UKC

Any Micro Four Thirds users in the room?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 The Lemming 02 Jul 2024

May I ask if you've mix and matched lens brands with a camera body?

Anybody used an Olympus lens on a Panny body especially?

If so did you have any problems?

stani 02 Jul 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

My dads got the olympus omdmk1 micro four thirds and he does mix and match with some other lens brands.

Hope it helps

OP The Lemming 02 Jul 2024
In reply to stani:

Does he have any problems and will the image stabilisation work please?

smbnji 02 Jul 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

> May I ask if you've mix and matched lens brands with a camera body?

Yes I have 

> Anybody used an Olympus lens on a Panny body especially?

No, other way round 

> If so did you have any problems?

It worked, but you can only pick either body or lens stabilization, not both. IIRC this might vary depending on body+lens combination. There were plenty of forum posts with specifics for different models.

In reply to smbnji:

I'm thinking of getting an Olympus 300mm prime for my Panasonic camera but I don't want to splash the cash if the camera and lens will not play nicely with each other.

In reply to The Lemming:

Not Olympus lens on a Panasonic body, sorry.

Only ever used one non Olympus/OM Systems lens on their cameras; a Panasonic 100 - 400 lens. No problems ever with that as far as I know, but hard to tell if the in lens stabilisation works as an addition since the in body stabilisation now a days is very good anyway. 

Initial testing years ago suggested that I was one of the lucky ones with the 100-400 lens in getting both working together, but I’ve upgraded camera since and it is so good that I’ve never bothered to re test. The setting in camera is to use both, and on the lens IS is on and there have not been any problems leaving that way. 

smbnji 02 Jul 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

Maybe this is of interest (G9 + 300mm f4 PRO IS):

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4672822

> Optically and electronically, it's fine. Focus might be a tad slower than on an OM, but it won't be a big problem. What won't work is "Sync-IS": the lens stabilization and IBIS won't work together. You'll still get stabilization, but maybe only 4-5 stops instead of the 6+ you'd get on an OM body.

In reply to The Lemming:

The 300 mm is an incredible lens IME and is my go to bird lens. Olympus used to do in shop promotion demos so check out if OM Systems is continuing those. You could take your camera along if they did. 

Certainly worth consideration even if you don’t get the ILIS and can live with that (assuming it works with the Panasonic body satisfactory otherwise). You may (probably will ?) have a problem I guess if also using a teleconvertor if light levels get too low.

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I have no desire or interes. Sincve I got my Panny 200mm I have been blown away at how freakin sharp that lens is. I thought my 100mm-400mm was sharp but compared to the Prime Lens its a kit lens.

And I want more of that prime goodness because a 200mm focal range is just a tad too short.

With my 100-400mm lens I hardly go beyond 300mm, and maybe 350 at a push but then things start to get soft.

I was thinking seeing as I'm shooting at 300mm then I may as well get a Prime lens.

In reply to smbnji:

Interesting about the 1.4 converter.

I got my 200mm second hand and it did not come with the converter. Hmmm

Toerag 02 Jul 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

Had the Panny 20mm on my E-M5. It worked fine. Was slow to focus sometimes, but that was the same on all bodies according to reviews. Got rid of it as you couldn't focus it in the dark manually (no focal distance lines on it).

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> The 300 mm is an incredible lens IME and is my go to bird lens.

I'm counting on this. Here is my 100-400mm lens set to 180mm. When I took this shot I was very please with it especially after I put it through the Topaz sharpening washer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the1lemming/52212459496/in/dateposted/

However a year later I shot the Red Arrows with my 200mm Prime lens. This did not need any of that Topaz trickery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the1lemming/53120877370/in/photostream/

Both were shot with the same camera body. Just the lenses were different to show the comparison on sharpness and image quality. Both at 4000th a second and shot wide open respectively.

Post edited at 13:24
 Dunthemall 11:51 Tue

Other options:-

I am using a Tamron 500mm Mirror on my OMD1 and the body stabilisation works fine. They go for silly cheap prices. I am using an Adapall-2 to m43 mount.

Very light to carry and you either love or hate those donuts.

? Do all bodies allow you say the focal length of a manual lens.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...