UKC

Yesterday's vote in Parliament

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 13 Jun 2019

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/labour-mps-vote-against-motion...

Has anyone seen any links to analysis of the logic in the Labour rebel position here that don't involve having to view tweets (if 6 of the Labour MPs listed in the link above had supported the motion, it would have won)? The rebels were: Kevin Barron, Ronnie Campbell, Jim Fitzpatrick, Caroline Flint, Stephen Hepburn, Kate Hoey, John Mann and Graham Stringer.

gravy 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Lost on the way to the lobbies?

john arran 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Would be fascinating to know what dirt Kate Hoey must have on Corbyn for her still to be around.

Trevers 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> Has anyone seen any links to analysis of the logic in the Labour rebel position here that don't involve having to view tweets (if 6 of the Labour MPs listed in the link above had supported the motion, it would have won)? The rebels were: Kevin Barron, Ronnie Campbell, Jim Fitzpatrick, Caroline Flint, Stephen Hepburn, Kate Hoey, John Mann and Graham Stringer.

Kate Hoey is UKIP, she's mad for no deal.

Other than that, there's some names in there that haven't previously rebelled. I'd assume Mann and Flint are doing their usual Brexit virtue signalling to keep hold of their jobs, and probably the same for most of the others.

jkarran 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> Kate Hoey is UKIP, she's mad for no deal.

She often just sounds mad.

> Other than that, there's some names in there that haven't previously rebelled. I'd assume Mann and Flint are doing their usual Brexit virtue signalling to keep hold of their jobs, and probably the same for most of the others.

Most of the rebel MP's constituencies are on the coal measures aren't they? My guess is you're right, they're spooked by UKIP II and getting a hard time from their constituents where Farage's backers are no doubt dumping money on advertising to foment trouble.

jk

Trevers 13 Jun 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> Most of the rebel MP's constituencies are on the coal measures aren't they? My guess is you're right, they're spooked by UKIP II and getting a hard time from their constituents where Farage's backers are no doubt dumping money on advertising to foment trouble.

That sounds highly plausible. It's a difficult position to be in, no doubt. However, being an MP is supposed to take a bit of moral fibre. Appeasement won't work. Plus I think it helps to perpetuate negative and damaging stereotypes about Northern working class Labour voters.

neilh 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

And we think the Tory Party has problems.....

Tpo be fair to Hoey she has always been a vociferous exiter even though her constituency voted remain.

Is it not upto her local party to dump her?

Andy Hardy 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Trevers:

IIRC Hoey is MP for Vauxhall, where they voted overwhelmingly for remain, so she is definitely not attempting to keep her job by virtue signalling.

jkarran 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> However, being an MP is supposed to take a bit of moral fibre. Appeasement won't work.

I agree and I think they're wasting their time trying it, they won't be forgiven for blocking brexit or delivering it, some of them do need to accept events have regrettably overtaken them.

jk

RomTheBear 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

What this means is that parliament has now no means left to stop a no-deal Brexit, other than a vote of no confidence.

Dave Garnett 13 Jun 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> She often just sounds mad.

John Mann's pretty obnoxious too, despite his sucking up to the BMC! 

krikoman 13 Jun 2019
In reply to neilh:

> Is it not upto her local party to dump her?

And then be accused of a witch-hunt That's what usually happens, after which she'll accuse someone of anti-Semitism, blame Momentum and the rabid lefty minority, that's taking over the Labour party.

krikoman 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> John Mann's pretty obnoxious too, despite his sucking up to the BMC! 

There's a word for him, it starts with a massive CAPITAL C.

It's not Comrade.

subtle 13 Jun 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> > Is it not upto her local party to dump her?

> That's what usually happens, after which she'll accuse someone of anti-Semitism, blame Momentum and the rabid lefty minority, that's taking over the Labour party.

So, you agree that the rabid left have taken over the Labour Party, and it is in fact a die-ing entity, which is a shame and as much to blame as the Conservatives as to the mess the Uk currently find itself in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...