UKC

Best used compact camara that shots RAW.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 03 Nov 2018

Im after a new or used compact camara to take with me up mountains. I already take a full frame canon 5d with me, but this is in my bag most of the time and only comes out when i see something realy worth shoting. The thing is there are also times when i could have taken a photo and couldn't be bothered to take off my rucsack get out and set it up take the shot and put it all by again. I think if i had a compact i could acssess quickly from my rucksack hip belt pocket that took realy good images l would get a lot more shots and that would defo be the cast for wildlife. Im not after just a good compact im after something that takes impressive quality shots. Probably buying used so priced about £200 or lower if posable, doesn't have to be all singing and dancing latest model (use a canon 5d mark 1 at the moment) just  taken really good quality images. The only thing i would like is it must shot RAW.

Jon Read 03 Nov 2018
In reply to Russell Lovett:

I've been using the Panasonic Lumix LX-5 for years (which also indicates its robustness, often a limitation on compacts). No doubt more recent versions are even better. The Richoh GR series also has its fans.

Mr. Lee 03 Nov 2018

Bought my girlfriend a Panasonic TZ70 last year. Shoots in RAW. Surprised by the quality. Quality is much better than the spec would suggest. Much better than my old RX100 mk1 despite the lesser spec on paper.

Tom Last 03 Nov 2018

Pancake lens for the 5D and keep it out of the bag? 

In reply to Tom Last:

Interesting surgustion will take a look at these.

In reply to Tom Last:

Nice idea, but very little choice and then fixed focal lenghs no zooms.

IM 03 Nov 2018

You could probably pick up a Canon G1X mrk 1 for that money. Big for a compact but built like a brick. Large sensor and very good IQ. Still one of my favourite cameras.

Snowdave 03 Nov 2018

> Im after a new or used compact camara to take with me up mountains.  think if i had a compact i could acssess quickly from my rucksack hip belt pocket that took realy good images l would get a lot more shots and that would defo be the cast for wildlife. Im not after just a good compact im after something that takes impressive quality shotsThe only thing i would like is it must shot RAW.

Olympus TG-4...f2.0 lens, shoots in JPEG or RAW, does exposure comp & microscope mode (10mm close focus)....& I sell my shots from it on two microstock sites which are in the top10.

Basically its the best small camera in that size range/sensor range...images won't be as full depth sharp as a bigger camera with a bigger lens, but that's the compromise..But on 24" photo quality graded monitor you can't tell the diff until you 100% pixel count..

HeMa 03 Nov 2018

Sony RX100 or Lumix LX series. 

ChrisJD 03 Nov 2018

Have a look for a 2nd hand Canon G7X - been impressed with images I've seen from a friends G7X.

craig h 03 Nov 2018

Also use a Canon, but sometimes like to be free from the clutter of a DSLR and lenses. I've used a Canon G7 MK II for a couple of years both on the hills, climbing and for my work (rope access). A great wee camera to essentially have in your pocket without compromising the quality of the images taken. New it's well above your budget, but you'd probably get one second hand for around £200.

Mike Hutton 06 Nov 2018

Hi Russell

I am selling my Sony RX100 mark 2 for £200

Best quality compact I have owned.

In reply to craig h:

Best price that I've found for the Canon G7X mk2 is £355 from Tobydeals.

I'm buying one.  1" sensor 24-100mm lens f/1.8-2.8  RAW option

Can get larger zoom in Sony or Panasonic cameras but slower glass f/2.8 -4.5

craig h 07 Nov 2018
In reply to Eduardo Martinez:

What you loose in zoom you gain in the quality of the image, surprised how tight you can crop and still have a stunning image.

Only downside is the articulated screen at the rear, think it's a bit of a gimmick anyway. Have replaced screws twice now, but it does get some abuse.

Robert Durran 07 Nov 2018

> Only downside is the articulated screen at the rear, think it's a bit of a gimmick anyway.

A bit to my surprise, I've found the tilting screen on my camera really useful. Great for holding out from cliff edges and belays to take photos looking down, for landscape shots taken very low down and, while sight seeing, when holding the camera above my head to get above the sea of selfie sticks.

craig h 07 Nov 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

I does have it's uses, but not when it keeps falling off

Currently held in place with 'Duck' tape again, with the G7 the mechanism is only held in place with a small screw on either side.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...