UKC

Yoga

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 17 Jan 2015
How great is yoga? I've been meaning to try it for years, but time, money and a resistance to spending time in classes with wanky hipsters called Tarquin has put me off.

However, I found this channel on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

I've been doing her "30 days of yoga" challenge. I can't believe how hard it is and how good it makes you feel. In fact, it's like home made soup; just one of those things you just know is doing you good.

I'm surprised more climbers don't rave about it, given how tight, sore and hunched climbing can make you.

Anyone else a yoga evangelist?
 girlymonkey 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

I don't do yoga, but I do static trapeze. Much of the warming up and conditioning is yoga based, but the trapeze bit of it makes the whole thing much more fun! I do rave about it to other climbings, it's great training, but no one joins me in it!
Their loss

Yoga is brilliant. Cost's nothing with the right book . Give it time.
 alx 17 Jan 2015

its easy to cheat a lot of the body positions if you are new and do not have someone to correct your poses. I would recommend finding a good class, you will progress quicker. Not only does your new found flexibilty help you keep your center of gravity closer to the wall in climbing, the exposure to people from different walks of life may help you cure the case of biggotry you have going on.

Xxx Tarquers
 The Lemming 17 Jan 2015

The smart money is on Pilates.

Yoga is good but if done wrong will cause more injuries than good.

I've done both, and personally, Pilate's works for me.
 Jon Stewart 17 Jan 2015

Before I started climbing I did yoga semi-seriously for a couple of years and swore never to give it up. It is fantastic. Then I started climbing and I find it way more interesting. I don't really have the time nor inclination to do both.
Removed User 17 Jan 2015
yoga is great I started 20+years ago with a guy I met at the gymn he was a keen golfer and I a climber, we were discussing the worth of yoga a few weeks ago, he plays competitively and has been made the captain of his club
and I can still manage E4 at times we are both in our late sixties and the people we used to go out with are fading away
whilst we still still keep going!
 Kimono 17 Jan 2015

yoga's great!
but my advice is to take classes with a well-qualified teacher. Its not something to learn from a book or a dvd

ps its my job
OP Yanis Nayu 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I think I'll have a lesson or two to put me right in a few areas.

I'm not sure though how a teacher can keep an eye on 8 or so people and stop them hurting themselves, especially if the teacher is throwing a pretzel shape at the time, so I'd go for a one to one.
 Alyson 17 Jan 2015

I've done various yoga classes over the years, had one or two fabulous teachers and some not so good. Mostly I just practice at home now. No other form of exercise makes me feel 2 inches taller at the end of a session!
 Kimono 17 Jan 2015

> I think I'll have a lesson or two to put me right in a few areas.

> I'm not sure though how a teacher can keep an eye on 8 or so people and stop them hurting themselves, especially if the teacher is throwing a pretzel shape at the time, so I'd go for a one to one.

i can very easily keep an eye on a group of people...that's the job!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...