UKC

Anybody got a Panasonic GH5?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 09 Feb 2020

I went out to play filming the waves on Blackpool prom today and got swamped by quite a few large waves. Both the camera and myself took one square in the face while stood behind protective barriers. Don't worry, I got the "Money Shot" at 96fps.

If the camera does not dry out from all the salty water that dripped out of it, then I may be in the market for a new toy.

Anybody got or used a GH5 and used or played with a GH4?

If so is the Auto Focus of a GH5 better, worse or the same as a GH4?

Post edited at 17:23
 ali_colquhoun 09 Feb 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes I have used both GH4 and 5 a great deal at work. The GH5 is a much better camera and improves upon a series of problems that the GH4 had. We use the GH5s which is better for video. Excellent dynamic range and colour. Generally I use vLog on the GH5s which is very grade-able as you can record in h265 10-bit. I wouldn't bother with log on a gh4 as it is only 8 bit and it will start to fall apart in the grade. 

The auto focus is decent but I mainly use manual for what I use them for so I don't want to say too much about that aspect of it! 

It's probably the best DSLR for video, Sony A7Sii is excellent but needs a bit more finessing and not so robust. 

OP The Lemming 09 Feb 2020
In reply to ali_colquhoun:

That's great to hear. I've had my GH4 for about 3 years now and it should be done for Trade Description. Waterproof my arse.

So it got hit by a few waves during a bit of wind today on Blackpool prom.

I'm glad that the AF is no worse than the GH4 as I'm now in the market for a new camera and I don't want to buy new glass.

Cheers

> I wouldn't bother with log on a gh4 as it is only 8 bit and it will start to fall apart in the grade.

I know what you mean, well from an amateur viewpoint. I settled on Cine Like D and then titillated in Resolve for my little YouTubes.

ali_colquhoun 09 Feb 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Cool. Happy to help.

In case you have money to burn and shoot only video check out the Z cam E2, they are properly amazing. They come with MFT mount and lenses so would work with your current kit. Bit different shape and so on to a DSLR though. 

And how much would I need to pimp it out?

If the Black Magic 4k camera did auto focusing, I would have one of those in a heartbeat.

Toerag 11 Feb 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I assume you've given your camera a rinse? If not the salt will crystallise in the crevices and open them up.

PS. you plum, got a link to the footage yet? :-D

Post edited at 11:57
OP The Lemming 11 Feb 2020
In reply to Toerag:

I'm on holiday at the moment in YorkshireLand however when I get back I shall bore you all with my Storm Ciara shinnanigans.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...