UKC

Alpine photos by L. Fauraz, anyone heard of him?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliptic 13 Aug 2013
Bit of a long shot this.

I recently picked up a rather fine old black & white framed panorama of the Chamonix valley and the Aiguilles in a charity shop, taken in the early 1900's by the look of it. The photographer credited is one L. Fauraz of Annemasse.

Googling the name turns up plenty of hits on catalogue sites and ebay (for postcards of the Alps etc.) so he clearly had an established business, but there's no information on the man himself.

Just wondered if anyone knew the name and could add any background.
 felt 13 Aug 2013
In reply to elliptic:

I've asked for you on French wiki, in rather ropey French, I'm afraid. You might be more likely to get an answer there than here. You're right, he's one elusive cat, Monsieur Fauraz. Nothing at all on Google Books either, which normally throws up something not found by your everyday Google.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Oracle/semaine_33_2013#L._Faura...
 djellworth 13 Aug 2013
In reply to elliptic: Hi - this may be a long shot, but is it definitely "Fauraz" as you stated? It just struck me that if this is an old signature could "Fauraz" look like "Tairraz" which as I am sure as lots of you know is a famous Chamonix photography dynasty. Apologies if wasting time!
 felt 13 Aug 2013
In reply to djellworth:

If I might answer on his behalf, there was definitely an L. Fauraz of Annemasse who made lots of alpine postcards/photos.

Just Google "L. Fauraz" Annemasse and you'll see.
 felt 14 Aug 2013
In reply to elliptic:

Fr wiki has already provided a useful answer, although still lacking in detail. Unless you go to the area and look up public records I fear that it's probably about the best you'll get! Perhaps I'm wrong, though...
OP elliptic 14 Aug 2013
In reply to elliptic:

Thanks guys, so looks like he was a publisher of prints and postcards rather than the original photographer.

Given that I guess it's quite likely it was actually taken by one of the Tairraz father/son. I'll keep looking and see if I can pin it down any further.

When I get a moment I might put it up here in the historical section, it's quite an interesting document of the valley before the Midi cable car etc.
OP elliptic 15 Aug 2013
In reply to elliptic:

Uploaded now and waiting for moderation.
 felt 19 Aug 2013
In reply to elliptic:

That's rather lovely, thanks for posting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...