UKC

best free video editing software

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jim hughes 14 Aug 2013
I am looking for a free basic editing program that isnt movie maker, any suggestions welcome.
In reply to jim hughes: Picassa's good for basic stuff or for a free photoshop type program the Gimp!
 rallymania 14 Aug 2013
In reply to jim hughes:

if you've out grown movie maker, i'd suggest sticking your hand in your wallet for sony vegas it's not expensive. £24 for the previous version about a £10 more for the current one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Vegas-Movie-Studio-Platinum/dp/B0051M6I9O/ref=...

a lot of people use vegas so you'll get loads of help on line.

(and yes i know... i didn't actually answer your question, sorry about that!)
jim hughes 14 Aug 2013
In reply to rallymania: I have used vegas alot in the past and have it on my desktop pc but I am going away for 2 months armed only with a net book so am looking for a basic package to use.
 snapperdan 14 Aug 2013
In reply to jim hughes: If you're only using it once get a 30 day trial of Premier off Adobe.
 The Lemming 14 Aug 2013
In reply to jim hughes:

You could always try Adobe Premier Pro 2

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5727-adobe-premiere-free.html
jim hughes 14 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming: I think I will give that a try, thanks
 Dominion 14 Aug 2013
In reply to jim hughes:

Not in full (openSource) release yet, but worth keeping an eye on is Lightworks - Windows version already, and OS X and linux on the way as Beta reelase etc etc. I'm going to be having a look at it sometime next week, I think...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightworks

You may have seen some of the films created using it...

For example : Pulp Fiction, Braveheart, Batman, The King's Speech
 Marek 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to jim hughes)
>
> Not in full (openSource) release yet, but worth keeping an eye on is Lightworks - Windows version already, and OS X and linux on the way as Beta reelase etc etc. I'm going to be having a look at it sometime next week, I think...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightworks
>
> You may have seen some of the films created using it...
>
> For example : Pulp Fiction, Braveheart, Batman, The King's Speech

I had a look at this about a year ago. Looked very capable, but you had to build everything up from scratch. I suspect that all the really useful (labour-saving) bits don't make it into the open source version.
 Dominion 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Marek:

I'm only aware of it because I saw an article earlier this week in a very recent Linux Magazine, and I have to admit that I only really clocked the article and the name with a view to having a look at it.

I'll see if I can find the article tomorrow at work. I think they were suggesting that (the linux version) wasn't available simply as packages and you had to do a bit of work to install it, but for me that's not going to be a problem.

The Lemming 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to jim hughes)
>
> Not in full (openSource) release yet

I think its the closest Adobe will admit to freeware

Photoshop CS2 is a free-bee too. I never progressed from that as it served all my needs. Its still too powerful and complex for me.

rallymania 14 Aug 2013
In reply to jim hughes:

what sort of spec is your netbook? (CPU/RAM/screensize)
what type of video are you going to edit? (HD?)
are you going to try and render out finished films... or just do dirty edits to see how they might look?

the reason i ask is...
i used to have a netbook, dualcore atom n450, up it to 2gb of RAM and put in the crystal decoder card. it could playback gopro videos just about smoothly.
but the screen size and CPU performance made actual editing pretty pointless
a gopro sourced edit (720p) about 5 minutes long, just a background music track, basic fade transitions, an intro and outro title screen and a sprinkling of colour correction... i gave up trying to render it out after 2.5 HOURS in adobe media encoder. the machine really wasn't up to the job.

my core 2 quad and old nvidia GPU desktop took about 20 minutes to put that into perspective.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...