerines, can't remember which.

Timmd 26 Sep 2018
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> He tweeted? On twitter? In 2001?

Right, the next time a relative tells me something, I'm going to google about it first before posting it online. Family are supposed to be reliable too. Aargh,  

n1ge 26 Sep 2018
In reply to jon:

> I quite liked that story Tim, very Trumpish and yet another reason to hate the oaf. However I googled It and wiki has Trump Tower as 82nd highest at 202m. Is there another Trump Tower?

He wasn't referring to Trump Tower but 40 Wall Street (currently known as The Trump Building) which was built in 1930 (briefly the world's tallest building) but bought by Donald Trump in the 90s. 

Root1 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Thats because they are psychopaths. 

Offwidth 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Root1:

More bollocks on a thread full of bollocks complaining about Trump talking bollocks. Oh the irony. 

Remember folks more than half of white college educated voters put their cross on the ballot for him. Its not madness or being fooled its about tribalism in the Republican party and financial self interest.

Arms Cliff 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> Remember folks more than half of white college educated voters put their cross on the ballot for him. Its not madness or being fooled its about tribalism in the Republican party and financial self interest.

not quite, but I guess 'nearly half' doesn't sound as good  https://edition.cnn.com/election/2016/results/exit-polls 

Offwidth 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Arms Cliff:

Sorry, my stats sources say white college educated. I hadn't spotted that might be different from graduates before.. clever anti-Trump spin maybe?. Quite funny given my complaint. The majority of male white college gradutes certainly voted for him. My point is he does enough stupid shit without the need for exaggerating or making stuff up.

Post edited at 10:44
 Arms Cliff 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

And the psychopath thing is potentially not bollocks either https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrismyers/2017/05/02/3-signs-your-ceo-is-a-ps...

Lusk 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> Right, the next time a relative tells me something, I'm going to google about it first before posting it online. Family are supposed to be reliable too. Aargh,  

Remember where you're posting ... UKC.  You must be 100% accurate or be prepared to be pulled up on it.
That goodness we have people like Offwidth to educate us. Oh no, hang on a minute ...

Tringa 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Derry:

> In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs

> The guy is seriously dense. He truly believes in what he says, and if HE says it then everyone will believe him. Then enter a room of highly intelligent elected officials and spout the same shite that your redneck supporters believe. I'm afraid Don, they're not buying it.

> And worst of all, he doesn't really get why they're laughing.

> What a guy.

Agree. The thing I find worrying is that either

(a) he actually believes what he says, which appears to be the situation because he clearly thought there would be huge applause,  or

(b) he doesn't believe but thinks everyone will be taken in.

The first indicates some one who is deluded, the second shows him to be con artist. Neither should be anywhere near any power.

Dave 

Offwidth 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Arms Cliff:

It is bollocks I'm aware there are many CEOs who appear to show sociopathic or psychopathic tendancies but they havent been tested formally and they are in a minority and part of the 'method' of such people is not to display this to the outside world. Big buisness believes the economics they follow, irrespective of the mental health of their leaders. Blame governments... how many of the big bankers involved in the 2008 crash were prosecuted let alone returned bonuses?

krikoman 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> Sorry, my stats sources say white college educated. I hadn't spotted that might be different from graduates before..

Oh! dear sounds like a typical Trump stat. to me, leave the blacks out of the equation.

Ian W 27 Sep 2018

He does appear to be on top form.....his press conference from yesterday regarding the sexual misconduct alleged against Brett Kavanaugh was "interesting".

Offwidth 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Lusk:

Ignoring the tiresome ad hominen, I'm genuinely concerned as I've used that fact about the % of white college educated voting for Trump many times (correctly),  thinking there would be no big difference to those who graduate (why would the white college educated who failed to graduate be such a different voting demographic?). It indicates political spin against Trump that I've fallen for. The difference in overall numbers are around 3% which needs at least doubling for the non graduates as most white college students do graduate. I'd also point out all of this comes from exit polls (Bloomberg and others have challenged their validity) and the numbers are close so we all have to be a bit careful. It is around half. I've also pointed out that the Trump result shows that tribalism and self interest can 'trump' 'intellect' in voting decisions. The ~50% is for all voters... its much higher in white Republican supporters who were at college and those who graduated. I've also said many times I don't think most people are significantly less 'intelligent' just because they didn't get a college or Uni education. It seems that other motives seem more important in votes such as for Trump and even Brexit (where the education demographics were stark), than 'intellect'.

Post edited at 12:57
 MikeSP 27 Sep 2018

Maybe he's been taking Fox News to seriously and trying to 'follow' us

https://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2016/jun/24/uk-votes-to-l...

nufkin 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

>  It seems that other motives seem more important in votes such as for Trump and even Brexit (where the education demographics were stark), than 'intellect'.

It might also be argued that quite a lot of people who punched the 'Trump' box weren't necessarily voting for him per se but for the Republican party - or against Hillary/the Democrats/the establishment etc. Perhaps a trivial distinction given the outcome is the same, but it does mean that people who voted for him shouldn't simply be dismissed or stereotyped as blinkered idiots

Root1 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Arms Cliff:

> And the psychopath thing is potentially not bollocks either https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrismyers/2017/05/02/3-signs-your-ceo-is-a-ps...

Quite right. There was an excellent article in one of the science mags recently. Psychopathy is quite common, your boss may be one. Most are not axe wielding maniacs, but people with little or no empathy. They can be very calculating and manipulative and often very good at what they do ( or convincing others that they are). They often get into positions of authority, which usually ends up not being a good thing for their subordinates. They often have orange hair do's????

Bellie 03 Oct 2018

And in latest news, he tells us how he has been brought up to believe someone is innocent until proven guilty.  This - on the back of jail her jail her.... crooked Hilary Clinton etc.  He must have said brought up to believe 'a man' is innocent.... 

He 'tears in eye' says how hard it is for a man these days with sexual allegations.  He must hark back to the time when it was ok to 'grab pussy'.

P45 for P45 please

fred99 03 Oct 2018
In reply to Bellie:

He must hark back to the time when it was ok to 'grab pussy'.

Pardon me, but I never believed it was "OK" at any time - quite the opposite I would have thought.

Post edited at 11:11
Bellie 03 Oct 2018
In reply to fred99:

Clumsily written by me Fred.  Rather he probably believed there was a time it was - or that he could do it with impunity anyway.

Given the amount of times he speaks of the good old days when you could do <insert whatever here>.

fred99 03 Oct 2018
In reply to Bellie:

I had a feeling that might have been the case.

With regard to the "good old days", I do wish we could deal with this sh*t (and his fellow sh*ts) in a "good old days" (or medieval) manner - burning at the stake is one suitable option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...