UKC

Bluebells

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 02 May 2019

I've just been out for what I like to call a 'run', and it turned into a glorious afternoon out there.  Seen my first ducklings of the year, that and the new lambs bouncing about is always a very cheery sight. 

I think it's been a few years since we had a springy 'bluebells and where to find them' thread, seems to have suddenly become a very good year for them in the Peak so I thought I'd start one now.  In the photography forum because I know people like to take photos of them, and if anyone gets a particularly good one they'd like to share, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

So my tip, just outside the Peak, North of Sheffield on the Wharncliffe side:

There is a particularly magnificent display going on right now in the Bitholmes and Wantley Dragon Woods.  (Shortest approach is steeply up the path from the road at SK295958 ish.)  Some other rather beautiful patches dotted around the Broomhead & More Hall reservoirs.

Deadeye 02 May 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

> 'bluebells and where to find them'

Well, here in the beechwoods of the Chiltern hundreds, the answer is absolutely *everywhere*.  One of the best displays for years and an amazing scent as you walk through.

The eastern edges are starting to have more of the larger Spanish bluebells, which is a shame as they out-compete the natives.

girlymonkey 02 May 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

It's not a big spread of them, but I have a lovely wee patch under the apple tree in our garden 😊

The Lemming 02 May 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I'll get me coat.

youtube.com/watch?v=0bnW0fZsNhc&

PaulTclimbing 02 May 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

A wall to wall carpet of bluebells from floor to summits used to be at the splashes near Llanwrthwl. Beyond gobsmackingly beautiful a generation ago. In my mind they are still there.

Post edited at 23:14
 ClimberEd 03 May 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Other end of the Chilterns. Wall to wall bluebells every year. Fabulous. 

hang_about 03 May 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Lots in Ecclesall woods at the moment - seem rather vibrant this year

ChrisBrooke 03 May 2019
In reply to hang_about:

Bluebells are one of my favourite things. Imagine my delight when I moved to a house next to Ecclesall woods and found it to be the most fantastic bluebell wood. They're stunning at the moment. 

OP deepsoup 04 May 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I'd have to admit I don't think I could tell the difference between the Spanish bluebells and the native ones.  The scent is very subtle, I find I can barely smell it at all unless I'm surrounded by *lots* of flowers, but it is lovely. 

OP deepsoup 04 May 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

> Other end of the Chilterns. Wall to wall bluebells every year. Fabulous.

Consistently?  There are always some but around here their numbers seem to vary a lot from one year to the next, and apparently this is a very good year for them. 

On a less cheerful note the bracken is also awake and beginning to arise.  The bloody midges will be out and about soon, so we'd best all enjoy this time while we can!

Mike-W-99 04 May 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

The valley to the east of Rannerdale Knots is worth a look. It’s visibly blue from the higher tops.

ClimberEd 04 May 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

yeah for sure, every year I can remember.

Mike_d78 04 May 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Here's one taken the other day, bluebells and my dog.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129407392@N03/40807339833

It is a lovely time of year, can't help but marvel at the sweeps of blueness on the woodland floor.......

In reply to deepsoup:

On a photographic note it is widely recognised that delivering an image of the 'true' colour of bluebells is quite difficult. Clear sunny days with blue skies tend to over emphasise that colour. My own preference is for bright but overcast light to portray them.

OP deepsoup 04 May 2019
In reply to Mike_d78:

What a fantastic photo!  Best portrait I've seen for ages.

Mike_d78 05 May 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks he's a good lad, stayed nice and still for me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...