UKC

Adobe CS2 - Free download

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Douglas Griffin 08 Jan 2013
I don't know if this has been posted already but Adobe are currently allowing free downloads of CS2. It's relatively old (2005?) software but may still be of use to some people:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Review here:
http://russbarnes.co.uk/blog/2013/1/review-the-great-adobe-giveaway
 tony 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Nice one! Acrobat Pro 8.0 as well, which is a big bonus for me.
 ChrisJD 08 Jan 2013

Awesome!

The whole Creative Suite-2 is downloadable!

Is there a catch??
 Jim Lancs 08 Jan 2013

I tried but . . .

Since then I've read this:

"There has been clarification since this story broke. Adobe has not released the CS2 software for free. Instead, it has cancelled its CS2 license management servers, so for those with existing licenses it is now offering downloads that do not require contact with the licensing servers. This service is only going to be available for those with existing Adobe CS2 licenses, which will be verified when creating the Adobe account to download the software."
 JDal 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Lancs: Well my CS2 has just worked ok. I'm not sure if I'll use it because I've got Elements & Lightroom, but I may stick it on a laptop.
 TMM 08 Jan 2013
In reply to JDal:

Interesting. What are you actually downloading from the download index page?
 JDal 08 Jan 2013
In reply to TMM: Photoshop only.
 another_mark 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: I took the links from http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/adobe-cs2-creative-suite-free-1437132

Just had photoshop running (with rosetta) on my intel macbook.

I'm going to put it on an old g4 mac for my daughter. Only problem is finding my old OS/x disks cos its failing to start at the moment.

(if anyone has an install disk for a G4/667 mac tower, I'd appreciate a copy)
 ChrisJD 08 Jan 2013

I'm already using Photoshop CS3, so CS2 no use.

Have downloaded and got InDesign/InCopy/Acrobat8 all working on a Win7 64 bit machine.

PremierPro2 couldn't import GOProH3 files, so have removed.

You don't even need an Adobe Account to download. Looks like Adobe have accepted their big mistake and are now just letting everyone download and get on with it.
In reply to ChrisJD:

I only use Lightroom so I don't know whether I'll even bother to download CS2 myself. I might because I really ought to learn how to use Photoshop one day.
 ChrisJD 08 Jan 2013

I rarely use Photoshop, but its useful to have for some things That LR4 can't do
 JDal 08 Jan 2013
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
>
> I only use Lightroom so I don't know whether I'll even bother to download CS2 myself. I might because I really ought to learn how to use Photoshop one day.

It's well worth having - there is a lot of stuff PS can do that LR can't in the touch up/layer manipulation kind of area. I knocked 3 ins of wor lass's hips and got a "see, you can take a good photo of me" comment.
In reply to JDal & ChrisJD

I tend to limit post-processing to cropping to the preferred aspect ratio (usually square or 4x5) and perhaps a bit of highlight recovery, with some minor adjustments to contrast and (very occasionally) saturation. Lightroom can handle all of these plus a bit of dodging and burning.

I really need to learn about layers though, so am downloading it at the moment.
 TMM 08 Jan 2013
In reply to TMM:
> (In reply to JDal)
>
> Interesting. What are you actually downloading from the download index page?

Following the instructions in the link above and below I have the full CS2 suite working in Windows 7.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/adobe-cs2-creative-suite-free-1437132

Thanks to the OP for alerting me to this offer!
 Sean Kelly 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: Could be a good sales gimmick as they hope that new users might update to one of the later versions. Be aware that it might be time served, and might not work after the initial trial period has expired, which is what used to happen in the past.
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Could be a good sales gimmick as they hope that new users might update to one of the later versions.

I don't think there's any doubt that this is at least part of their motivation.

> Be aware that it might be time served, and might not work after the initial trial period has expired, which is what used to happen in the past.

I've downloaded 30-day trial versions of Lightroom in the past. There's no indication anywhere that this is the same.

steve taylor 09 Jan 2013

Can it be used commercially?
 Toby S 09 Jan 2013
In reply to steve taylor:

I'm trying to find that out just now, it could be very, very helpful for us if it was!
 The Pylon King 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Toby S:

What would stop you using it commercially?
 Toby S 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:

Ts & Cs might stipulate that it's only for home use. I'm downloading Elements just now to see what it says. Quite often you find software is free if you're using it at home but they'll charge if you plan on using it for business use.
 The Pylon King 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Toby S:

but how would "they" know?
 Toby S 09 Jan 2013

We get audited. The auditors would know and I'd get my arse kicked.
 steve taylor 09 Jan 2013

Hi Mark - there could be something in the metadata with the license info - unlikely, but someone could pick up the photo and find you've been paid by a magazine after tweaking it in p-shop, and grass you up to Adobe.

Highly unlikely, but possible? I don't actually know, but there's a lot of metadata in a TIF...

You've got a pukka copy anyway, haven't you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...